Preview Rnd 2 - Carlton V Port Adelaide Saturday 30th March 5.10PM @ Adelaide Oval - TEAM - Post #727

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jones free to go, I don't think there will be any changes.

Looks like Port will be a huge challenge.

Rocky looks really fit, you would want someone playing pretty close to him for the match.
I hope it's Ed to curb his influence..wear him like a glove..

Not sure how much creedence you can't put into round 1, WRT Port's form. They've clearly drafted some good players, with skill and pace, but they're kids and wont play to the same level each week. All of Butters, Duursma and Rozee played well, but they'll have some down games too. Have to remember Melbourne were deplorable, and possibly played their worst game round 1. Essendon beat them in Round 2(?) 2016 with their top-up team, and clearly there is still some mental fragility there.

I think we're a pretty good shot if we provide the same intensity we've shown over the JLT and against Richmond.
To quarter time, Melbourne were anything but deplorable. Port made them look worse than they are - wore them down gradually, kept running hard and tackling hard for an eventual win.

To quarter time, Melbourne were anything but deplorable. Port made them look worse than they are - wore them down gradually, kept running hard and tackling hard for an eventual win.

Yep, Port played well but Melbourne certainly contributed to the end result. Neither team was particularly clean, and Melbourne looked slightly underdone.

Far too early to be making approximations about Port on the basis of a Round 1 win.

I hope it's Ed to curb his influence..wear him like a glove..
not saying rocky isn't a good player, i wish we'd got him 2 years ago to replace gibbs.

but his stats inflate how good he is. he had 32 uncontested possession and 10 more possessions than anyone else on the ground but wasn't the leader in metres gained. only 2 inside 50s and 4 clearances in all that.

ed weakens our midfield rotation, so IMO it's not worth having him there to negate rocky. you stop rocky by winning the ball at the source which i'm happy to back our young midfield to do. happy with ed in this half forward role for now.

the real question when you play port adelaide is what to do about robbie ******* gray.

i'm not gonna jump on the garlett bashing train in this thread because he's been pretty serviceable and we don't really have any better options at small defender anyway but geez the thought of garlett having to guard gray will keep me up all week.

Yep, Port played well but Melbourne certainly contributed to the end result. Neither team was particularly clean, and Melbourne looked slightly underdone.

Far too early to be making approximations about Port on the basis of a Round 1 win.
Not quite sure what "approximations" are in this context, but I assume you mean assessments of where Port are at. I would agree, it's early, of course.

So bring on this round, hope we flog you silly :D

not saying rocky isn't a good player, i wish we'd got him 2 years ago to replace gibbs.

but his stats inflate how good he is. he had 32 uncontested possession and 10 more possessions than anyone else on the ground but wasn't the leader in metres gained. only 2 inside 50s and 4 clearances in all that.

ed weakens our midfield rotation, so IMO it's not worth having him there to negate rocky. you stop rocky by winning the ball at the source which i'm happy to back our young midfield to do. happy with ed in this half forward role for now.

the real question when you play port adelaide is what to do about robbie ******* gray.

i'm not gonna jump on the garlett bashing train in this thread because he's been pretty serviceable and we don't really have any better options at small defender anyway but geez the thought of garlett having to guard gray will keep me up all week.
I remember when he played for the Lions he used to rack up massive numbers but that was all they really were, the Lions would kick it backwards to him, he would chip it sideways and then they would chip it straight back.

Judging by your name I know why your so defensive, but in all honestly he’s former premier AFL midfielder on the wane, Not saying he’s not a good AFL footballer but yet to recapture those lofty heights. Just a reality of elite level sport. He’s got partner now jog along and go have your fantasies on the Port board
Boak played his best game for a long while on the weekend. Let's see if he boaks it up this week.

Good point re our mids ..
Not to many teams have worked out how to stop Gray..

That is the sort of arrogance that has got us into the mess we have been in for the past 20 years. That is what we thought last year about GCS, and they toweled us up. How long has it been since we kicked more than 100 points? 4 June 2016. We managed 64 points against Richmond. Let's focus against PA this week and worry about the rest when they come around.

20 years?

Moody any chance you could stop looking in the rear vision mirror?

As for points scored

Pies 65
Demons 61
Crows 55
Swans 65
WC 58
Bummers 40
Norf 59

We just played a side that won the flag in 2017 and finished on top at the end of the H&A last year

No chance Garlett will line up on Gray. He'll get someone like Rozee or Butters.

Not sure who goes to Gray though...he's just as good in the air as at ground level which is why he's a difficult match up.
He's got too much agility for Plowman, who'll be needed for one of Port's 3 talls anyway.

For me it would be either Newman or Daisy. Leaning towards Newman who's probably a better 1v1 defender than Daisy.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not quite sure what "approximations" are in this context, but I assume you mean assessments of where Port are at. I would agree, it's early, of course.

So bring on this round, hope we flog you silly :D

Some of the basic rhetoric ITT has been we shouldn’t underestimate Port, but the reality is no team should be taken lightly.

Port have brought some pace into their team, but this is a very winnable game for us.

No chance Garlett will line up on Gray. He'll get someone like Rozee or Butters.

Not sure who goes to Gray though...he's just as good in the air as at ground level which is why he's a difficult match up.
He's got too much agility for Plowman, who'll be needed for one of Port's 3 talls anyway.

For me it would be either Newman or Daisy. Leaning towards Newman who's probably a better 1v1 defender than Daisy.

Agree completely, Newman

Some of the basic rhetoric ITT has been we shouldn’t underestimate Port, but the reality is no team should be taken lightly.

Port have brought some pace into their team, but this is a very winnable game for us.
when the * are we ever in a position to take ANY team lightly? the idea itself is mind-boggling..........

the only problem with newman is if he has to guard gray then he won't have as much of an impact with the ball. i'd send plowman first and see how he goes and move Newman to him if he gets on top. i mean what's plowman's role if he can't match up on the smaller forwards who are good in the air?

it's also worth noting that port don't have dixon and could lose marshall to concussion so potentially a very small forward line...

20 years?

Moody any chance you could stop looking in the rear vision mirror?

As for points scored

Pies 65
Demons 61
Crows 55
Swans 65
WC 58
Bummers 40
Norf 59

We just played a side that won the flag in 2017 and finished on top at the end of the H&A last year

ESKIE

Collingwood 65
Melbourne 61
Adelaide 55
Swans 65
Eagles 58
Essendon 40
North 59

Edit: the average score for Round 1 2019 was 76 points, the lowest in 64 years
Footy stats. This is what we love. For all the hypotheticals floating around, it's the numbers which tell at least part of the story.

Good work Eskie (just don't steal my thunder).

Did you by any chance check all scores for Rnd 1?

Collingwood - 65
Sydney - 65
Melbourne - 61
Norf - 59
Eagles - 58
Adelaide - 55
Essendon* - 40

I didn't think so .......

Best do some research Moody!!!!!!!
His role is to come in & belt all positivity out of us because we all must be gloomy, even early in the week.

Ed to Rockliff; he’s the perfect matchup.
Do we play two rucks in lieu of port targeting Gawn last week? I fear the fragile Phillips would only last 15 minutes then it would be Mckay’s turn to cop a beating. Or do we prepare for Cripps to be targeted?
In saying all that I’d love to see a positive mindset and us getting physical with their youngsters. It’s time our boys got on the front foot.
This is a very winnable game if we bring the right mindset. If not, it could get ugly.

True, comparing to Port of last year missing Dixon, Wines, Polec and Wingard...big outs which is why their win against Melbourne was so surprising.

What we do have in defence is experience, and i'd back the steady hands of Simmo, Thomas and Newman to be too experienced for the likes of Rozee, Dursma and Butters who will only be in their second games. Wouldn't mind getting stuck into them and Marshall physically.
Yep yep yep.

Melbourne let Rozee and Butters get a full head of steam last week, to the point where they were also mouthing off at Gawn. He should target them physically

I’d say Plowman goes to gray or even fisher when he’s in the middle. This was the play for Martin and it worked somewhat but he still had a game high 12 score involvements. We will need to do better on gray but I don’t think he’s as efficient as Dustin anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back