Autopsy Autopsy: North Melbourne vs Fremantle: Round 1, 2019 - 82 point L (59-141) (No opposition posters)

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a professional business and as I always tell new players when they first arrive at the club, the most important thing about your career which will mark it as a success or failure is whether or not you own a house at the end of it.

Jesus, if you can't own a house making 190k over 4 years you're a bit all over the shop.

We have no good forwards (apart from BBB on the lead with lace-out delivery) and no good defenders. We have to play a Brisbane team next week that has a quality midfield and really good young defenders and forwards. I never hope that we lose but at least I don't hate them if we do, and if we play even a 10th as bad as we are right now we won't get within 10 goals of them. Thomas, Larkey and Ahern all come into the team, at the very least.

I was at the Lions/WCE game Saturday. We're gonna really have our work cut out to turn this disaster of a start around. They were very composed when the reigning premier started getting on top. AND the Lions made a lot of errors with kids rushing decisions when they had a lot more time. They have a serious amount of improvement in them too.

I was at the Lions/WCE game Saturday. We're gonna really have our work cut out to turn this disaster of a start around. They were very composed when the reigning premier started getting on top. AND the Lions made a lot of errors with kids rushing decisions when they had a lot more time. They have a serious amount of improvement in them too.

And a truckload of smaller/quicker types to create turnovers in our back half.

If we go handball happy again, we'll get done by 80+.

Brisbane are a better side than Freo.

Just wanna highlight that Freo had 30+ scoring shots with 15 behinds and 21 goals. Which easily could've been 30 goals had they been marginally accurate even to the standard that we were.

This game should not be treated like a ~80 point loss, this is a 100+ point loss regardless of what the scoreboard says, the opportunities were there for an easy 100 point win on Freos behalf and it's only by virtue of missing they fell short.

But the club needs to make no mistake, the damage is worse than what it looks. This should be treated for what it is, a devastating loss.

Dear Brad

I've taken the liberty of assisting you with your forensic review.

May I humbly suggest the when we go forward, we do NOT kick it to Brown EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME!

We are so predictable that it is no wonder opposition teams have no problems clearing their defence against us.

Anyway Brad, best of luck with your review. I was going to say I know you will be all over it and know far better than I ever would, but to be perfectly honest, I'm actually not so sure.....

Oh, and if by the time you have finished this review and you haven't already cleaned out your drawers and packed your bags, you are kidding yourself!

Last edited:
I would argue that's not the case. Given we were missing Jacobs, Anderson, Daw, Wright, Thompson, Garner from our best 22 (arguably) and still had a good enough looking team on paper, and still have fit blokes like Ahern, Larkey, Zurhaar, Campbell, Murphy, Hrovat, TT, who could all arguably come in and contribute adequately, and promising Walker, Watson, Taylor etc - I don't think the depth is necessarily shithouse.

You can crank out the names, however, the players we have who came in can't execute Brad's gameplan and the promising types can't either so the depth is s**t for the purpose of winning games of footy Brad's way.

I am not faulting individual players nor am I saying we have no young talent, but we do not have the depth to play the way when we do well if key components go down. The kids can't do it which is why our kids don't get a good look at it under Brad.

EVW season is over with an ACL. I don't want to see him back on the park while he has chicken legs, he needs to put on some muscle to support his joints and he has to focus on staying on his feet at contests rather than go to ground as much as he does, he has the grace of a newborn Giraffe. I feel sorry for the kid because he can play. He needs the Ahern strength and conditioning regime now.

Dear Brad

May I humbly suggest the when we go forward, we do NOT kick it to Brown EVERY SINGLE ****ING TIME!

We are so predictable that it is no wonder opposition teams have no problems clearing their defence against us.

Anyway Brad, best of luck with your review. I was going to say I know you will be all over it and know far better than I ever would, but to be perfectly honest, I'm actually not so sure.....

Oh, and if by the time you have finished this review and you haven't already cleaned out your draws and packed your bags, you are kidding yourself!

We don't have another marking target. Whether he was forward or back (I prefer forward) Maj being unavailable has killed our flexibility. There is not one forward I would be worried about taking a mark in our forward 50 when we kick down the line. Maj is obviously number 1 but Garner would probably be 2.

We don't have another marking target. Whether he was forward or back (I prefer forward) Maj being unavailable has killed our flexibility. There is not one forward I would be worried about taking a mark in our forward 50 when we kick down the line. Maj is obviously number 1 but Garner would probably be 2.

It's called lowering your eyes and hitting up short leads with players moving into space.... i can forgive you for forgetting this concept since we haven't done it for 10 years now but you will notice that it is a tactic used by pretty much every other club in the comp on a much more regular basis.

Dear Brad

Oh, and if by the time you have finished this review and you haven't already cleaned out your draws and packed your bags, you are kidding yourself!
Draws?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's called lowering your eyes and hitting up short leads with players moving into space.... i can forgive you for forgetting this concept since we haven't done it for 10 years now but you will notice that it is a tactic used by pretty much every other club in the comp on a much more regular basis.

Our HF Line has been a black hole for 10 years. It's where players go to die.

You can crank out the names, however, the players we have who came in can't execute Brad's gameplan and the promising types can't either so the depth is s**t for the purpose of winning games of footy Brad's way.

I am not faulting individual players nor am I saying we have no young talent, but we do not have the depth to play the way when we do well if key components go down. The kids can't do it which is why our kids don't get a good look at it under Brad.
You say that on the basis of one game?

Remember what Pagan used to do on the rare occasions his sides put in a woeful shocker?

"Take the boys out on the training track and sewl them on each other to see if there's 3 or 4 other blokes that want to play AFL"

Tuesdays training session should be a full on, full contact, Rollerball type affair. No more of any of this "in this day and age" bullshit. Hardcore, full on, primal physicality.

And when that didn’t work he sent them to the Pub .

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

If we have a couple of good wins, including Hawthorn at the G (as unlikely as it looks today it can happen) I reckon we will still be spewing every time our mind goes back to McCarthy kicking 5 FFS!

You say that on the basis of one game?

No, I say it on the basis of Brad's 202 game coaching record, which stands at 103-99 (50.99%), the epitome of average.

I am confident that we will roll Brisbane in our monthly redemption game but by the end of April we will likely be seeking redemption again for another poor game. There are reasons why we can't sustain his brand of footy.

I still think we will win enough games to fight for a mid-table finish, unless the wheels fall off completely, but I don't think our depth is well suited to play Brad's gameplan. It is not all doom and gloom, we are likely going to have a number of good wins this year. However, there is something fundamentally wrong about how we go about it and we never do anything to address it.

The problem is we do not seem to have had a "forensic review" of the club's coaching and development. Guys with talent we have recruited since 2008:
2009: Cunnington, Bastinac, Black, Macmillan, Kennedy
2010: Atley, Harper, C. Delaney
2011: nobody
2012: Garner, Jacobs, Wood
2013: McDonald, Dumont, Brown
2014: Durdin, EVW, Preuss
2015: McKay, Clarke, Hibberd, Wagner
2016: Simpkin, Watson, Williams, Larkey
2017: LDU, Walker, Murphy, Xerri
2018: Thomas, Taylor, Scott

A grade: Cunnington, Brown, Jacobs
B grade: Atley, Dumont
C grade or lower + unrealised potential: numerous

Our sub 50 gamers:
Anderson(46), Wood(40), Simpkin(36), Garner(34), EVW (15), Ahern(11), Durdin(9), LDU(8), Murphy(4), Walker(4), Larkey(2), McKay(2), Scott(1)

We have torched a lot of talent trying to force players into what Brad needs.

Jesus, if you can't own a house making 190k over 4 years you're a bit all over the shop.

Hello, this is Sanjay and do I have an investment opportunity for you!

No, I say it on the basis of Brad's 202 game coaching record, which stands at 103-99 (50.99%), the epitome of average.

I am confident that we will roll Brisbane in our monthly redemption game but by the end of April we will likely be seeking redemption again for another poor game. There are reasons why we can't sustain his brand of footy.

I still think we will win enough games to fight for a mid-table finish, unless the wheels fall off completely, but I don't think our depth is well suited to play Brad's gameplan. It is not all doom and gloom, we are likely going to have a number of good wins this year. However, there is something fundamentally wrong about how we go about it and we never do anything to address it.

What do you think it is, about his gameplan that we can't sustain?
Personally, I think that any side needs to apply 100% pressure to play well these days. You can have a list full of AA players (Richmond or WC) and you will still get rolled if you don't bring the pressure. In today's footy you simply can't win on class. (Not that we have too much of it anyway). Therefore, I think Brad's main problem is his inability to extract consistency of effort from the players, and not having created the culture where this is the case. And to a lesser extent, he has shown that his footy department for whatever reason struggle to get the team prepared for round 1.

Speaking of assistant coaches, Rhys Shaw came highly recommended from the Swans as a backline coach, and as much as you'd be silly to blame the backline coach based on one game where the midfield has absolutely been pantsed, it wasn't the best initiation to North for Shaw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back