6-6-6 - winners and losers

Remove this Banner Ad

That might be true for a run of goals in a quarter. But when a side continues to get hammered for the following 2-3 quarters that excuse doesn’t really fly. They’ve had breaks to fix their issues and for coaches to address any strategical errors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If we are getting flogged in games I will blame us for not playing well, not 6-6-6

Not sure the players all trying to get back and cover ground coupled with fewer rotations or coaches instructions was a great spectacle.
Just looked like a lot of badly fatiguing players butchering the footy and some who were just too cooked to chase or be involved later in games.
Hopefully injuries don’t increase noticibly as a result.

I agree with this 666 limits defensive options....going to be some irony when the rules changes simultaneously causes an increase in on-sided uninteresting (for the neutral) games and lower overall scoring!
An absolute belting is usually more fun for neutrals than an easy 30-40 point win. It’s like looking at a car accident.

An absolute belting is usually more fun for neutrals than an easy 30-40 point win. It’s like looking at a car accident.
Not for me generally turn over if a one sided game (unless the result in someway affects theTigers) or I've flicked over and it's the 4th quarter and some sort of record is on the line. Close games are what I like as a neutral.

On POT-LX1 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Not sure the players all trying to get back and cover ground coupled with fewer rotations or coaches instructions was a great spectacle.
Just looked like a lot of badly fatiguing players butchering the footy and some who were just too cooked to chase or be involved later in games.
Hopefully injuries don’t increase noticibly as a result.
Exactly. The AFL want a more continuous and quick game with minimal contact. Basically AFLX. Which means players are spent and skill levels suffer hugely. That was the worst round of football I've ever seen. Skills were awful across the board and unwatchable at times. I really hope it was down to lack of preseason games and not these ridiculous new rules. Time will tell, but I'm firmly in the camp of "there was nothing wrong with our game, we should have left our game alone".

Well we got some scoring by the end of the round... two hotly fought free flowing shootouts. Just that one team in each match got shot early and failed to fire shots for most of the game.

Gerard Healy claimed on Fox that the average score from a centre square bounce has been 18pts per game over the last 5 years. Today's Saints v suns game has had 49 points from centre bounces and we have over 1/4 to go

This is exactly how I felt about the weekend - win a clearance = kick a goal. I actually found it more boring than previous seasons

We were a Rd 1 loser. And I think we are a side that the rule typically favours.

Our forward structure was bit makeshift and the game favoured ground level players. McGovern and Barrass didn't take a lot of marks and Barrass in particular didn't look confident marking instead of spoiling. We struggled to find an answer to Cameron deep inside 50. He, McCarthy and Rayner kicked 9 between them compared their talls who like ours were mostly anonymous. I reckon without the 666 rule we would've played Hurn loose in defence at each centre bounce and tried to clog up defensive 50 and slow the pace of the game when they had momentum.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IF, and its a big if they bring this into the game, it would have to be in the middle of the ground.
Same thing, imagine a player on his lonesome on the outer wing running to pick up the loose ball but has to stop dead at the halfway line while the ball trickles 1m onto the other side and comes to a halt and the player just watches helplessly as the other team waltz over from 20m away and pick up the easy possession and waltz away towards their forward line. What a great advertisement for the game that would be.:rolleyes:

I wonder if we all got it wrong when we thoguht not having a spare man back would make it easier to score quickly.

What are the stats I wonder of a quick kick forward out of the middle beng cut off by the spare man and going the length ofthe ground quickly for a score.

Take hawthorn for example. How many of their goals came last year from losing the centre clearance and having the ball driven forward into their forward line omnly to be cut off by Sicily who in turn bombed it 55 metres forward past the congestion of the midfield group?

Interesting to hear Jack Viney on his 6-6-6 rule indiscretion. Said that he was on his way off ground but was turned back by the bench. He made a sprint to the forward 50 but the umpire told him to stay out. Probably thinking he was a wing sneaking into forward 50. Then Melbourne got penalised for not having 6 in the 50. I guess confusion got the better of everyone. Obviously didn’t impact the outcome however it’s not an ideal situation.

Something Ive noticed this week is that teams are now slowing games down when 3-4 goals up due to the potential for two quick goals. I think teams are exposing the 666 rule and in turn making last quarters boring.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

None of my mates are fans of this new rule; it doesn't appear to have achieved what it was supposed to do.

The footy seems less intense and exciting.

Not sure the changes with the runners have been a positive either.

Should've just left it alone.
Agreed. For some reason I'm sure people more smarter than me could explain, the game this season has been horrible to watch. Is the game too continuous allowing for more tired players which equates to poor skills? Should have left the game alone. We had the best GF in living memory played last season and Gil and the boys change up the rules. The 1st round was the worst round of football i think I've ever seen and it hasn't gotten much better. Too many teams maybe? Too many blokes getting a game who should be nowhere near AFL? It's one of the closest start to a season ever, yet one of the most boring unfortunately..

Something Ive noticed this week is that teams are now slowing games down when 3-4 goals up due to the potential for two quick goals. I think teams are exposing the 666 rule and in turn making last quarters boring.

Sent from my SM-T815Y using Tapatalk

We've had a stack of exciting finishes. The fact that three goals is more gettable quickly now more than anything else means that games are more in the balance at a given margin.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back