Review Dogs Run Out Of Legs And Lose To Collingwood - Rd 4 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Beveridge needs some serious heat. This team has serious talent that is being under-utilised just like the McCartney day’s.

Lynch, JJ, Richards and Smith all need to be in the same team. Need the line-breaking and kicking skills.

Webb should be tried at half back again when he first started and looked good overhead and positioning. His kicking speaks for itself. Why we got Duryea when we already had Lynch, Webb and Williams I will never know.

Schache goes for Trengove. A better ruck. A better follower. A better forward and can defend. Gives us more flexibility if Naughton has to go back.

Dickson - raffle Dale, Greene or Lipinski.

Dunkley /Wallis - Cavarra when fit or Williams.

Gowers goes as well.

We need more balance. It’s clear as day. It’s not a surprise that the team played well last year with Trengove rucking and Lynch taking the piss.

Can we stop with the degrading comments towards Josh Schache please? The guy played poorly tonight but he wasn't alone.

In 43 games he has kicked 47 goals. At the same point in his career Tom Lynch had kicked 42. Give him time, he is a kid that has been through so much off the field as well...some of you need to take a good hard look at yourselves.

Can we stop with the degrading comments towards Josh Schache please? The guy played poorly tonight but he wasn't alone.

In 43 games he has kicked 47 goals. At the same point in his career Tom Lynch had kicked 42. Give him time, he is a kid that has been through so much off the field as well...some of you need to take a good hard look at yourselves.

Oh good stop the excuses

Everyone’s life is hard I’d much rather be playing footy than having to work day in day out. Living in Qld and playing footy must have been torture

He is soft and has little intensity, he is the one that needs to have a look at himself

I'll probably get caned for saying this but I thought Naughton had a pretty ordinary game apart from one freakish spell in the third quarter. That is to say it was "pretty ordinary" by the high standards he's already set for himself.

I posted at half time that he'd only had one mark - uncontested - and that was in the middle of the ground, but I said it would be a good learning experience and it would be interesting to see whether he would lift in the second half. Well he did, and we were all mightily impressed. He's certainly a rare talent.

Unfortunately it ended there. He didn't take another mark although he did crash the packs a couple of times. Collingwood were too well organised at ground level and usually swept those loose balls out of defence tonight.

I know Collingwood's midfield got on top in the final quarter so there were fewer opportunities. He also got a lot of attention from the Collingwood defenders and was probably double-teamed a lot of the time (it's hard to tell from the limited TV coverage) but I thought he could have been doing more at ground level throughout the game as well as trying to take the big clunkers.

I'm not at all worried about him. He's a quick learner, extremely competitive and has huge potential. The third quarter gave us a glimpse of what he's capable of but at the end of the game that's all it was - a glimpse.

The bigger worry for me is that with Schache being so totally out of form it allows the opposition talls to put all their focus on Naughton and that's going to make it hard for him and the whole forward line. It's why we need someone - anyone - presenting as an alternative aerial threat inside 50, whether that's Gowers, Jong, Boyd, Young or somebody else.

He can't do it all on his own. He'll get much better opportunities to be influential if we have somebody else who looks like a threat down there.

Wallis and Dunkley can’t be in the same side if you ask me. Both butcher the ball and it’s hard to carry both. I’d say bring Jong in to replace one soon

Can't believe it took 5 pages before someone said this. All this blame on English, schache, Richards etc is BS.

Wallis and Dunkley are the players that need to step up for us to win a game like this. I don't care how many possession s they got, they need to win us games

Things that s**t me:

- we play on the left wing all the time, so predictable
- when Hunter & Wallis mark the ball they take an age to kick a floaty ball nowhere in particular
- using Caleb exclusively for kick ins isn’t working, teams are starting to work him out. He’ll get caught a few times trying that sidestep.
- we have the best, most fearsome mids at centre bounces
But they deserve a better forward line
- we need to give the ball to Bont, Suckling or Caleb at every opportunity. I’d much prefer Caleb in the midfield.
- don’t know what to make of Schache . He is melted cheese on a stick at the moment
- we are congesting the midfield. Gang tackling just leads to endless ball ups. Max Gawn doesn’t play for us last time I checked.We could try sacrificing a mid for a forward once in a while?
- Bev is too loyal to certain players. We’ve been blessedly injury free for 4 rounds but it’s obvious who the passengers are. Same names every week

Last edited:
Can't believe it took 5 pages before someone said this. All this blame on English, schache, Richards etc is BS.

Wallis and Dunkley are the players that need to step up for us to win a game like this. I don't care how many possession s they got, they need to win us games

Yeah but then he said lets bring in Jong and I was like :drunk:. Unless there's something I'm missing?

I'll probably get caned for saying this but I thought Naughton had a pretty ordinary game apart from one freakish spell in the third quarter. That is to say it was "pretty ordinary" by the high standards he's already set for himself.

I posted at half time that he'd only had one mark - uncontested - and that was in the middle of the ground, but I said it would be a good learning experience and it would be interesting to see whether he would lift in the second half. Well he did, and we were all mightily impressed. He's certainly a rare talent.

Unfortunately it ended there. He didn't take another mark although he did crash the packs a couple of times. Collingwood were too well organised at ground level and usually swept those loose balls out of defence tonight.

I know Collingwood's midfield got on top in the final quarter so there were fewer opportunities. He also got a lot of attention from the Collingwood defenders and was probably double-teamed a lot of the time (it's hard to tell from the limited TV coverage) but I thought he could have been doing more at ground level throughout the game as well as trying to take the big clunkers.

I'm not at all worried about him. He's a quick learner, extremely competitive and has huge potential. The third quarter gave us a glimpse of what he's capable of but at the end of the game that's all it was - a glimpse.

The bigger worry for me is that with Schache being so totally out of form it allows the opposition talls to put all their focus on Naughton and that's going to make it hard for him and the whole forward line. It's why we need someone - anyone - presenting as an alternative aerial threat inside 50, whether that's Gowers, Jong, Boyd, Young or somebody else.

He can't do it all on his own. He'll get much better opportunities to be influential if we have somebody else who looks like a threat down there.

In regards to his first half let’s be fair to Naughton, ball movement was ultra ultra slow and kicked directly on top of his head. Roughead for all his faults is a pretty good high ball defender and that’s all Naughton was receiving.

He needs help certainly though and I think ideally it’s a 200+Cm beast who contests the high balls.

On the move Naughton is basically unstoppable. Agree there is some things he can improve, his general play kicks (like the snap he missed) and the goal line stuff up, but this kid has never really trained much as a forward. He’s doing far better than ever dreamt as a forward.

Did anyone else hear Brereton try to lessen Naughton’s marks by saying that they were kicks that weren’t intended for him?

What a sour old fool.

If he's honestly said that, he's more of a d*** than I thought.

So he can now read the thoughts of players and who they're intended to kick to? What an amazing, incredible f*******.

I'm also amazed the studio lights don't melt his face.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But do you think he needs extra training? Or do we just keep playing him as is?

Oh good stop the excuses

Everyone’s life is hard I’d much rather be playing footy than having to work day in day out. Living in Qld and playing footy must have been torture

He is soft and has little intensity, he is the one that needs to have a look at himself
Mate i live interstate away from my parents and family and it is torture...couldn't imagine what it would be like if my old man had passed away as well.

Good effort tonight.

Naughton continues to impress.
Costly turnovers trying to cross the ball probably cost us the game in the end.
agree with this. watched the game on telly in the philipines. two of my mates are now bulldogs supporters. convinced of the barracking for us. i think that the team is improving. english needs help from another ruck. perhaps trengove has to come in. no turnovers and another ruck to neutralise their ruck would win our game. understand bevos' philosophy in making english a ruck. when he develops he will be unbeatable. mark my words. anyone know how boyd did today. keep the spirits up, we are a good side. trust me on this. GO DOGS!!! THAT MARK BY CROZIER WAS BRILLIANT BY THE WAY.

Mate come on, Lynch wasn't scared of attacking the footy or body contact. That's the issue with Schache. He deserves the criticism because it isn't good enough that a 19 year old playing next to him is putting him to shame.

Mate i live interstate away from my parents and family and it is torture...couldn't imagine what it would be like if my old man had passed away as well.

All fair points, all of them.

But, at the end of the day he's a very well paid professional footballer. With that comes expectations.

We all have hard times in our lives, but when we go to work the boss still expects us to do what we're paid to do.

I wouldn't be having a go at him if he went hard and competed for the ball. I see him chase players half stick and it's frustrating too. He is a good kick of the footy but needs to 100% want it.

So have i and without being callous that’s life unfortunately

We all go through it and using that as an excuse is weak in my opinion. Others use it as a reason to perform nit Shrink and regardless that’s no excuse for being soft

If u can’t have a crack for whatever reason don’t go out there but if u do then at least bloody try

All up I wasn’t too displeased. We were competitive. Gee Smith excites me. The kid has that inner fire. A couple of years from now will and he will be a real player.
OHH YEAH! totally agree with you here. when he kicked that goal it cristalised his upside. he is just a kid, wait a couple of years with muscle, strength and experience. this kid is an unpolished diamond.

Mate come on, Lynch wasn't scared of attacking the footy or body contact. That's the issue with Schache. He deserves the criticism because it isn't good enough that a 19 year old playing next to him is putting him to shame.
Thats an unfair comparison...Naughton is a different beast. Should all mids be b&f/AA quality at 20 like Bont was?

We were all praising him for the way he attacked the footy against the Hawks just a fortnight ago. He will continue to be inconsistent until his mind and body matures. The "pea heart" comments are below the belt imo.

gowers might get dropped. Schache might be saved by his height. Bev muttering about having a few forwards who didnt do enough work without the ball.

I mean, none of our forwards did that well -- its a tough gig when you take 10 years to bring the ball forward and the entire opposition side is waiting for it in your half of the ground, but our taller marking forwards have to make sure that the ball hits the deck for a 50/50 ground ball in those situations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back