Coach James Hird - is it time to give him a second chance at coaching an AFL club? Gil says yes!

Should James Hird be given a second chance at coaching an AFL club?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with the first part

the second....im less sure about.
but a modern coach is something we need. Either hand it to Rutten and demote Woosha, or start tapping up Caracella.

Hird took the worst list in the AFL at the time to top 8 in 2011 which was his first year.

It'd be good to see what he could do with the current Essendon list.

Hird took the worst list in the AFL at the time to top 8 in 2011 which was his first year.

If it was Hird for the first time, sure.
But he had Bomber, Goodwin and McCartney supporting him
Bomber had premiership experience.
Goodwin and McCartney are excellent coaches.

Im sure there is something to be said for playing for a legend of the game, esp one not too long retired.
Woosha is a premiership captain and coach, but his glory days are from before Hird retiring from playing.

But there are better options out there i'm sure.
And we should be looking.
Woosha has nursed us through the tough period. We need to find our identity as a club with a coach who can instil hunger and a desire to win.

Just no.

Sacking a coach in isolation achieves nothing.
it wouldn't really be in isolation.

I dont see what Worsfold is doing to take this list forward.
2018 was more of where we fell away in 2017. When we patted ourselves on the back for failing.
JLT 2019 had all the warning signs. And Rd.1 dished up exactly what many were expecting.

This is our best list since 2000. But it has zero winning instinct about it.
If the opposition aren't off their game, we aren't going to win.

it wouldn't really be in isolation.

I dont see what Worsfold is doing to take this list forward.
2018 was more of where we fell away in 2017. When we patted ourselves on the back for failing.
JLT 2019 had all the warning signs. And Rd.1 dished up exactly what many were expecting.

This is our best list since 2000. But it has zero winning instinct about it.
If the opposition aren't off their game, we aren't going to win.

Still had a better list in 2004 or say 2014 than now. Now it’s decent, but no better than bottom half of the 8, even if all was going right.

I think after the whole drug scandal Essendon have just tried to get a side back into the finals and competitive again as they didn’t want the double whammy of a rebuilding side struggling right after all the dramas.

As a result it seems they have been stuck in mid table land and have sacrificed decent young talent coming through to get a lot of guys with surnames beginning with S.

Probably being charged with bringing the game into disrepute for a mind boggling third time.

In what world did they have the worst list?

In what world did they have the worst list?

It was widely acknowledged at the time Hird took over as coach that Essendon had the worst list in the league.

Obviously you weren't around in 2010.

It was widely acknowledged at the time Hird took over as coach that Essendon had the worst list in the league.

Obviously you weren't around in 2010.

What horse s**t
That essendon list is a *load better than Melbournes
Obviously you started following footy at GWS inception
ESSENDON PLAYED FINALS IN 2009. UH YA LOST

Watson
Ryder
Stanton
Zaharakis
Winderlich
Hurley
McVeigh
Hooker
Monfries
Fletcher
Hille
Davey
Melksham
Houli
Crameri
Carlisle

Melbournes list

Jones
Green
Jamar
Bruce
Scully
Frawley
Davey
Garland
Jamie Bennell
Moloney
Trengove
Dunn
Rivers
MacDonald
Sylvia
Bate
Watts
Grimes

What horse s**t
That essendon list is a ****load better than Melbournes
Obviously you started following footy at GWS inception
ESSENDON PLAYED FINALS IN 2009. UH YA LOST

Watson
Ryder
Stanton
Zaharakis
Winderlich
Hurley
McVeigh
Hooker
Monfries
Fletcher
Hille
Davey
Melksham
Houli
Crameri
Carlisle

Melbournes list

Jones
Green
Jamar
Bruce
Scully
Frawley
Davey
Garland
Jamie Bennell
Moloney
Trengove
Dunn
Rivers
MacDonald
Sylvia
Bate
Watts
Grimes
Yeah. This misnomer that Hird took over a terrible list and fixed it is weird
Esp given up until the weekend Hird was public enemy #1 when it came to coaching. Now he's the answer to the guy who was the answer to him.........

Our list was alright in 2010. But they weren't playing for Knights.
Hird made some tweaks, primarily putting players back into position and taught them that defence around the ground is as important as all out running.

I'd also note our assistants were class back then. Goodwin, McCartney, Bomber.

Confidence within a group is important.
When it was lost under Knights we went from a finals team to a deplorable onfield team
When it was lost under Hird, we did much the same
Woosha took us to finals. And once again we look off the mark.

Truth be told, we haven't had a good coaching panel since 2010.
And that was the first one since the carry over from the 2000 premiership.

Feel this is make or break year for Worsfold, Skipworth, Corrigan and Harvey.
If we hit the bye round with less than 4 wins, the club needs act early to get ready for 2020.

that first one was a joke.
He criticised an umpire ffs.

Oh, ffs. He openly targetted one umpire saying he was biased against Essendon. The man thought he was above the game back then, and continued on with the drugs saga. He deserved everything he got back then.

Hird describing McLaren's efforts in officiating last Saturday night's clash between Essendon and St Kilda - where the Bombers were beaten by 34 points - as disgraceful.
The AFL has issued a breach notice to the Bombers, with Hird facing a fine of up to $5,000 for a first offence.
His comments have also been referred to the AFL commission, which has the power to suspend him or refer the matter to the AFL tribunal.
McLaren was singled out by Hird as an umpire the Bombers have problems with.
I thought the umpiring was quite disgraceful on Saturday night, especially by one umpire," Hird told Channel Nine's Footy Show.
"We thought there were a couple of instances where the decisions were a bit rich. You know, we're not sure where he's coming from.
"The one umpire, we've had problems with him over the past ... Scott McLaren hasn't been our favourite umpire."

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still had a better list in 2004 or say 2014 than now. Now it’s decent, but no better than bottom half of the 8, even if all was going right.

I think after the whole drug scandal Essendon have just tried to get a side back into the finals and competitive again as they didn’t want the double whammy of a rebuilding side struggling right after all the dramas.

As a result it seems they have been stuck in mid table land and have sacrificed decent young talent coming through to get a lot of guys with surnames beginning with S.
'14 was good. We largely have the remnants of that list, if not better though.

Hooker, Bellchambers and Baguley are the wrong side of 27 now though.
Stanton and Watson are gone, but you can't argue the additions of Smith, Stringer and Shiel aren't better.

04 was the last remnant of the 2000 side before we fell off a cliff.

I dont have an issue with our list.
Personally, i'd have liked another tall forward (i was rather keen on Lynch and would have stomached trading a big salary like Heppell or Hurley out to accomodate) and i think we've neglected our ruck depth.

Short of those two (no pun intended), i feel our top 25 is good enough to compete.
The problem is they don't. Not that they can't. But too often, they just don't

The current Essendon list is the best list they've had since the early 2000's and Worsfold just isn't the right man.

If Hird was coach of this list he would have them pushing top 4 and being a serious premiership contender.
Wait so Hird can coach now? All I’ve been hearing is he can’t coach.

Or was it Bomber pulling the strings?

Which is it figbooty?

LOL

Oh, ffs. He openly targetted one umpire saying he was biased against Essendon. The man thought he was above the game back then, and continued on with the drugs saga. He deserved everything he got back then.

Hird describing McLaren's efforts in officiating last Saturday night's clash between Essendon and St Kilda - where the Bombers were beaten by 34 points - as disgraceful.
The AFL has issued a breach notice to the Bombers, with Hird facing a fine of up to $5,000 for a first offence.
His comments have also been referred to the AFL commission, which has the power to suspend him or refer the matter to the AFL tribunal.
McLaren was singled out by Hird as an umpire the Bombers have problems with.
I thought the umpiring was quite disgraceful on Saturday night, especially by one umpire," Hird told Channel Nine's Footy Show.
"We thought there were a couple of instances where the decisions were a bit rich. You know, we're not sure where he's coming from.
"The one umpire, we've had problems with him over the past ... Scott McLaren hasn't been our favourite umpire."
i can think of plenty worse that has brought the game into disrepute and no charge was ever laid.

Brett Ratten deserves a second chance, especially if you believe he wasn't given a first chance.

I like the idea of Ratten to be honest.

Would have learned alot from his first experience coaching.

Then spent along time under Clarkson to help augment and cement those learnings.

Deserves a second chance and would be a great get.

I like the idea of Ratten to be honest.

Would have learned alot from his first experience coaching.

Then spent along time under Clarkson to help augment and cement those learnings.

Deserves a second chance and would be a great get.
Could you imagine Ratten coaching us to a flag.
I would be walking on egg shells around Carlton fans for fear of being killed.

Would love to see Hird back coaching Essendon but we all know no-ones got the balls to make it happen. Caracella \ Ratten would be a suitable alternative.
As for what Hird said about McLaren, he was totally justified, it was quite obvious at the time McLaren should never have been umpiring Ess games.

Back