Traded 2018 Live Trade: Carlton trade #4 (2019) to Adelaide for #19 (2018) and #9 (2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

We're full of talented youngsters. We wont need any for a year or two while the ones we have develop.

Adding another 18 year old mid to a midfield of half a dozen 18-20 year old mids and Cripps isnt what we need to be doing.

I disagree with this logic.Its not about the number of young players, its about the quality, predominantly. There is always room for super high draft picks. Especially when Carlton are last(2018, 2019) and currently looking at the wooden spoon again. GWS have arguably the most talented list seen and yet look revitalized and even stronger with like Tim Taranto coming in, as one example.

If i were a Carlton fan I would be far from pleased with potentially giving away of a top3 pick in this period of the rebuild. The should be adding to that core of elite young talent.

I disagree with this logic.Its not about the number of young players, its about the quality, predominantly. There is always room for super high draft picks. Especially when Carlton are last(2018, 2019) and currently looking at the wooden spoon again. GWS have arguably the most talented list seen and yet look revitalized and even stronger with like Tim Taranto coming in, as one example.

If i were a Carlton fan I would be far from pleased with potentially giving away of a top3 pick in this period of the rebuild. The should be adding to that core of elite young talent.
Carlton are trading their first rounder, its been on the plan for 3 years now.

Spot on. Seeing the impact walsh has had compared to smith at the dog's. Small pick gap but one is elite the other is showing signs..

We dont want kids. We want established players.

If you break down Brisbane’s 26-man squad for Round 4, they have spent an average of 6.84 years in an AFL system. Meanwhile, Carlton’s 26-man squad for Round 4 sits at 5.76 years in the system. It’s almost exactly a full year behind the Lions.

The kicker is, of those squads, Brisbane has nine players who have had five years in an AFL system or less, whereas Carlton currently has an enormous 17.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/11/the-stats-that-prove-you-cant-compare-brisbane-and-carlton/

We're fielding a ridiculous amount of kids (even compared to Brisbane, who are also young). Most of them taken with high draft picks. Adding another one wont do jack s**t.

We need to add experienced and seasoned players to add layers, while those kids take the next step.

We dont want kids. We want established players.

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2019/04/11/the-stats-that-prove-you-cant-compare-brisbane-and-carlton/

We're fielding a ridiculous amount of kids (even compared to Brisbane, who are also young). Most of them taken with high draft picks. Adding another one wont do jack s**t.

We need to add experienced and seasoned players to add layers, while those kids take the next step.

Murphy 31
Simpson 34
Thomas 31
Curnow 29
Jones 28
Lobbe 30
Casboult 29

played in the losing game to the Suns. Plus Cripps, Newman, Gibbons, Plowman, McGovern. Fielding a "ridiculous amount of kids" seems overstated to me; Carlton had an older more experienced team than the like of GCSuns, Richmond, St Kilda this round.

I'm not sure how you lot can be so high on Walsh and yet be so dismissive about the potential benefit another of his type would bring to the mix long term. We have established "We dont want kids. We want established players" where we disagree is if this is the right path. SOS has already claim IIRC the rebuild is over and the blues are onto stage two.

Another elite talent would probable be ideal

Last edited:
It will be extremely concerning for Carlton if they have infact given up a pick #1 / #2 with the likes of Rowell ,Anderson,Flanders all touted as extremely good players.

Liam Stocker will determine the trade and the type or quality of player he becomes in 2-3 years , Carlton traded the pick for Stocker and not the number of the pick,

It will be extremely concerning for Carlton if they have infact given up a pick #1 / #2 with the likes of Rowell ,Anderson,Flanders all touted as extremely good players.

Liam Stocker will determine the trade and the type or quality of player he becomes in 2-3 years , Carlton traded the pick for Stocker and not the number of the pick,
Could possibly come in for either LOB or Dow next week. Looking forward to seeing the kid play.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The hard thing for carlton as the season goes on is for the young kids to maintain a high output as they typically tire. If they lose to the dogs this week it might be demoralising for them as they are 2 of the teams they would have fancied themselves against. Luckily for them adelaide has started the year in an awful way and it remains to be seen if they can dig themselves out of the hole. Having said that it is very very rare to see a pick 1 traded and it might end up that way if carlton can't find a way to start winning..hopefully so from the crows perspective as it will mean a super top end young player joins them for the first time in their history

Murphy 31
Simpson 34
Thomas 31
Curnow 29
Jones 28
Lobbe 30
Casboult 29

played in the losing game to the Suns.

Which of that lot do you consider elite? Would you trade anything of value for any of those players if they were available at seasons end? Simpson maybe? Jones?

Let's get real. They're largely place holders and nothing more, propping up a list of 18 kids.

We need to add a few blokes in the 24-28 year old window, not more kids.

This is an interesting trade to dissect already.

I have no idea what Liam Stocker is like, but Crows look well ahead early.

A lot also depends on where crows finish.

This might be one of the most interesting trades to watch over the next 3 years

Which of that lot do you consider elite? Would you trade anything of value for any of those players if they were available at seasons end? Simpson maybe? Jones?

Let's get real. They're largely place holders and nothing more, propping up a list of 18 kids.

The problem will be attracting quality players.
Sheil took less money to go to the Bombers for example.
I think you'll need to rebuild through players like Newman. Good B graders with potential to still improve

You should target Cognilio and Tomlinson but not sure they want to join Carlton.

You should target Cognilio and Tomlinson but not sure they want to join Carlton.

We will be, and I agree. We're a hard sell at the moment.

Eventually those kids are going to come good, but it's probably still a few years away.

It's catch 22. We need established 26 year olds in the side to get more wins. We cant attract those established 26 year olds unless we're winning though.

We will be, and I agree. We're a hard sell at the moment.

Eventually those kids are going to come good, but it's probably still a few years away.

It's catch 22. We need established 26 year olds in the side to get more wins. We cant attract those established 26 year olds unless we're winning though.
Yer I think you need to target 21,22 year olds coming out of their 1st contract that havent had a good go at it for numerous reasons ala Setterfield

Yer I think you need to target 21,22 year olds coming out of their 1st contract that havent had a good go at it for numerous reasons ala Setterfield

Im more intrested in players in the free agency window and established stars.

We'd be more than happy to trade out this years first (linked to Adelaide for reasons expressed in this thread) and next years first, plus maybe a spare young KPP defender (we have Weitering, Jones, Marchbank, Plowman, Macreadie, Goddard as tall backs, so could afford to lose one - most likely Plowman or Macreadie).

We literally fielded 17 kids on the weekend, and our older players are simply not that good, or in the twilight of their careers. We also have a lack of talent in the 23-28 age range (Cripps just turned 24, Docherty is 25 but will be missed again this year, Jones just turned 28, and there is no-one else of note in that age range), with the bulk of our list concentrated in the 18-22 range due to the recent 4 drafts and trade periods spent getting in kids and trading players out.

We've literally used 9 x 1st rounders in 4 drafts, plus trading in young 2nd year players taken as former 1st round picks (Setterfield, Marchbank, Plowman, Kennedy, Pickett, Lang, Goddard) from other sides on the cheap. If you count them as 1st rounders, it's something insane like 16 x 1st round picks in 4 years.

After 4 years of smashing the draft, the last thing we need right now is yet another 18 year old. We need to get in some established players for a year or two to help those kids develop.

Watch us play and you'll see a bunch of kids getting flogged in the midfield. Cripps is a beast, but after him it's Walsh, SPS, Dow, Fisher and Setterfield as mids and they're (on average) around 20 years of age with around the same number of games played on average.

Throw them against a seasoned midfield and you're in a world of strife.

What makes you say that?

Early on in last years trade period a poster with a great track record stated Carlton’s 2019 1st was up for grabs.
3 years ago Carlton established the blueprint for this rebuild. The first three drafts/trades are for bringing in as much high quality youth between age 18-23. The years following are dedicated to free agency and trading in quality mature players (as oppose to stop gaps). The idea is to bring as many players into their prime via organic growth + trading at the same time and shoot up the ladder. SOS's interview with Caro Wilson reiterates this.

I don't know why they would deviate from the plan now. Sounds exactly like something they desperately need.

If i were to guess, 2 first rounders for a player like coniglio without overpaying with pick 1 is the strategy.

(They did attempt to aquire Rockliff and Shiel due to circumstances being much more dire than predicted)

Wasn’t that the plan with a guy like Fasolo*? I think you’re right overall, there’s no point replacing any of those blokes with kids, however Casboult ahead of him doesn’t gel with me. Otherwise why bother chasing him?

*unless he’s of course injured again. Which raises further questions.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back