Society & Culture Things in life you just don't understand - Part 3

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stuart Dew copped s**t as well iirc
Yes he did, doesn't make it right or make picking on someone else right
Dew also stopped playing 10 years ago a lot has changed in what is considered acceptable

Yeah but men don't have the same sensitivities about weight as women generally speaking.
No men are told they don't have the same sensitivities, not the same thing

Yes he did, doesn't make it right or make picking on someone else right
Dew also stopped playing 10 years ago a lot has changed in what is considered acceptable

No men are told they don't have the same sensitivities, not the same thing
Pretty sure men in general don't have the same body image pressure and the related issues that can come with it that women do.

Pretty sure men in general don't have the same body image pressure and the related issues that can come with it that women do.
You can clearly see the marketing industry sensing an opportunity and pressing it, though. The number of men having body image issues is rising, steroid use is rising to get that ripped body. Men used to think they were above such issues when, in reality, they just hadn't felt the full press of advertising and marketing.

We haven't been directly marketed too as much and we haven't had the how are you going to get a wife I'd you dont stay thing happen for decades

But if you think we aren't susceptible to the pressure and issues or that they don't exist you haven't been payimy attention

Women can be savage towards men and towards other women. The comments on the skimpy bikini advertisements on Facebook are worse than what popped up on the Tayla Harris photo.

Anyway, the divergence is that male athletes are rarely judged for their appearance. AFLW is a bit of a special case because it's been going for 5 minutes and most of the players aren't really professionals at this point. Serena Williams is arguably the modern era women's GOAT and people say things about her appearance, physicality etc. Rafael Nadal looks like a capybara and it's a non issue.

There was an interesting discussion on Bill & Boz the other day about Nike doing an ad with Sam Kerr and why more companies don't use female athletes in their marketing and the reality is that it's because they don't sell. The reason Kerr has appeal is that she's that good at her craft and seems pretty likeable - which is surprising given her stock. To a large degree men and boys buy sporting gear based on their heroes. Dusty wears Puma boots, I want Puma boots. Punter has a Kookaburra, I want a Kookaburra. Etc. Women and girls will buy what looks good on them and tennis outfits look better on the poster on Eugenie Bouchard than Serena. It's not a hard an fast rule at all, but have a look at the mannequins in Rebel Sport. Sports companies know what sells.

Does trolling simply equate to saying mean s**t?

I always thought trolling was about trying to provoke some kind of response, and it doesn't necessarily have to be mean spirited.

BZQxeuZA6nPj2vzIhRmgaxWixIJteRAkkAwmFyFClt8.jpg

This I would consider trolling. Numpty bloggers and social commentators do this kind of thing on a daily basis, latch onto a photo or tweet etc. and set the discussion off on a tangent. Sometimes it's clever, most of the time it isn't. Titus O'Reilly's whole gig is basically trolling footy clubs, the AFL etc. But it isn't mean. It's not the same as saying 'monkey' on a picture of an Aboriginal footballer etc. which is just being a dick. I guess people like that are the reason we can't have nice things.

I always thought trolling was about trying to provoke some kind of response, and it doesn't necessarily have to be mean spirited.

This I would consider trolling. Numpty bloggers and social commentators do this kind of thing on a daily basis, latch onto a photo or tweet etc. and set the discussion off on a tangent. Sometimes it's clever, most of the time it isn't. Titus O'Reilly's whole gig is basically trolling footy clubs, the AFL etc. But it isn't mean. It's not the same as saying 'monkey' on a picture of an Aboriginal footballer etc. which is just being a dick. I guess people like that are the reason we can't have nice things.

What's not to understand about Turnbull tossing Murdoche's blatant hypocrisy & double-standards back in his face?

Others will disagree but I thought this was a good article on the topic of Taylah

https://10daily.com.au/views/a19032...-the-sexual-abuse-of-dusty-and-tayla-20190325
my favourite bit

This view that if women want to be treated as equals they should be fine with being treated like men is so incorrect. It isn’t even close to equality. Thinking that everyone should be fine with being treated like a man is not equality. Thinking that everyone should accommodate what you are used to when you aren’t willing to accommodate them just isn’t equality.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Others will disagree but I thought this was a good article on the topic of Taylah

https://10daily.com.au/views/a19032...-the-sexual-abuse-of-dusty-and-tayla-20190325
Interestingly he quotes comments that were on dusty photo and yet no quotes on the comments tayla received. This is where a big part of the issue is.

Nobody really knows what the comments were. How bad were they? What were they in relation to.

Yes she may be offended etc but anyone can be offended, especially someone knew to being a 'professional' athelete.

I still think in this whole situation, there needs to be context to the comments. How bad were they?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Interestingly he quotes comments that were on dusty photo and yet no quotes on the comments tayla received. This is where a big part of the issue is.

Nobody really knows what the comments were. How bad were they? What were they in relation to.

Yes she may be offended etc but anyone can be offended, especially someone knew to being a 'professional' athelete.

I still think in this whole situation, there needs to be context to the comments. How bad were they?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Hello
IMG_9581.PNG

Were those in his article? I didn't appear when I looked, maybe due to looking on my phone and not downloading pictures etc.

I see no difference to the levels of comments on male AFL player photos by women. Not the same number of comments or percentage but the offensive comments are just as sexual/'vulgar' comments. Im fine to make a big deal of it, but don't then dismiss those made against males as a non-issue. Good enough to make a stand for one sex, good enough to make another stand for the other sex

and they wouldn't have been the worst
I actually think they were. I was reading the comments before it got taken down and I didn't see anything worse than that.

I actually think they were. I was reading the comments before it got taken down and I didn't see anything worse than that.
would be a first given the s**t that gets posted on twitter and facebook in general

Yeah I don't see how that's trolling at all. He's retorted with an excellent response.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back