Hawthorn’s 2019 Trade/FA - Targets/Incoming players discussion only

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
WTF Zak Jones? Wouldn’t even get a game for us.. leave him to be a ‘big fish’ for spud club like St.Kilda or North
You’re kidding.

He might be a mouthy *******, but he’s got just the sort of mongrel that Clarkson knows we lack amongst our side currently.

Not only that he can play multiple positions and wound free up Hardwick/Impey to play elsewhere when needed.

Going for Jones is just about the most obvious Clarkson trade-play that you could think of and for those saying “he can’t hit the side of a barn” his disp eff over the last 3 seasons has gone from 73% to 76% to 79% in 2018.
Impey ran at 70% in 2018, so take that into consideration.

You’re kidding.

He might be a mouthy *******, but he’s got just the sort of mongrel that Clarkson knows we lack amongst our side currently.

Not only that he can play multiple positions and wound free up Hardwick/Impey to play elsewhere when needed.

Going for Jones is just about the most obvious Clarkson trade-play that you could think of and for those saying “he can’t hit the side of a barn” his disp eff over the last 3 seasons has gone from 73% to 76% to 79% in 2018.
I’m with you. Rate the kid. Takes the game on too. Which Clarko loves.

You’re kidding.

Not feeling it at all with Jones. He’s not a bad player and would be handy to have but for me he just doesn’t do anything that Impey/Hardwick/Scully and others do and won’t be the type of player to put us over the top.

If we are paying free agency money unless we are filling a direct need (ie key forward or defender) we need to go for playmakers with some genuine game changing ability and x-factor..

We are a great club - we have the best coaches, medical staff, facilities and club culture in football and we can command the most elite talent.

I just feel like paying decent money for Jones is a vanilla acquisition - more suitable to an average club like Norf or Saints that can’t get anyone else..

Last edited:
Not feeling it at all with Jones. He’s not a bad player and would be handy to have but for me he just doesn’t do anything that Impey/Hardwick/Scully and others do and won’t be the type of player to put us over the top.
If we are paying free agency money unless we are filling a direct need (ie key forward or defender) we need to go for playmakers with some genuine game changing ability and x-factor..

We are a great club - we have the best coaches, medical staff, facilities and club culture in football and we can command the most elite talent.

I just feel like paying decent money for Jones is a vanilla acquisition - more suitable to an average club like Norf or Saints that can’t get anyone else..

For f... sake. If, repeat IF !!! we trade successfully for someone like Jones, HE WILL NOT BE THE ONLY ACQUISITION TO THE LIST. He will not be “THE MAIN MAN”.
Our List needs vast improvement. At least 6-7 when you also account for upcoming retirements....Numerous role players, needed acquisitions to manipulate a List capable of going on to the next premiership by the target year 21/22 .IT IS CALLED DEPTH. We may recruit a player or two to release existing List members to play another role or help replace an eminent retiring player.
As someone else has already noted above, we have ALWAYS recruited other players when we have recruited players who have gone onto be topliners.
Clarkson is all about role players and depth of role players. He has proven this recipe.
I hope (assume) we have multiple targets, plans A, B, C ......and appropriate robust List building strategies.
Not just focused on one big name acquisition.
It is the TOTALITY of the strategy you should be concerned about.

Last edited:
Who would be also surprised to learn GWS has consistently dangled the captaincy in front of S.Coniglio for months. Who lost one of their joint captains to a long term injury last week. Which strings do you think are being pulled at the moment !!!!!
Leaving GWS at the moment would be completely abhorrent to S.Coniglio’s very being.

For f... sake. If, repeat IF !!! we trade successfully for someone like Jones, HE WILL NOT BE THE ONLY ACQUISITION TO THE LIST. He will not be “THE MAIN MAN”.
Our List needs vast improvement. At least 6-7 when you also account for upcoming retirements....Numerous role players, needed acquisitions to manipulate a List capable of going on to the next premiership by the target year 21/22 .IT IS CALLED DEPTH. We may recruit a player or two to release existing List members to play another role or help replace an eminent retiring player.
As someone else has already noted above, we have ALWAYS recruited other players when we have recruited players who have gone onto be topliners.
Clarkson is all about role players and depth of role players. He has proven this recipe.
I hope (assume) we have multiple targets, plans A, B, C ......and appropriate robust List building strategies.
Not just focused on one big name acquisition.
It is the TOTALITY of the strategy you should be concerned about.
I’m not saying I wouldn’t like Zak Jones on the list but I am assuming if we do get him we’d have to put forward a reasonable contract and trade assets to get him across and I don’t really think he serves a direct need for us when you look at the current state of the list.. you don’t just trade for depth for the sake of it..
In regards to our past recruiting under Clarko, If you look at some of the players we’ve picked from other clubs:
Gibson, Lake and Frawley- key defenders when we had none
Hale + McEvoy - ruck man when we needed them
Burgoyne - A grade versatile mid when we lacked class and polish on the outside
Henderson + Scully - wingers to replace the loss of Brad Hill
Wingard - X factor forward to replace Rioli
These recruits have all fulfilled a positional need on the list and been of high quality, they have justified the decision to chase them at the time. I just don’t see that with Zak Jones. Depth is great but I would honestly rather develop what we already have in that running defender/winger position. You can easily draft depth, you can’t always draft quality without early picks... that’s why you target quality in free agency/trade period
When looking at Jones I honestly don’t think he has moved the needle that consistently at Sydney and I don’t think he will here, especially not worth the risk if we offer him a long term deal on reasonable money..
I think our needs atm are key forward/defender and quality inside midfield depth and they should be the absolute priority. We don’t need to waste salary cap + trade capitol on that type of player.

Last edited:
Who would be also surprised to learn GWS has consistently dangled the captaincy in front of S.Coniglio for months. Who lost one of their joint captains to a long term injury last week. Which strings do you think are being pulled at the moment !!!!!
Leaving GWS at the moment would be completely abhorrent to S.Coniglio’s very being.

I think he’s wise enough to separate his own personal decision (free agency) from the sad injury to Ward. s**t yeah GWS will be pulling at his heartstrings to get him to stay and why wouldn’t you and leave no stone unturned.

My personal opinion is that he might’ve already made his decision to go and he’ll put his head down and play out the rest of season like the avid professional he is. GWS might even know he’s gone too but the reality is everything has to move forward and there’s a season to be played and they like 3-4 others teams have a good crack at winning a premiership.

Since Carlton showed interest they have picked up Dow, Walsh, Stocker and Setterfield. The only link is Will Brodie's uncle is their national selector.

On iPad using BigFooty.com mobile app
Not a GWS player so they wont be interested. He's one player that caught my eye at the end of last year I was calling out for a rising star nomination not sure how he didnt get one in the end.

I’m not saying I wouldn’t like Zak Jones on the list but I am assuming if we do get him we’d have to put forward a reasonable contract and trade assets to get him across and I don’t really think he serves a direct need for us when you look at the current state of the list.. you don’t just trade for depth for the sake of it..
In regards to our past recruiting under Clarko, If you look at some of the players we’ve picked from other clubs:
Gibson, Lake and Frawley- key defenders when we had none
Hale + McEvoy - ruck man when we needed them
Burgoyne - A grade versatile mid when we lacked class and polish on the outside
Henderson + Scully - wingers to replace the loss of Brad Hill
Wingard - X factor forward to replace Rioli
These recruits have all fulfilled a positional need on the list and been of high quality, they have justified the decision to chase them at the time. I just don’t see that with Zak Jones. Depth is great but I would honestly rather develop what we already have in that running defender/winger position. You can easily draft depth, you can’t always draft quality without early picks... that’s why you target quality in free agency/trade period
When looking at Jones I honestly don’t think he has moved the needle that consistently at Sydney and I don’t think he will here, especially not worth the risk if we offer him a long term deal on reasonable money..
I think our needs atm are key forward/defender and quality inside midfield depth and they should be the absolute priority. We don’t need to waste salary cap + trade capitol on that type of player.
I agree let's assume we land Cogs we have enough elite midfield talent to start filling in the gaps with role players and though Zac would be nice I don't seem him as that genuine A class player, we need that KPF badly I hopeful Lewis can come on and produce the same form he's shown in the VFL, seems to have a much better tank this year getting up the ground even late in game, if we can land Patton cheaply him and Lewis could make a very good one two, not so much worried about a KPD since you can play a team defense a lot easier than you can increase score potency.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So...
Will Brodie - ✔️ easy acquisition to add depth & youth who should also have a big upside

Zak Jones - 🤢 can’t stand the guy as he stands out like a sore thumb in a Swans jumper but you watch the cult status explode in brown & gold.

Jonothan Patton - ✔️ #

I’ll take that as a win in the trade season every day of the week

If only we could build some type of campaign around him being our actual trade-objective? Almost as if we were targeting him...:think:

Any ideas PhatHQ ?;)

Haha. I wonder!

Seriously though, he is a gun & should be targeted if he is getable.
He’ll be a top 5 player in the comp in 2 years.

Desperate times...

So...
Will Brodie - ️ easy acquisition to add depth & youth who should also have a big upside

Zak Jones - 🤢 can’t stand the guy as he stands out like a sore thumb in a Swans jumper but you watch the cult status explode in brown & gold.

Jonothan Patton - ️ #

I’ll take that as a win in the trade season every day of the week

I’m a big fan of Will Brodie, there is a suggestion on the Suns Board there has been a falling out, thread has now been locked. Anyone got any detail on this?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m a big fan of Will Brodie, there is a suggestion on the Suns Board there has been a falling out, thread has now been locked. Anyone got any detail on this?

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The kid obviously just wants to come back to VIC and more than likely requested a trade which didn’t go down too well. I guess you have to also look at things from the clubs point of view because they made a huge investment drafting him and thought they could’ve settled him by now. He got picked in the 1s this week so it can’t be all that bad unless they Suns are trying to showcase him so his value goes up.

Concern on Zak jones is he can’t kick - but otherwise seems a bit like impey - fast, hard body, aggressive. He’d get a game in our 22 and clearly better than our other depth in miles, glass etc.

Where do we find some talls? Other than Patton not much rumoured? Would we have another look at Finlayson? (Although price likely gone up a lot).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back