Past #32: Mason Wood - 65 NM games/76 NM goals - delisted end '20 - SSP selection for STK '21 - GL Mase

Yeah I made a statement yesterday and today I revisited that well, he's now apparently second guessing himself, not wanting to get in other players way etc.

I suppose my frustration is that something clearly isn't right and we should have traded him when we had the opportunity. But we hold onto guys with value when we may actually feel they'll never get there. FYI we're putting a s**t load of work into Mas.

He needs a shrink or someone to throw him out of a plane (with a parachute I spose).

Sometimes the best thing to do with fear is run flat out at it.

Aug 15, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Time for a different look forward line. Other clubs have had small forwards. So can we. Ziebell. Zurhaar. Garner. Simpkin. Brown. LDU. Run and gun it.

Jun 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Larkey is ready - he was match day emergency - he is the next one in.

He is a young Drew Petrie - sure - he needs another 5kg's - but he provides a legitimate 6'6' target in the forward line and he can play the game.

GET HIM IN.

Campbell will play before Larkey

tiltraise

Premiership Player
Feb 12, 2008
arden street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Disgraceful performance to only get it 8 times yet not lay a tackle.

Should be banished to the 2s until he shows some mongrel.

Bring in Thomas at least the kid will have a go at ground level and can take a grab.

marklovesbeer

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 8, 2010
South Adelaide
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
South Adelaide Panthers
Who can replace him? Larkey isn't ready.
Not directed at you specifically, but why isn’t Larkey ready?
He’s not fully bulked up yet, but he’s tall, moves well (from what I’ve seen) & kicks goals. Frosty medalist surely deserves a crack at the top level now.

Larkey seemed to be out of form in the practice matches. Dec Watson had more better moments. I would like to see either given a go.

It’s worth remembering Mason has only played 40 games. He should have been given more games earlier in his career the question is do you persist with a guy that has shown glimpses and risk making the same mistake with the other two boys?

I’d play Larkey and hope Mason can build some confidence in the VFL.

Sep 11, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Give him at least a full year to get some continuity in his footy. As soft and disgraceful as he has been, imo we should hold off on the pitch forks

He definitley has the ability and as soon as we start to see that he gets injured. He would be Mentally and physically shot

Mar 14, 2002
Gasometer Wing
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Should be dropped on last weeks effort but Scott will give him a chance to respond. He would want to take it.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

I sat behind Mase the week before he kicked the winning goal v Swans last year. Spent the whole game looking frustrated....iirc a loss...came away thinking he has the passion to play but his on field demeanour resembles Laconic Lachie at times. Complex dude

Has to be dropped thsi week. For Tarryn Thomas. Even if TT gets under 10 touches and doesn't kick a goal, he'll at least lay tackles.

justroyal

Premiership Player
Jul 1, 2014
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Frustration is warrented, sure. But let's not be too quick to forget what he is capable of and give him some leeway on how much his injuries have plagued him mentally. In saying that, he is not granted flexibility over kicking yips that we saw last year.

Our frustration with him is extended all around the ground.
Time in the two's should be welcomed to Wood, Turner, Lmac, Jy if their performance persist for one more round. (I feel the other three should be there now, but whatever)

Larkey didn't bang the door down in the JLT matches - for someone with his stature he didn't create much of a presence during contests. Campbell did.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I'm still holding on Mason Wood stock. He had a sub-par start but his stop start career means he's never built a strong enough baseline to just turn up and deliver.

As said earlier, he tends to reflect the side's tempo rather than set it. But that means when the side is breaking even or on top, so does he.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Even if you’re having a bad day and always seem second to the ball.
To not lay a 1 tackle is pretty much it for mine..
and to think Ahern got dumped for his defence.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I'm still holding on Mason Wood stock. He had a sub-par start but his stop start career means he's never built a strong enough baseline to just turn up and deliver.

As said earlier, he tends to reflect the side's tempo rather than set it. But that means when the side is breaking even or on top, so does he.

I'm not giving up on him either, after last weeks defensive turnover debacle.

I'll wait and see how he goes when he's getting decent opportunities.

Back