Player Watch Darcy Moore

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate he will give us more than either Cox or Mihocek. He will provides a bigger headache for defenders as they will be under pressure the whole time.

Your argument is floored that he is a quality player in the back line but his lack of ability to win a one on one contest makes him no good as a forward. What happens when he has to body up against an opposing forward then.

He could of won us the game up forward on the weekend we were crying out for a big forward to create a contest take a mark and kick a few.

Dunn and Roughy will be more than good enough to hold up the back end
My argument is that he can excel as a KPD without being great at marking the ball under physical duress as he only needs to be able to get a fist in when someone bodies up on him. As a KPF target, he needs to do more than get a fist in in those situations to excel. The other skills that he may be able to bring to the table as a forward are well and truly covered by our current forward mix.

Mate he will give us more than either Cox or Mihocek. He will provides a bigger headache for defenders as they will be under pressure the whole time.

Your argument is floored that he is a quality player in the back line but his lack of ability to win a one on one contest makes him no good as a forward. What happens when he has to body up against an opposing forward then.

He could of won us the game up forward on the weekend we were crying out for a big forward to create a contest take a mark and kick a few.

Dunn and Roughy will be more than good enough to hold up the back end

Even as a skinny forward his contested marking stats were impressive. He takes pack marks too.

My argument is that he can excel as a KPD without being great at marking the ball under physical duress as he only needs to be able to get a fist in when someone bodies up on him. As a KPF target, he needs to do more than get a fist in in those situations to excel. The other skills that he may be able to bring to the table as a forward are well and truly covered by our current forward mix.
But Buddy Franklin has never been good at standing body to body and taking a mark but his speed and mobility at his size has still made him the greatest key forward of his generation

Even as a skinny forward his contested marking stats were impressive. He takes pack marks too.
Agreed he always had high contested mark numbers. They are tend to be more pack marks then standing body to body but I don’t recall seeing one pack mark taken in our forward line last week

But Buddy Franklin has never been good at standing body to body and taking a mark but his speed and mobility at his size has still made him the greatest key forward of his generation
Buddy's elite at standing under the footy. May not clunk any over his head, but his strength enables him to protect the drop zone and take a few at body height and his recovery is so good that he gets a heap of his own crumbs. He's like having 2 blokes at the contest, a brute to protect the drop zone and a gun front and centre rover. Haven't seen Moore able to do either. Degoey is the closest we've got to being able to play like Buddy.

Is there anyone in the league who does this on a regular basis. In terms of contested marking, Cox is fine. He'll be high up in contested marking stats if he plays the whole season. Yeah he drops a lot that he has a good look at, but he only gets a good look at so many becasue he's so tall. If we replace him, we get a higher percentage of marking chances taken, but a lower number of marking chances. It's a bit like the Phillips conundrum. If we replace him with a bloke who uses the ball more effectively when in the clear, we'll have the ball in the clear less often, because his replacement won't have the same running capacity or ability to find the ball in space.
Every key forward who’s good does this. Most teams have less than precise ball movement, especially the better teams as they’re all good at shutting it down. Cox is fine, he’s not the one I’d replace, Mihocek is.

As for the solution for the Phillips conundrum, just play someone who’s a good kick in tight and in the clear like Wells or Pendlebury or even Daicos. I suspect Phillips will stay in the team though as well never have a fully fit best 22 and I’m okay with him being the worst player in our 22, I’d just like him replaced if we can.

Buddy's elite at standing under the footy. May not clunk any over his head, but his strength enables him to protect the drop zone and take a few at body height and his recovery is so good that he gets a heap of his own crumbs. He's like having 2 blokes at the contest, a brute to protect the drop zone and a gun front and centre rover. Haven't seen Moore able to do either. Degoey is the closest we've got to being able to play like Buddy.
But he is not good at standing under the ball body to body and taking marks neither is Jack Riewoldt yet between them they have won 7 Coleman medals just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat. Jeremy Cameron is another who isn’t good at standing body to body

Yeah he’s strength has always been underrated.

When Buddy was Moore's age and stage of development he had a big lump of a lad ahead of him in the goal square to do all the tough stuff. Ruff and Hale let Buddy pick up scraps like a 200cm Flanker. Add Cyril and Bruest and Puopolo and Gunstan to the mix and you get the idea??? Young Buddy (the 90kg version) was a flanker.

At the swans he's a 100kg+ monster who still relies on speed rather than taking marks to score

Darcy Moore will benefit a lot more by having a year or two down back than he would by bashing around up front. He can still be a "changeup" if need be, but limited minutes for goodness sakes. Lets get some games into that scrawny body first.

But he is not good at standing under the ball body to body and taking marks neither is Jack Riewoldt yet between them they have won 7 Coleman medals just goes to show there is more than one way to skin a cat. Jeremy Cameron is another who isn’t good at standing body to body
Probably no point us continuing, i think we see it too differently, but I'll have my final say. As a forward, I watched a bloke who I saw as very much mark and kick. I didn't see him skin the cat in any other way too often. Like Cox, he took some rippers over the top when able to run and jump, but didn't do much else. And frankly when he did mark the ball outside his kicking range, he just stopped took ages to turn around, seemingly waiting for defence to fully cover, before a nothing kick into the heart of congestion. He waa very young and would have got better, but I never saw him influence games the way he has in the very small sample size in defence. To me, in defence he's showcased an ability and willingness to run and attack with the footy, excellent play reading, great spoiling skills and closing speed and more opportunity to show off his big party trick of going harder and higher in the air than anyone else going around.

Probably no point us continuing, i think we see it too differently, but I'll have my final say. As a forward, I watched a bloke who I saw as very much mark and kick. I didn't see him skin the cat in any other way too often. Like Cox, he took some rippers over the top when able to run and jump, but didn't do much else. And frankly when he did mark the ball outside his kicking range, he just stopped took ages to turn around, seemingly waiting for defence to fully cover, before a nothing kick into the heart of congestion. He waa very young and would have got better, but I never saw him influence games the way he has in the very small sample size in defence. To me, in defence he's showcased an ability and willingness to run and attack with the footy, excellent play reading, great spoiling skills and closing speed and more opportunity to show off his big party trick of going harder and higher in the air than anyone else going around.
Yet most games he has played down he has bleed goals. Let’s not forget that.

You say he was a mark kick player yet in his 3rd game he kicked 5 most of them from open play running back into goal after working up the ground and turning them around.

Also a lot easier to look good playing in backline of a top side than playing in the forward line of a poor team

When Buddy was Moore's age and stage of development he had a big lump of a lad ahead of him in the goal square to do all the tough stuff. Ruff and Hale let Buddy pick up scraps like a 200cm Flanker.
???
When Buddy was Moore's current age, it was a couple of years after he'd kicked 100 goals as a full forward.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

???
When Buddy was Moore's current age, it was a couple of years after he'd kicked 100 goals as a full forward.

Kicked 113 from 250 odd shots that year didn't he? Premiership side around him... No doubt he kicked the goals....but he didn't do it as a stay at home FF. Buds a whole forward line by himself because of how fast he is and how far he can kick. He's never been a marking forward or a pack mark. He takes chest marks out on that left forward flank and then turns around and dobs goals from outside 60. Or he runs back into open goals...too quick for his opponents. Darcy's not that sort of player is he? Turning circle of a B-Double does Darcy.

Kicked 113 from 250 odd shots that year didn't he? Premiership side around him... No doubt he kicked the goals....but he didn't do it as a stay at home FF. Buds a whole forward line by himself because of how fast he is and how far he can kick. He's never been a marking forward or a pack mark. He takes chest marks out on that left forward flank and then turns around and dobs goals from outside 60. Or he runs back into open goals...too quick for his opponents. Darcy's not that sort of player is he? Turning circle of a B-Double does Darcy.

Moore seems pretty agile to me.

Yep very different players.

He's very very fast in a straight line, but doesn't have the balance and change of direction of an outside mid- Buddy does.

Buddy be about the only Big Forward that can do that

Buddy be about the only Big Forward that can do that
Yep. it's why he has been the best forward of his generation, despite having mediocre hands. He's built for footy, his combination of height, strength, speed, balance and agility is what you'd get if you could genetically modify someone to become an AFL star.

Comparing Buddy to Moore? That's like comparing Daicos to Blair...
There was never a comparison between the two players. Buddy was brought up as an example of the fact that you don’t have to be good at standing body to body in a wrestle and taking marks the way Cloke did to be a gun full forward as Buddy is a champion one of the best the game has ever seen and that is not his go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back