Draft Watcher Knightmare's 2019 Draft Almanac

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
It is great to see the northern academy kids getting some recognition through the revamped under 18 comp. In the past they have been somewhat overlooked. It might also be interesting to see that of last years Swans NDS (19 year olds) crop several are ripping it up at NEAFL level. Both Bailey Stewart and Josh Stern are dominating for Sydney Uni at NEAFL level with high stat numbers. Likewise swans cat B rookie sam wicks, who also had no visibility last year posted a 25 disposal 3 goal game against a very strong gold coast side last week. In the same game King for GC had 7 disposals and 1 goal. Similarly previous swans academy players like Angus Baker and Jarrod Osborne are also dominating for Canberra Demons in the NEAFL.

Almost all these players had little exposure in Allies (which says plenty about the selectors (sheehan etc) lack of knowledge about Sydney kids) yet have risen to the top in NEAFL in a short space of time.

It makes me think how many good Sydney born players were missed over the years.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
Scary thing is after seeing how the Swans are going this year I am genuinely reading what you wrote about the top 3 midfielders in the draft and wondering which one the Swans might get. Won't get Green as he is going to GWS, but Rowell or Anderson sound promising.
It is great to see the northern academy kids getting some recognition through the revamped under 18 comp. In the past they have been somewhat overlooked. It might also be interesting to see that of last years Swans NDS (19 year olds) crop several are ripping it up at NEAFL level. Both Bailey Stewart and Josh Stern are dominating for Sydney Uni at NEAFL level with high stat numbers. Likewise swans cat B rookie sam wicks, who also had no visibility last year posted a 25 disposal 3 goal game against a very strong gold coast side last week. In the same game King for GC had 7 disposals and 1 goal. Similarly previous swans academy players like Angus Baker and Jarrod Osborne are also dominating for Canberra Demons in the NEAFL.

Almost all these players had little exposure in Allies (which says plenty about the selectors (sheehan etc) lack of knowledge about Sydney kids) yet have risen to the top in NEAFL in a short space of time.

And central coast and hunter and north coast etc etc.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls

I'm not sure I'd put the blame on selectors. Part of it is development. Seeing how much better a lot of these guys are this year, it's clear work has gone into them. It's particularly noticeable with the GWS overagers.

The other part with the selection is blending the position. You can load a team with just midfielders, or if you have more than you can use through there, some will have to play other positions.

So the Allies aren't easy to select for.

Blood red

Team Captain
Sep 12, 2018
AFL Club
Sydney
I'm not sure I'd put the blame on selectors. Part of it is development. Seeing how much better a lot of these guys are this year, it's clear work has gone into them. It's particularly noticeable with the GWS overagers.

The other part with the selection is blending the position. You can load a team with just midfielders, or if you have more than you can use through there, some will have to play other positions.

So the Allies aren't easy to select for.
Allies selectors should be a panel that are representative of the States/Academies that see players every game, rather than a snippet in time that may inflate or deflate depending on the circumstances.
Choosing the All Australian team based only on the last round would mean that Dusty would NOT have been seen, and Buddy would have been overlooked because he had a shocker.
TAC League is the same.

Ralphyboy

All Australian
May 25, 2016
AFL Club
Sydney
Allies selectors should be a panel that are representative of the States/Academies that see players every game, rather than a snippet in time that may inflate or deflate depending on the circumstances.
Choosing the All Australian team based only on the last round would mean that Dusty would NOT have been seen, and Buddy would have been overlooked because he had a shocker.
TAC League is the same.
I agree. I don't think there has been a sydney based person on the selection panel for a number of years. The number of sydney based players in the allies has been a source of controversy for a number of years. So yes i do think it has been a selector issue.
And having 3-4 melbourne based AFL clubs having input into who they want to see in allies is also a joke.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Why did Gaffs parents send him to Casey ??

Carey?

Mystery to me with Daniel Jackson at that time the only to my knowledge established footballer to come out of the school.

Might have received a sporting/football scholarship?

My best guess given pre Oakleigh he played for Kew comets it was the most local. Though in the immediate area there is still choices with Xavier close by and traditionally a better developer of AFL talent and certainly at that time with a lot coming out of Xavier. Parents preferred co-ed?

Can't say I'm in the know.

Nov 2, 2014
AFL Club
Tasmania
Other Teams
#TeamTurboChooks
Is next year all that much better though? Watching the underagers involved on the weekend I found myself relatively disappointed on the weekend.
Thoughts on Tassie's bottom agers KM? ^^

Davis, Callow, Walker, and especially Sam Collins look pretty strong for next year :rainbow::rainbow: Unless I curse them by talking them up too much :sob::praying:

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Thoughts on Tassie's bottom agers KM? ^^

Davis, Callow, Walker, and especially Sam Collins look pretty strong for next year :rainbow::rainbow: Unless I curse them by talking them up too much :sob::praying:

Collins is the good one. He looks like a first rounder next year. That first game I saw of his was exceptional. The others still have more to prove but by years end may have won me over. Still plenty of time as they're another year away.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Is the Jay Rantall you mention in your article another basketballer?

Yep.

And he's a natural footballer. Wins it inside. Has that evasion. He can be an early pick if he continues improving.

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
any relation to John ..?

Not that I'm aware but happy to be corrected.

Looking at who to keep an eye on during the championships. Seems a weak year for talls.

Who are the classy, outside mid types this year? Anyone with pace like Petrucelli?

Weak draft for KPPs. Those of KPP size or near KPP size project to be among this year's high end midfielders.

If you want someone with Petruccelle pace and line-breaking capabilities. Lachlan Potter is your guy.

His start to the season hasn't been as impressive as I had hoped but there is no one who breaks the lines like he can in this draft crop.

Classy outside types. Mitch O'Neil (I favour on the outside), Lachlan Ash, Jeremy Sharp. There are plenty of them.

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not that I'm aware but happy to be corrected.

Weak draft for KPPs. Those of KPP size or near KPP size project to be among this year's high end midfielders.

If you want someone with Petruccelle pace and line-breaking capabilities. Lachlan Potter is your guy.

His start to the season hasn't been as impressive as I had hoped but there is no one who breaks the lines like he can in this draft crop.

Classy outside types. Mitch O'Neil (I favour on the outside), Lachlan Ash, Jeremy Sharp. There are plenty of them.

Thanks for that. Always enjoy your write ups.

KPPs and rucks tend to establish their draft credentials later than the midfielders, do you that is a factor or are they really not as solid as previous years?

Jeka, Jackson and Dean look the pick of the bunch, do you see them being top 10-15 or more 15-40?

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
Thanks for that. Always enjoy your write ups.

KPPs and rucks tend to establish their draft credentials later than the midfielders, do you that is a factor or are they really not as solid as previous years?

Jeka, Jackson and Dean look the pick of the bunch, do you see them being top 10-15 or more 15-40?

I'd be surprised other than perhaps Jackson who has his fans if any of them went top 15.

Dean I see 15-40.

If the draft was tomorrow Jeka isn't someone I would draft personally though with the scarcity of KPPs he is a good chance still.

It's a draft that will be about the top 5 particularly. And the top 10 is good too. But the quality dips sooner than is normal and the quality of genuine KPPs isn't there.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
I'd be surprised other than perhaps Jackson who has his fans if any of them went top 15.

Dean I see 15-40.

If the draft was tomorrow Jeka isn't someone I would draft personally though with the scarcity of KPPs he is a good chance still.

It's a draft that will be about the top 5 particularly. And the top 10 is good too. But the quality dips sooner than is normal and the quality of genuine KPPs isn't there.

WAs this perceived lack of KPP something that was forecast at u16 level? It would seem a very barren year if the phantoms are correct. Is the kid you mention Elijah Hollands a standout but too young to be drafted ?

I wonder if the KPP are so poor this year , will clubs look at the overlooked from previous years ? Or perhaps looking more at player missing chances on lists?...

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
WAs this perceived lack of KPP something that was forecast at u16 level? It would seem a very barren year if the phantoms are correct. Is the kid you mention Elijah Hollands a standout but too young to be drafted ?

I wonder if the KPP are so poor this year , will clubs look at the overlooked from previous years ? Or perhaps looking more at player missing chances on lists?...

Hollands probably not quite a KPP at 188cm at the moment.

It's a bit like Anderson/D.Williams/Kemp/Flanders. He's probably more a medium who can go forward and do damage.

And you can still use that ultimately, but you just go in with less traditional and more versatile front halves.

Dec 10, 2003
Newtown
AFL Club
Geelong
Hollands probably not quite a KPP at 188cm at the moment.

It's a bit like Anderson/D.Williams/Kemp/Flanders. He's probably more a medium who can go forward and do damage.

And you can still use that ultimately, but you just go in with less traditional and more versatile front halves.

still time for a growth spurt..

Sep 22, 2010
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Chicago Bulls
still time for a growth spurt..

It's one to wait a year on and track his growth.

Hey Knightmare, what's the knock on Emerson Jeka? Played interleague with him a few years ago and he was an absolute jet. Also remember he was rated by Future Stars as the #2 in this draft class. What happened?

I don't know what goes into Future Stars' ratings but I didn't like the play of Jeka last year in each of my viewings and again this year I haven't found myself excited. And for balance, there are lots of fans of his who still rate him but I just don't.

He's tall but he hasn't done anything. Averages less than a goal a game. Not always clean below his knees. Inconsistent overhead. Doesn't find or win enough of it.

From my perspective he has a lot of work to do before I'd consider placing him on my draft board.

He's very much someone even if I need a KPP who I'm going to let someone else draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back