Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton V Port Adelaide Saturday 30th March 5.10PM @ Adelaide Oval - TEAM - Post #727

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
charlie v hoff on a wing thoughts guys?

7811840_1498988505.jpg

MV5BMTI5OTI0NDkxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMjExMTQxMw@@._V1_.jpg

charlie by a mo..........

Daisy's also moving as well as ever has at Carlton. Applied some seriously good defensive pressure last night.
daisy
Jones to Westhoff...he's their most dangerous tall forward without Dixon and Jones is our best 1v1 defender.

Problem is Westhoff roams around the ground a lot...and Jones is only good as a fullback.
In terms of running ability and endurance Weiters would be the best fit...could be a good test for Weiters to see if he's really improved.
Rowe would be nice around now...

If it were me ide be giving Plowman the job on Grey, Jones to Westhoff when he’s forward. Stop them two and we go go a long way to winning.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Port gonna take the 2018 Brisbane approach - we may be young and inexperienced, but we can still attack the footy and the man and make them hurt.

Need to get on the front foot and put some hurt on them. Legal hurt, but hurt all the same. A little concerned we could get bullied out of this one.

I reckon Melbourne is overrated. They were well beaten in their last match.
They didn't score at all in the last quarter, Gawn was targeted by the whole team and couldn't respond. And they seemed to run out of legs. I think the Blues are fitter and can run out the game stronger.
I don't rate Port as being a real contender. Need to Shut down Westoff and put a hard tag on Rockliff with Ed.
(I know Bolts is not into tagging, but I think this strategy could work for us) Can't let Rockcliffe get 40+ possessions.
This is a very winable game. Our Blues will be cleaner with the ball and not overuse it, compared to last week.
And Charlie owes us a big response from last week's crap effort.
Blues by 21 points. Semi-confident. :thumbsu:

Brisbane can pull off an upset win against West Coast, by taking the game on.
It's our turn this week, to pull off the upset.
I don't think anyone was expecting all the game results from last week.
I believe we have enough talent and fitness, to take it up with any team on any given day. If we play 4 quarters) it
Following a 9 day break, pretty confident, next Saturday will be our day.

Not a fan of Polson right now given his one-dimensional game, but I feel he was more match-ready than Fasolo. Plus he is guaranteed to make more of a presence on the field. Don't think efforts in practice game sway the decision. Bolts simply loves him.

We don't need a negative pressure forward in our forward line when we have Curnow, Cunningham and Gibbons able to play some pressure football up forward.

Fasolo might not be more than a good average player right now but he does have the ability to have a 10 minute purple patch and actually impact the scoreboard.

Polson doesn't have that ability.

We are still quite a few weeks away from being able to field our best 22 and best 22 is always required especially at start of season when every side is still fresh. Bolton mentioned a couple of times that winning games is important and came close to losing his cool when asked about comparing last year's side to this year's side- he said "13 player changes means there is no comparison to be made"

My read of his body language was that Bolton was frustrated by result against Richmond and expected to finish a lot closer if not scrag a win. I expect changes to team as players become available - and they may be 'available' ahead of lousy VFL fixture. That 40 point start ceded to Richmond was a terrible start to the season, whilst catching up was a great show of fight - a lot of energy was spent in having to do so - I was equally shocked at how easily the team gave up the positive momentum it had striven so hard to achieve - blokes that don't kick goals which are there to be kicked - need to fix this aspect of their game fast - morale destroying to miss three relatively easy shots and coach killing.

Port are playing 2 mobile rucks - Carlton is playing a good tap ruck with not much mobility and even less endurance - I didn't like seeing Harry dragged from forward line ( where he was the most dangerous forward) to play for extended periods in the ruck - waste total waste. What a pity TDK is now out for an extended period - he was starting to look very impressive.

Gibbons / Phillips / Garlett / and Fasolo where not up to the standards displayed by their counterparts and it cost us - Charlie hopefully had his worst game for the year, McGovern is playing catch- up fitness due to his interrupted pre-season but at last he is a natural footballer - and I don't know what to say about the Ed experiment except - good luck with that.

Can't go into the game against Port at their home with that amount of probable under performance 'locked in' as far as player performance goes and structural mismatch - Phillips and Garlett were always going to be the risk points as well as Ed's decision making and execution against Richmond and that is exactly how it panned out.

Agree with Arrow - we are at least one and probably two talls short of matching Port's aerial capability around the ground. Ominous silence about Kreuzer and Kennedy isn't a positive - I expect these two and Polson to be in consideration if available - our best chance will be to dominate rather than break even between the arcs and for the forward line to click a lot better than it did against Richmond.

Will be interesting to see if team run can be maintained at same high levels as against Richmond - despite 'carrying' Phillips/Fasolo and a getting fit whilst playing McGovern. Easiest 'fix' for Carlton will be the ability to see Marchbank and Williamson available for rotations between HB and wing(s)- either or both woudl be handy inclusions against Port.

It's unfortunate that we're even having to throw around the names ECurnow, Polson and Gibbons as our small forwards.
I don't care for the pressure they may be able to impose, if no goals result.
Best pressure is to kick the goals and get the ball back into the centre for Cripps and co to extract it and get it going forward again.

It may come this week, but still can't see how we're going to be clocking up 100 points with our current forward set-up.
The three talls look like being staple items in the forward line. Cuningham, Murphy and a resting mid, looks like a better idea to me, which of course was used at times last week.

Wouldn't want Ryder having too good a game this week, after a poor one on Saturday.

It's unfortunate that we're even having to throw around the names ECurnow, Polson and Gibbons as our small forwards.
Best pressure is to kick the goals and get the ball back into the centre for Cripps and co to extract it and get it going forward again.

It may come this week, but still can't see how we're going to be clocking up 100 points with our current forward set-up.
The three talls look like being staple items in the forward line. Cuningham, Murphy and a resting mid, looks like a better idea to me, which of course was used at times last week.

Wouldn't want Ryder having too good a game this week, after a poor one on Saturday.

Agree Harker, Cuningham, Murphy and Fasolo are more probable to score and our talls have the talent too.
This will be a hard game we’re about 4 to 5 weeks from fielding a more desirable team balance, as with most clubs.
Whichever clubs can gets the best personal on the park quickly gets a head start. it’s going to be a tough campaign 2019.

We kicked 27 points in the second quarter and 28 in the third on a greasy night and players like Charlie, McGovern and Fasolo were all down on what they can do. If we move the ball the way we did in those middle two quarters this forward set up will kick 100 points more than once this year.

Agree Harker, Cuningham, Murphy and Fasolo are more probable to score and our talls have the talent too.
This will be a hard game we’re about 4 to 5 weeks from fielding a more desirable team balance, as with most clubs.
Whichever clubs can gets the best personal on the park quickly gets a head start. it’s going to be a tough campaign 2019.

Early, early days, but Cuningham has already been a revelation.
Just needs a couple more small things to be refined and a little more confidence built-in and we may have a serious player.
Love his run and carry, his pressure, the fact he can actually kick a goal and can be run through the centre.
Lots to play out, but at least one can see how it may play out.

I wouldn't start Murphy on the wings at all. Just leave him forward and that may yet come about when O'Brien finds form and Williamson returns.
Fasolo? I can see him being an OK fit for our forward line. Forget Thursday night as he'll still take a week or two to get back into the swing of things.

I understand people being down on Garlett, but I'd like to see him left in the back-line for a few weeks yet.
A good game will come about and then the trick will be to back it up form there on. 50/50, but worth the trial.

We kicked 27 points in the second quarter and 28 in the third on a greasy night and players like Charlie, McGovern and Fasolo were all down on what they can do. If we move the ball the way we did in those middle two quarters this forward set up will kick 100 points more than once this year.

I think most teams can pull out their 2 best quarters, double them and get around that 100 points.
To be fair though, who cares about 100 points if you're winning? I'd be happy to score 80 points and win 2 of 3 times, for now. :)

We will be looking for goal-kickers though come years end and if they come by way of names such as Coniglio, then that's fine also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back