Review Rd 1, 2019: Freo destroy the Roos

Remove this Banner Ad

Kangas made some mistakes too. Conca was yelling at the umpire that North only had 5 forwards. They then gave the North players time to readjust despite the centre bounce being held up.
I got the feeling the AFL didn't want to pay a lot of free kicks for structure issues, I didn't notice any double 50s either despite chances for them to pay it

Tucker's two goals were really good. His set shot from 52 was pretty much perfect.
Good speed, good size, good kick, good decision maker, good defensively.

His main issue was not being able to get enough of the ball. Funnily enough, when he's played on ball he gets the ball.

Good speed, good size, good kick, good decision maker, good defensively.

His main issue was not being able to get enough of the ball. Funnily enough, when he's played on ball he gets the ball.
Don't you think it is helping him to play on an oppo good player? He gets taken to the ball. It may also help him mentally to know he is doing an important job defensively.

Tucker's two goals were really good. His set shot from 52 was pretty much perfect.
Totally agree... he is our breakout this year!

That shot he did from a clearance outside 50 (perhaps the one you talk about above) was a sign of his maturity.. I might have to watch the replay to confirm but I think I remember seeing Fyfe right there with him hands out to receive the ball but he almost pushed/slid around Fyfe and took it on himself "I got dis bra"

Don't you think it is helping him to play on an oppo good player? He gets taken to the ball. It may also help him mentally to know he is doing an important job defensively.
I might need to watch it again but I didn't think it was a hard tag like Crowley used to do.

He was being accountable for an opposition player while also playing in the midfield. I've never watched Tucker and thought he doesn't know where to position himself. More he played a role in the flanks where in the past many a good Freo player have gone to die.

In the JLT and then in Rnd 1 he has played alot closer to the action so he got alot more of the ball.

The Eagles midfield were lauded last year for being accountable two way runners, playing well offensively and defensively.

Did Tucker get taken to the ball while being accountable for an opposition mid or was he just playing in the midfield while being accountable for an opposition player? I'm thinking the latter, but who knows.

So I watched the replay last night and near the end of the 3rd quarter Tabs takes a huge mark, loses balance and hits a North player in the fruits. I replayed it about 10 times...
haha, I did the exact same.

At one angle it looks like he was over balancing himself and was an accident, but then the front on angle he appeared to look up and think "Gunna nail this guy" and put his fist out... bit average if true but gave me a chuckle hahah

Decided to have a look at the tracking stats for the game earlier this morning. It was pretty obvious Fremantle were running a lot harder in defence than North (ie putting on pressure and spreading quickly to zone in front of the ball) and the stats proved it. I don't understand why some are calling for Banfield to be dropped as he worked incredibly hard defensively, being top 5 for average speed in defence along with Tucker, Ryan and Colyer. Defensive work rate may not be front of mind for spectators but it is really important in winning games. The Roos should be looking squarely at their defensive work rate as a big reason they got absolutely smashed - especially their one way midfield (brings back memories from some of our games last season).

We had a really good spread of runners generally with Pearce and McCarthy at either end of the ground being top 4 for distance covered along with Tucker playing through the midfield. Hill was a long way from his AFL sprint and repeat sprint records but still topped the game for both. Cerra and Shultz, and Conca, Langdon and Pearce joined him in each top 5 respectively. Hill also easily had the longest distance at high speed in the game (3.4km, next best was 2.7km).

Colyer had the fastest recorded speed on the ground, whilst Langdon had the second best.

One thing I also noticed that I didn't know was that Jesse Hogan holds the AFL record for the highest speed achieved in an AFL game with 37.5km/h in Rd 4 last year. I knew he wasn't slow but that's incredible. He's also no slouch with his endurance... Exciting stuff.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Totally agree... he is our breakout this year!

That shot he did from a clearance outside 50 (perhaps the one you talk about above) was a sign of his maturity.. I might have to watch the replay to confirm but I think I remember seeing Fyfe right there with him hands out to receive the ball but he almost pushed/slid around Fyfe and took it on himself "I got dis bra"

How great was it seeing players back themselves in to take the shot!

The last few years of watching us faff about with endless handballs and backwards kicks trying to manufacture the perfect shot was ******* frustrating.

Fyfe seemed to have a lot of time on the pine. Don't mind it, but gee I love it when he goes forward.
Obviously we know he came back on unhindered in the 4th but with the query about this in the presser the response was around limited preseason minutes (which is of course true) but does that require the lengthy conversation between Fyfe, Ross and the Doc at 3qtr time?

Thought I should point out the absolute aerial domination we achieved during that game as it seems to be a bit glossed over.

Fremantle topped the league for contested marks with 16, 4 more than second
North Melbourne were restricted to second bottom with only 6.

Amazing what having targets to kick to does for a team

Thought I should point out the absolute aerial domination we achieved during that game as it seems to be a bit glossed over.

Fremantle topped the league for contested marks with 16, 4 more than second
North Melbourne were restricted to second bottom with only 6.

Amazing what having targets to kick to does for a team
wow. May need to rethink how we see ourselves if this keeps up.

Tom North,seen this boy develop as a footballer and cricketer in the eastern suburbs of Melbourne.Freemantle drafted him last season but injuries hurt his 1st season.Impressed with this young boy and wonder how close he is to senior selection.With Tom's junior football in Melbourne he always played 1 grade above his age grade which I was impressed with.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back