Women's Footy AFLW Bulldogs - 2022 Round 1 vs Demons

Remove this Banner Ad

We can lose a max of 4 players so we are not going to get cleaned out. If Katie does leave it's not the end of the world her ankle/footy is a concern for the long run. Even though she played every game this season it didn't feel like she was at her best.

The players we NEED to hang onto are: Blackburn, Conti, Lamb, Huntington, Scott, Utri, McCarthy, Birch, Toogood

This year our biggest loss wasn't Kearney, It was O'Connor and Bruton we really struggled with tackling pressure this season and barely could get a hit out at all. Bruton is a tackling machine and O'Connor is an excellent HO to Adv.

Once the competition reaches 18+ teams the "poaching" element will move along, it's a small price to pay for long term success but is understandably frustrating. Also, the academies are starting to reach their full potential so the U18 talent pool is getting much stronger which will also help the expansion.

Still one year it's Kearney, Bannister, Brutton and O'Connor and then next year it's Brennan and a bunch of middle tier players that you can't replace en masse. It adds up real quickly and frankly it's gonna hurt the Bulldogs and Demons more than teams like Adelaide or North.

Maybe they can take Blackburn too .. we don't want to be competitive at all, being the pioneers and all

Still one year it's Kearney, Bannister, Brutton and O'Connor and then next year it's Brennan and a bunch of middle tier players that you can't replace en masse. It adds up real quickly and frankly it's gonna hurt the Bulldogs and Demons more than teams like Adelaide or North.
Yeah I understand it would be , prob should have been limited to 4 over 2 seasons . Interesting that mo hope has been delisted from nm

Mo Hope wasn't a good enough athlete at the top level. Got found out when the level increased, wouldn't be the first to look like a champ at a Lower level. Just didn't have the wheels to get away to mark when the defender could go with her

Couple of things...

That "news report" is speculation at best. Of course Richmond would be interested, they would be negligent if they weren't. Same goes for Gold Coast, she is a Queenslander after all and just ask Sam McClure if a report from a trusted source can lead you to making a complete fool of yourself

This is unfortunately the price for being a leader in a compromised situation. The rapid expansion of course means established players will be targeted first. They are the ones who have proven they can play at this level

I do understand however that this one would sting, especially given her stance that it was the bulldogs or nothing. Let's hope that the culture of our club means more

Whatever happens though, I will be buying my memberships and supporting every person who runs onto the footy field wearing our magnificent jumper. I gotta admit though, the growing pains of the AFLW are kinda exciting. Who could have ever thought they would be standing on the precipice of history

Mo Hope wasn't a good enough athlete at the top level. Got found out when the level increased, wouldn't be the first to look like a champ at a Lower level. Just didn't have the wheels to get away to mark when the defender could go with her
Much fitter this year , after seeing her in the all stars game prior to AFLW starting thought she would be a star , has really battled

The best players are going to come through the TAC cup no doubt. A lot of the so called 25-30 yo stars will be left behind. So losing a few older players and getting good draft picks may not hurt in the long run.

The best players are going to come through the TAC cup no doubt. A lot of the so called 25-30 yo stars will be left behind. So losing a few older players and getting good draft picks may not hurt in the long run.

Remember that we got a third rounder as compensation for losing the best player in the league in 2018 and nothing for the other four players we lost. We aren't going to be compensated s**t

Remember that we got a third rounder as compensation for losing the best player in the league in 2018 and nothing for the other four players we lost. We aren't going to be compensated s**t
Compensation doesn't really work when everybody needs compensating. Fiddling the draft order was a reasonable compromise.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

So, how soon do we start hearing about our better players being poached by the 2020 expansion sides? Or maybe the mercenaries that left us last year will move again.

Support local women's leagues, suburban and rural, not the corrupt AFLW.

Hate to quote myself, but didn't take long. AFLW is corrupted by the rules in place for recruitment by expansion sides. I understand the expansion sides need to be competitive, but maybe the expansions should have been every second year, not every year, at least give girls coming through junior ranks a chance to get established and talent pool to grow.

AFLW strategy is haphazard at best.

Support the lower levels of women's footy, where your wives, daughters, girlfriends, cousins, nieces play - more rewarding. A women's team I have a link to has players ranging from 17 to 50yo in their ranks, my kids' secondary school has a strong boy's and girl's footy program.

Maybe AFLW should have started with completely new clubs, rather than trying to build clubs within clubs.

Compensation doesn't really work when everybody needs compensating. Fiddling the draft order was a reasonable compromise.

The issue is how lopsided the losses were. We lost the league B+F for next to nothing, as well as Bruton who was among our best players too, then two solid depth players. Some other clubs lost next to nothing. That's why it's unfair

Maybe AFLW should have started with completely new clubs, rather than trying to build clubs within clubs.

Agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post. However creating teams within existing AFL(M) clubs was the obvious way to go to gather immediate interest and an ardent following, and to utilise existing footy infrastructure.

How many here would bother if the side we now know as the WB had been called the Wyndham Warriors and played its home games at some VFL or other suburban venue?

But yes, it's hard not to feel cheated when we put in all the groundwork and then Jenny-Come-Lately sides just cherrypick the squad we put together. It's very deflating and will turn people off for a year or two. Long term it will settle down but it gives us something to maintain our "F-you, AFL" rage over in the meantime (not that there's usually any shortage of fodder for that!)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Who is the "everybody"? Which clubs lost best 16 players after 2018, and how many did they lose? There was no reasonable compromise, it was a shambles. And I expect post-season 2019 to be even more of a shambles. AFL/AFLW management have no clear strategy for what they are trying to achieve, other than getting all AFL clubs represented as quickly as possible, regardless of the on-field cost to previous season's clubs.

Agree wholeheartedly with the rest of your post. However creating teams within existing AFL(M) clubs was the obvious way to go to gather immediate interest and an ardent following, and to utilise existing footy infrastructure.

How many here would bother if the side we now know as the WB had been called the Wyndham Warriors and played its home games at some VFL or other suburban venue?

But yes, it's hard not to feel cheated when we put in all the groundwork and then Jenny-Come-Lately sides just cherrypick the squad we put together. It's very deflating and will turn people off for a year or two. Long term it will settle down but it gives us something to maintain our "F-you, AFL" rage over in the meantime (not that there's usually any shortage of fodder for that!)

Don't disagree dw, I understand using existing clubs as the building blocks, just something I considered as an alternative, but you're right, it wouldn't have had any traction.

Long-term will be interesting. How will clubs be allowed to maintain lists, and how will player movement be managed? If Brisbane and Freo, under current rules, lose the maximum 8 players, that is potentially half of their starting 16! That is absolutely ludicrous, how can they cover those sort of losses before the 2020 season? Drafting kids will not replace 8 seasoned players, so do they turn to recruiting from other existing clubs, and then it just goes round and round in circles?

It's just shambolic management and strategy, but then I don't expect anything else from AFL House. They should have drafted a 5-year plan with consistent rules at the start, but that is beyond their grasp.

The problem is the competition is so young, even the established clubs and the
Pioneers clubs like Bulldogs and Melbourne are still moulding their teams, only to have players ripped away from them from expansion teams. It’s not like GWS coming into a 100 year plus competition.

The bigest problem has been the 1 year contracts and not being able to lock your players down, thus allowing them to be poached by rival clubs

Just get around the rules by giving all the players part time jobs:rolleyes:

The issue is how lopsided the losses were. We lost the league B+F for next to nothing, as well as Bruton who was among our best players too, then two solid depth players. Some other clubs lost next to nothing. That's why it's unfair
But how do you see compensation for this occurring? Yes, Crows and Dockers lost little, but how would extra picks in front of them help? The side with the weakest list of experienced players was the expansion side Geelong. Giving you priority picks over them completely undoes the logic of giving them the option of getting players from other clubs in the fist place.

Draft order was determined on the perceived strengths of the lists, its why North didn't get a pick until late. Its why Carlton and Collingwood went early, and the Cats got the first 2 picks. Carlton Collingwood Dogs, and to a lesser extent Melbourne could all demand compensation picks, which moves them up the order against the interstate clubs (meaningless) and Geelong, which is pointless.

You would think they would want to support women's footy in Qld and NSW, but the system of non compensation has allowed clubs to strip Brisbane and GWS of their non local players.

At the same time Freo and Adelaide are able to enjoy unfettered access to the very strong WA and SA leagues and lure players back home.

It's a recipe for the Crows and Freo to dominate for a long time.

They really should have used a salary cap to try and even the competition, but they have absolutely stuffed it. Look forward to a very uneven comp this year.

Congrats to Monique Conti on winning the WB B&F this season. Also picked as an AA. Not bad for a 19yo!

161 - Conti
155.5 - Blackburn
136 - Utri

2019 AFLW BEST AND FAIREST AWARD WINNERS

Best and Fairest: Monique Conti
Runner up: Ellie Blackburn
Third place: Aisling Utri
Coaches Award: Isabel Huntington
Community Award: Libby Birch
Most Improved: Kim Rennie
Players’ Player: Kirsty Lamb & Aisling Utri
Trainers Award: Lauren Spark
Best Young Player: Monique Conti

https://www.westernbulldogs.com.au/news/2019-04-04/conti-claims-bulldogs-best-and-fairest

My thoughts on the KB speculation: I wonder whether KB’s status as the face of the AFLW (and Bulldogs) has diminished both as a result of her absence from the field and also due to the number of Women at the Dogs with their own growing profiles. Good way to get back into the limelight = become high profile recruit at big Vic club

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

My thoughts on the KB speculation: I wonder whether KB’s status as the face of the AFLW (and Bulldogs) has diminished both as a result of her absence from the field and also due to the number of Women at the Dogs with their own growing profiles. Good way to get back into the limelight = become high profile recruit at big Vic club

People were saying why would she move from tier 1 at the dogs to tier 1 at another club, but I'm far from convinced she should be tier 1 for us. I like KB a lot, but for me there's half a dozen players I'd prioritise keeping over her. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Painful, but interesting.

People were saying why would she move from tier 1 at the dogs to tier 1 at another club, but I'm far from convinced she should be tier 1 for us. I like KB a lot, but for me there's half a dozen players I'd prioritise keeping over her. It will be very interesting to see how this all plays out. Painful, but interesting.

I’d say there’d be some discontent if more productive players were getting paid far less, given KBs lack of output (obviously injuries aren’t her fault). It’s always difficult to see players leave, particularly when they’ve been as in love with the club as KB has projected.

You would think they would want to support women's footy in Qld and NSW, but the system of non compensation has allowed clubs to strip Brisbane and GWS of their non local players.

At the same time Freo and Adelaide are able to enjoy unfettered access to the very strong WA and SA leagues and lure players back home.

It's a recipe for the Crows and Freo to dominate for a long time.

They really should have used a salary cap to try and even the competition, but they have absolutely stuffed it. Look forward to a very uneven comp this year.
Freo can lose up to 8 to West Coast. Adam Selwood in the West today said they intend to get the full 8. They are also chasing Chelsea Randall hard.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back