Changes for Round 2

Remove this Banner Ad

The most welcome change will be that we don't have to endure that Snake Baker guy telling us how much North were going to beat us by.
Snake is probably my favourite (maybe the only one I can stand) of the obvious BF trolls but the dude pm'd me last week to tell me how good he thought McKay was because I said he was **** (paraphrasing) in our thread which he was banned from. I mean, of all the North players to go into bat for that hard he picks McKay? Dude might end up a good player but he is an out and out spud at the moment.

If Hogan is ready to play he obviously plays. Can even play more of a midfield role if we don't want to mess with our forward-line set-up.

Other than that just Switta or Matera for Ballas. Obviously prefer Switty if he's ready but I don't mind giving Matera a shot playing his proper position (deep forward). He's a genuine goal-scorer so if the quick movement from today is here to stay he might surprise us.

I am confused by the Hughes callls. Maybe on the TV you could see more, but for mine he is positioning really well in the team, confident in marking and has a good kick most of the time. Also Spirit Level calling for Tabs out? WTF. Am I missing something here? I thought he was a big part of our win. He took the most marks for the game (9 , 3 of which were contested).

Maybe what some us have been saying about Cam Mac is true - he is not a genuine key forward. He is the 3rd target. When you have Tabs +1 (now Lobb) Cam Mac takes the 3rd defender. His goals basically all came from 50m bar 1 I believe. If fans expect this goal kicking from performance from Cam Mac week in week out you will be disappointed. Expect 2-3 goals a game, and hope for 15 disposals. His field kicking is elite. His kicking is elite in general. Watch his back foot as he kicks the footy. It always leaves the turf. He goes full old school proper follow through. It is a majestic action.

Just Ballas for another small. If I were guessing what will happen it will be Matera. Happy enough for that considering he wasn't the only player who looked ordinary in JLT and we saw how those blokes played today.

Let Switta recover properly. I am sure we will have a loss where Schultz and Matera are woeful and he can come in for one of them then. Don't want Giro playing as a crumber. Waste of his best assets.

Ballantyne (Hamstring) > Matera

Swita, Logue & Duman to play Peel Scratchie for match fitness. Giro can be the travelling emergency.

Spurr on the radio kept referring to Schultz heading off to get his knee checked. He made a comment about 1st year players sometimes having difficulty backing up for second game. From memory Swita missed the the game after his debut late last year. Played Carlton, missed the Geelong debacle and then played against Collingwood.

In a game where it wasnt too hard being a defender I think Hughes was ok to average. He takes a couple of good marks then directly costs a goal or two directly with poor touch. Think Logue is the better player

I don’t understand the Hughes for Logue change. I thought Hughes went better than alright today and deserves to keep his spot.

Only change I’d make is Switta for Ballas.

You wouldn't give Hogan a game?

He's an automatic selection if the club deems him available, but you couldn't drop either Taberner or McCarthy on today's performance. Do we just play Hogan as a High Half Forward and stick Banfield in Ballantyne's spot?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hughes did great, he got into the game slowly. He was everywhere and hit some targets. Back him for another week

Tabs deserve to stay too. Hogan v Tabs are two different things. I feel perhaps we ll see Colyer up forward and have Ballas replaces by Hogan and use the three pronged forwards. The coaches want to see it ASAP. Why not.

Don't think Hughes was the worst of our backiine. Pearce was very, very good. Ryan did some good things (but was also involved in a fair few of the scores against) and Hamling did a great job defensively but still seems to lack a little touch to me. Cerra, Conca (might be being a bit harsh), Hughes, Wilson weren't really involved to a great extent which you'd expect given the game was played in our forward line. I do however think that of those 4, Hughes plays the largest part in our ability to lock the ball forward with his positioning/intercept ability a kick behind the play and does compliment the others nicely. Though he does need to work on that ball use a bit.

I am confused by the Hughes callls. Maybe on the TV you could see more, but for mine he is positioning really well in the team, confident in marking and has a good kick most of the time. Also Spirit Level calling for Tabs out? WTF. Am I missing something here? I thought he was a big part of our win. He took the most marks for the game (9 , 3 of which were contested).

Maybe what some us have been saying about Cam Mac is true - he is not a genuine key forward. He is the 3rd target. When you have Tabs +1 (now Lobb) Cam Mac takes the 3rd defender. His goals basically all came from 50m bar 1 I believe. If fans expect this goal kicking from performance from Cam Mac week in week out you will be disappointed. Expect 2-3 goals a game, and hope for 15 disposals. His field kicking is elite. His kicking is elite in general. Watch his back foot as he kicks the footy. It always leaves the turf. He goes full old school proper follow through. It is a majestic action.

Missed a few goals (which wasn't that much of a worry as I don't think too many were easy, set shots or from play) but I thought our kicking in general was about as good as it's been in a long time poor pressure from the opposition definitely helps but Cam also showed what he can add apart from goals. There was a nice cross to hit Darcy on the chest and running down the far side he had to hold up play a bit and then hit a running player near the boundary (maybe Tucker?) who didn't have to break stride, that's the sort of kick that so easily turns over and hurts you the other way.

Have to wait on injuries but if Hogan is ready (and I don't think he will be) you have to find room for him, we can't take any game easy but maybe the Suns is about as good a game any to try Taberner/Hogan/McCarthy/Lobb. With time in midfield and rotations it's not like there will ever be all four in the forward 50 but can you imagine always having a mix of two, and at times three, in there.

Without knowing official injuries:

Out:
Balla, (if Hogan is right to go) Banfield

In:
Matera (he should feel pretty comfortable at GC home ground), Hogan

I'd do Matera or Giro for Ballantyne.

Hughes (and everyone else) need more games and have to prove consistency for now, wouldn't change a team that played and won like that.

Im a known Tabs doubter but he was great yesterday, from what I get from the little Ive watched Hogan he is a little more like for like with McCarthy than Tabs and theres no way you drop McCarthy after yesterday. Im not into the idea of adding Hogan with Tabs, McCarthy and Lobb. Its tricky.

I don’t understand the Hughes for Logue change. I thought Hughes went better than alright today and deserves to keep his spot.
Yeah was a bit shaky early but built into the game. Thought he was a bit unlucky not to get a free in the goal square when BBB landed on his back, and Goldy then crumbed and goaled. Made up for his mistakes with some great kicks though - especially that i50 to Lobb - was a thing of beauty.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back