Review Dogs Run Out Of Legs And Lose To Collingwood - Rd 4 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

gowers might get dropped. Schache might be saved by his height. Bev muttering about having a few forwards who didnt do enough work without the ball.

I mean, none of our forwards did that well -- its a tough gig when you take 10 years to bring the ball forward and the entire opposition side is waiting for it in your half of the ground, but our taller marking forwards have to make sure that the ball hits the deck for a 50/50 ground ball in those situations.
Even when they did manage to bring it to ground there wasn't a lot of support and the Pies just mopped it up

I wanted a mature ruck at trade time, we took the developing Sweet who is the same age as English and who is still building his tank. Strange one.

Trengove was line ball with English during JLT. Schache gives us nothing as R2 right now. Hopefully Trengove pulls up OK after the VFL game as he can't be worse forward than Schache the past two games
Boomer Harvey said preseason we were Bailey Smith and an experienced ruck away from being a top 8 team. It's early days this year but probably a good call. However I tend to think that had we picked up a pruess type and had English playing at Footscray all year that English was probably more of a flight risk than he is currently, being given first ruck responsibility and the support of the coaches. We may just miss the eight this year but long term I think will probably show that the club made the right call. You'd think English stars halving those ruck duals next year. And he only needed a couple more touches to have a twenty possession game.

Commiserations doggies...good game just did'nt get the choccies this time!
Plenty to be happy about!
That almost goal from Lloydey!
Surely that mark of the year!
Those awesome pack grabs by Naughton so Richo like...
Looking forward to seeing your side take on the WCE...good luck the Season is still a pup!

Lynch was better at AFL level than VFL level think we just need to bring him in and see If he can produce. We really need some better delivery into the forward 50
Getting Williams and Lynch back into the side at their end of 2018 form would be a huge bonus. We're lacking a bit of creativity on the outside atm. And the bit of mongrel that both bring.

H
I've been trying to reconcile the playing style in the first half with the much more exciting second half.

My guess is there were two reasons for the stagnant play in the first half:
1. the fear of being opened up on the rebound if we run-and-gun and have a high rate of turnovers (like the Hawthorn game)
2. the worry that after the short break we'd run out of legs if we went flat out from the first bounce (this proved to be the case anyway, I think)

The problem was that we were still turning the ball over anyway. We were gifting Collingwood goals in the first half and yet we weren't scoring many of our own.

The stagnant mark-and-stop play simply played into Collingwood's hands. It allowed them to flood back and cover the Naughton threat. How good would it have been to see Naughton given more 1-on-1 opportunities? If he stays up forward we can't expect him to win the game with pack-busting screamers. We have to transition quickly while there's still space in the forward line, even if it means a few more turnovers. At least we'll be scoring the rest of the time.

I think the 0-0 draw that we were faced with at half time caused both coaches to release the shackles a bit and allow the midfielders a bit more licence to take the game on. Even then we were still pretty static most of the time. Our goals came from weight of i50s and the likelihood that the ball would sooner or later bounce our way. That's hard yakka and the evidence can be seen in another paltry return of 9 goals for the match.

One other thing I find so frustrating: we have blokes like Libba, Bont, Daniel and Macrae do all the tackling, hard inside work and quick handpasses to finally get the ball to a player in space. They are all decent and creative kicks but so often the player waiting on the outside to take the kick resulting from all their hard work was Lachie Hunter who usually does those high floaty things 35m down the boundary line.

Result - quick rebound and start all over again.

I love Hunter's hard running and consistency but he's one bloke I'd be very happy to see with a very low K:HB ratio.
Hunter's work rate is exceptional but we really need Lynch to be receiving the handball from Hunter rather than have Hunter just floating it down the line or into the forward 50.
He is just s non damaging with his kicking no penetration

I for one am actually happier with English this week than last week. Still ineffective in the ruck, but showed a lot more around the ground. We carried players who were far less effective than him without also having to ruck most of the night against one of the leagues best ruckmen. I think it's worth persisting with.

Probably mentioned already? But pretty obvious the lads were told not to waste their disposals after last week (ie don't blindly kick it forward). However we took that too far last night with too many dinky sideways kicks looking for options. We need a middle ground of effective targeted kicks but also fast movement forward. We are on the verge of putting that together IMO and look out when we do.

The fact you say Lloyd was our best forward shows why we barely are able to score despite multiple forward entries.

He came cheap so have no complaints with picking him up but there is a reason he barely played for the tiges in 2017 and 2018
You’ve completely changed your argument.

A minute ago he was one of the poorest players on the pitch and not good enough.

Now that’s been pointed out as untrue you’ve let slip that you’ve basically got it in for the bloke regardless of how he plays.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well Minson was AA ruck in 2011.

Honestly he and Hudson did a pretty solid job in the late 2000s.
You’re right. Those 2 were fantastic.
Can anyone tell me how Sweet has been playing. I really liked the look of him. Is he a project tuck man or is he showing something now?

Bad luck last night folks, thought you didn't get the luck you probably needed to roll a pretty decent Collingwood outfit.

Anyway, the highlight for mine was Aaron Naughton. Got a serious player there. The way he smashes packs will have me tuning into more dogs games.
Would love a guy like that in our forward 50.

Anyone who thinks Trengove wouldn't have been similarly dominated by Grundy has a very short memory.

I think people are just saying that being able to throw fresh bodies at Grundy may have been helpful.

Grundys been the best ruckman in the league for a few years.

Last weeks loss to Suns hurts even more now.

Naughton my god. I thought we may have drafted the next Chris Grant. But I think we may have drafted the next Wayne Carey!!
Thought I was watching a 21 yo Carey leaping over everything out at the WO all over again

This was lost at the selection table. English solo rucking again, absolutely slaughtered at the stoppages. Dropping a tall defender for a small against a team with Mason Cox.

Bring back Monty.
We covered Cox pretty well until he was gifted that Mark and Goal IMO. When he played on it could have cost them the game if we had been a bit more polished.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back