Roast The media....*Shakes Head* Part 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah fine. I just don't think it's worth going to war over. Eddie was pretty good yesterday.
Commentary in general wasn't bad, considering the rank tools in the box. They occasionally spoke about port and didn't outright barrack for the Vic team. Refreshing.

I watched quite a number of games over the summer and found myself enjoying older games a lot more than the modern stuff, not because of game style, but because of the endless pablum puked by the commentators. Last night I watched the Lions/WCE game and finally, there is a commentator who doesn't tell us what we can see for ourselves (or even worse, what didn't happen). Bravo Adam Papalia, who calls quietly, doesn't waste words and whose minimalist approach seems to keep the paid-by-the-word expert commentators in check. In the tradition of TV soccer commentators, Richie Benaud and the great Doug Heywood.

He later on admitted he'd mistakenly referred to Boak as captain. And yeah it wasn't the worst commentary yesterday.

Something came up about a player in "black and white" to which he chuckled "enjoy it while it lasts"

So screw him

His attempted banter with Dwayne Russell about Dwayne’s Port roots felt superweird at times.

Like, he was giving Dwayne an easy narrative regarding the working class club giving it to the silvertails and Dwayne was straightbatting it like he was trying to sneak into the long room at the MCC.

His attempted banter with Dwayne Russell about Dwayne’s Port roots felt superweird at times.

Like, he was giving Dwayne an easy narrative regarding the working class club giving it to the silvertails and Dwayne was straightbatting it like he was trying to sneak into the long room at the MCC.

Perhaps Dwayne's family are 'old money' Pooraka.

This will not surprise too many of us but it is worth a mention.

I watched the game at my local yesterday without sound. I watched a replay this morning with sound. When I was watching at the pub I thought Tom Rockliff got a lot of the ball. In fact he got the ball over forty times. When I watched the replay with sound Rockliff hardly got a mention from Russell, McGuire and Co. maybe his named came up a dozen times over the game. It seems to me that the FOXTEL crew are simply not skilled at calling the players who work inside the packs, maybe it is too hard. They save their call for the players who take the marks and kick at goal.

I would say there was more comment on how poorly Max Gawn was playing than telling the public how well Rockliff was playing. Save for one mention about Rockliff's limited pre season in 2018 Tom hardly rated a mention.

On the subject of FOXTEL the promo slide for the Melbourne v Power game featured a photo of Max Gawn and Rory Sloane. Is this a standard slide for all AFL games or don't the Foxtel crew know the difference between Adelaide and Port Adelaide?

View attachment 640680
That is so pathetic

I mentioned this to REH on the phone last night.

Eddie has given Dwayne the greatest single leg up to talk about Port I’ve heard anyone give us since we went national and Dwayne responds with...

“Melbourne are an old footy club too”

****ing hell.

Commentary in general wasn't bad, considering the rank tools in the box. They occasionally spoke about port and didn't outright barrack for the Vic team. Refreshing.

To say that the FOXTEL coverage was OK because they were not biased toward the Victorian opposition lets them off the hook to a certain extent. It should be a 'given' that viewers in all States have a right to expect unbiased commentary. Viewers also have a right to a competent commentary in which all players are called not just the player receiving the football.

Eddie has given Dwayne the greatest single leg up to talk about Port I’ve heard anyone give us since we went national and Dwayne responds with...

****ing hell.
We should invite someone else to our events and videos. If anyone ask why, we should simply say that he is "an old footy commentator too"...

To say that the FOXTEL coverage was OK because they were not biased toward the Victorian opposition lets them off the hook to a certain extent. It should be a 'given' that viewers in all States have a right to expect unbiased commentary. Viewers also have a right to a competent commentary in which all players are called not just the player receiving the football.
Sure, it's just I've come to expect so much less.

****ing hell.

Dwayne has been living in Victoria for too long. When Dwayne first hit the media around fifteen years ago he was the only member of the media pack who had anything positive to say about us but these days he is just another member of a Victorian biased media. I reckon fifteen year ago Dwayne would have pounced on that opening but these days he goes along with the others.

****ing hell.

Crows supporters swear Dwayne is soooooo biased towards us but I find the complete opposite. I reckon he over compensates the other way. Apart from singling out a researched point and then banging on about that point 7 times during the broadcast eg... "his maternal great great great grandmother arrived at Port Misery on a ship named The Jolly Alberton and now he plays at Alberton" schtick, he really doesn't blow our horns at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crows supporters swear Dwayne is soooooo biased towards us but I find the complete opposite. I reckon he over compensates the other way. Apart from singling out a researched point and then banging on about that point 7 times during the broadcast eg... "his maternal great great great grandmother arrived at Port Misery on a ship named The Jolly Alberton and now he plays at Alberton" schtick, he really doesn't blow our horns at all.
I actually reckon he still loves Port heaps, but he goes too far in trying to be the opposite of someone like Eddie McGuire who cant disguise his bias!

Last edited:
Dwayne reaches climax more than any other commentator whenever Eddie Betts goes near the ball. If you didn't know his history, you'd swear he was a Crows supporter. If I ever have to watch a Showdown again with him commentating (likely) I think I'll be tuned to the radio instead.

I actually reckon he still loves Port heaps, but he goes too far in trying to be the opposite of someone like Eddie McGuire who can disguise his bias!

Yeah I think it's this. You can tell from the work that he does directly with the club that he still loves the PAFC, but IMO he overcompensates the other way when he's commentating our games to a national audience. If only a few others would follow his lead.

Russell jizzes over Betts because Betts is an exciting player. It’s like McAvaney and Rioli.

The thing is - I’d rather listen to a passionate call that is biased over drips like Roos who are analytical and biased. It was like he couldn’t fathom that Port were just a better side than Melbourne and thought that it must be a tactical failure on Goodwin’s part.

Dwayne is great at hosting Port Adelaide events, you would swear he never left the docks (or Pooraka). Then he commentates and his Vic-centric persona takes over.

Our performance saved us from a Melbourne spoogefest in the commentary box. After Melbourne kicked a couple of goals, they were already talking about a 10 goal quarter.

Dwayne is great at hosting Port Adelaide events, you would swear he never left the docks (or Pooraka). Then he commentates and his Vic-centric persona takes over.

Our performance saved us from a Melbourne spoogefest in the commentary box. After Melbourne kicked a couple of goals, they were already talking about a 10 goal quarter.
Don’t foreget that Craig Bradley is another Pooraka old boy. For the little time that Poraaka was in the Port zone we certainly did OK.

Don’t foreget that Craig Bradley is another Pooraka old boy. For the little time that Poraaka was in the Port zone we certainly did OK.

One of the two lived on the Port side of the road that divided it from North's zone.

and don’t forget when the SANFL mysteriously gave us the Salisbury North zone to piss off Cenrals. We got a pretty good full forward - Scotty Hodges - from that deal.

and don’t forget when the SANFL mysteriously gave us the Salisbury North zone to piss off Cenrals. We got a pretty good full forward - Scotty Hodges - from that deal.
Scotty was never on our zone. He just refused to play for Centrals and they traded him to us for a player that never amounted to anything.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Scotty was never on our zone. He just refused to play for Centrals and they traded him to us for a player that never amounted to anything.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
We also paid them so dough from memory. He played a half I think in a junior game for them, got to the changerooms at half time, took the guernsey off and said 'Nope' and left. Brilliant.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back