Remove this Banner Ad

Atomboy

Premiership Player
Jan 22, 2007
Yes
AFL Club
St Kilda
Gang,

This should probably go on the main board, but I hesitate given the peanut gallery and lynch-mob mentality, so thought I would at least float here. If you see merit in convincing the mods to move to the main board, then I am happy to pursue.

I have met the young man in question, and while he could quite rightly choose to be bitter and negative given what life has thrown his way, he is anything but. Safe to say that Aussie Rules has given him a purpose in life, and he has been determined to share the joy it has given him with others as equally as unfortunate.

Things have taken a turn for the worse for him this week and he finds himself in yet another really tough spot given he has no family to support him in what lies ahead. This is not a hard sell for dollars (contribute if you feel it is warranted) but I thought someone should at least tell his story in a place where it would be appreciated.

There are many Sumesh’s in the world and we can't save them all, but a passion for Aussie Rules is the link that connects him to the Big Footy community.

Aussies Rules Footy Community Leader Critically Injured in Mumbai

Sumesh Sawant, co-founder of Reclink India, a community-based Aussie Rules football and sports program operating across India, has been critically injured in a motorcycle accident in his home city of Mumbai.

Sumesh’s connection to Aussie Rules began almost a decade ago, where he was introduced to the sport by Australian Lincoln Harris who lived in Mumbai near Sumesh at the time. Since then, in partnership with not-for-profit Reclink Australia, Sumesh has devoted his time and channelled all his energy into spreading Aussie Rules across India. For nearly 10 years, Sumesh has been central to building a community of Aussie Rules players and fans in India. Each year he coordinates the All India Football Carnival, in addition to a national Aussie Rules football program which has touched thousands of school students. He has strongly advocated for the game to be accessible to young Indian girls. Asked once what the sport meant to him – Sumesh described Aussie Rules as a religion.

Sumesh recently crashed his motorcycle in Mumbai and is currently in critical condition in hospital. He has a long road to recovery ahead and an Aussie Rules community in India that is relying on him.

There is a Go fund me page which is raising funds for his treatment and ongoing therapy: https://www.gofundme.com/help-save-sumesh

Remove this Banner Ad

Back