Prediction Changes v GCs

What hilarious changes will we make this week?

• Out: RO'B, In: Jacobs

Votes: 36 35.0%
  • Out: CE-Y

Votes: 50 48.5%
  • Out: Jenkins

Votes: 61 59.2%
  • Out: Kelly

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • Out: Murphy

Votes: 71 68.9%
  • In: Stengle

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • In: Himmelberg

Votes: 31 30.1%
  • In: The FOG

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • Out: Mackay

Votes: 26 25.2%
  • In: Gibbs

Votes: 66 64.1%
  • In: Wilson

Votes: 9 8.7%
  • In: Greenwood

Votes: 87 84.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Please don't tell me we have dropped JJ for Otten. One step forward...
Unlikely. Can only be Himmelberg if Jenkins dropped. Don't think Jenkins will be dropped and the only change we will see will be Gibbs for Jones and Greenwood for Poholke.

Would go with:
Laird Talia Sholl
Smith Keath Gibbs
Atkins Sloane Jones(If fit, unlikely)
Davis Walker Knight
Betts Himmelberg Stengle

ROB BCrouch Milera

Greenwood MCrouch Gallucci Fogarty

Out: Jenkins, Murphy, Mackay, Hartigan, Kelly, Lynch, Cey, Poholke
In: Himmelberg, Davis, Greenwood, Gibbs, Gallucci, Sholl, Stengle, Fogarty

Last edited:

Unlikely. Feel Himmelberg or Fogarty if Jenkins dropped. I'm no Otten fan but they might bring him in for Hartigan who has been putrid. The other option is that Fog replaces Hartigan and Sholl replaces Kelly while Himmelberg replaces Jenkins. Makes sense as then Himmelberg can do some ruckwork in the forward half as well.

Would go with:
Laird Talia Sholl
Smith Keath Gibbs
Davis Walker Knight
Betts Fogarty/Himmelberg Stengle

ROB BCrouch Milera

Greenwood MCrouch Gallucci Hamill
Fogarty isn’t in the squad, he’s not coming in

Just a thought, Cey was a defender in his early days before big bodied midfielders became vogue. Can we slot CEY in defense and drop Kelly. gives us somebody who can use the ball plus wont be pushed off the contest like Dmac and Gibbs.

He’s generally been pretty neat with his disposal as far as my memory serves.
His marking efforts disappoint me the most... spills the ball and juggles attempts. I also think he struggles to read the game and has one gear. Having said I bet he would be better than hardigan in the backlines. Throw Tex I've got a golden ticket down there also ...

Cornes seems to be running with Jenkins dropped on Sen. Want to see 4 changes tonight. Would like more but it's afc. Looks like Gibbs, Greenwood, Himmelberg and Gallucci in. Jenkins, Poholke, Cey, Jones inj out

Cornes seems to be running with Jenkins dropped on Sen. Want to see 4 changes tonight. Would like more but it's afc. Looks like Gibbs, Greenwood, Himmelberg and Gallucci in. Jenkins, Poholke, Cey, Jones inj out
Makes us a better side already IMO. Jones unlucky but I wouldnt risk him off a concussion.

We have Brown and Seeds back in the next 2-3 weeks to replace DMac and Kelly, and finally ROB gets a sustained run at it.

It's not just JJ
While my post was about JJ in response to that radio interview, I did not mean to suggest that our woes were only about him. His underperforming aligns with several other players who are well below their best eg Brad Crouch (5) has kicked more goals than JJ (4) and Walker (3)! So far, we've kicked the least number of goals in the Comp. In 2017 it was up around the most. Smithers is back, Brouch is back, our pre-season was touted as one of our best, so there's something seriously wrong with how they're playing. Yes, not just JJ, who is only a part of it.
We find ways to keep under-performing long-termers in the 22. Be it continuity, experience, running patterns or any other bullshit reason. Our selection culture actively chooses to go with a lesser side to keep long term players in the 22 regardless of form or what is best for the club.
I agree strongly. Pyke defers to the Board weakly with respect to
--- assistant coaches, and I cannot understand for the life of me why he has allowed Campo, Burton, Hass to stay as well as Hart's appointment as forward coach. When Betts retires, they'll probably beg him to stay with the Club as Ruck (or hanger) coach ;) (which makes as much sense as Hart).
--- selection/retention of underperforming long-termers, as you said.
The tragedy is that after Pyke is discarded --- watch this space, coming soon if we get rolled at home by the GCS --- the new coach will be selected according to how well he fits the Club's mould.
Again.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While my post was about JJ in response to that radio interview, I did not mean to suggest that our woes were only about him. His underperforming aligns with several other players who are well below their best eg Brad Crouch (5) has kicked more goals than JJ (4) and Walker (3)! So far, we've kicked the least number of goals in the Comp. In 2017 it was up around the most. Smithers is back, Brouch is back, our pre-season was touted as one of our best, so there's something seriously wrong with how they're playing. Yes, not just JJ, who is only a part of it.

I agree strongly. Pyke defers to the Board weakly with respect to
--- assistant coaches, and I cannot understand for the life of me why he has allowed Campo, Burton, Hass to stay as well as Hart's appointment as forward coach. When Betts retires, they'll probably beg him to stay with the Club as Ruck (or hanger) coach ;) (which makes as much sense as Hart).
--- selection/retention of underperforming long-termers, as you said.
The tragedy is that after Pyke is discarded --- watch this space, coming soon if we get rolled at home by the GCS --- the new coach will be selected according to how well he fits the Club's mould.
Again.
100%

Its how we roll, I mean even Walsh for how different he thought and how he rolled, still had those guys around. Eddie will be back in Melbourne when he finishes up so I doubt we will see him as a coach here.

Sounds like the changes have come this week with another "big name" out of the side.

Unlikely. Can only be Himmelberg if Jenkins dropped. Don't think Jenkins will be dropped and the only change we will see will be Gibbs for Jones and Greenwood for Poholke.

Would go with:
Laird Talia Sholl
Smith Keath Gibbs
Davis Walker Knight
Betts Himmelberg Stengle

ROB BCrouch Milera

Greenwood MCrouch Gallucci Fogarty

Out: Jenkins, Murphy, Mackay, Hartigan, Kelly, Lynch, Cey, Poholke
In: Himmelberg, Davis, Greenwood, Gibbs, Gallucci, Sholl, Stengle, Fogarty
Tom Lynch out...wow!
You're obviously not a fan

CEY is almost definitely playing based on being named on the field I would suggest. Murphy is far more likely to be dropped than CEY - in fact, I think he’ll be the first player dropped this week after his woeful game against North. I wouldn’t be surprised if Poholke retains his spot (I have no idea why because he’s absolutely terrible, but I just figure we’re less likely to drop a guy after only one game), but that could go either way. My prediction...

In: Himmelberg, Gibbs, Greenwood
Out: Jenkins, Jones, Murphy

If we do pull the trigger on a 4th change (would be very unlike the Don to do this, but he did drop Gibbs and now apparently Jenkins so maybe there’s a shift happening), it’ll be Poholke making way for Gallucci.

FWIW - the 3 changes actually make us even slower and more unbalanced than last week (apparently that’s possible) so I would absolutely prefer to drop CEY for Gallucci to inject a bit of speed into the side.

Who knows though, maybe Jones is retained, which would open the door for CEY to be dumped. Maybe we don’t bring Gibbs straight back? Anything can and probably will happen.

CEY is almost definitely playing based on being named on the field I would suggest. Murphy is far more likely to be dropped than CEY - in fact, I think he’ll be the first player dropped this week after his woeful game against North. I wouldn’t be surprised if Poholke retains his spot (I have no idea why because he’s absolutely terrible, but I just figure we’re less likely to drop a guy after only one game), but that could go either way. My prediction...

In: Himmelberg, Gibbs, Greenwood
Out: Jenkins, Jones, Murphy

If we do pull the trigger on a 4th change (would be very unlike the Don to do this, but he did drop Gibbs and now apparently Jenkins so maybe there’s a shift happening), it’ll be Poholke making way for Gallucci.

FWIW - the 3 changes actually make us even slower and more unbalanced than last week (apparently that’s possible) so I would absolutely prefer to drop CEY for Gallucci to inject a bit of speed into the side.

Who knows though, maybe Jones is retained, which would open the door for CEY to be dumped. Maybe we don’t bring Gibbs straight back? Anything can and probably will happen.
Poholke terrible..... ok.

His marking efforts disappoint me the most... spills the ball and juggles attempts. I also think he struggles to read the game and has one gear. Having said I bet he would be better than hardigan in the backlines. Throw Tex I've got a golden ticket down there also ...
You can add lack of defensive pressure and slower than some glaciers I've seen to CEY. Other than that, he's pretty solid!

Hartigan is much better defensive option than CEY - he's relatively quick (on the Talia scale) and can defend 1 on 1.

If we can't find a spot for CEY, it's because he's not good enough IMO.

CEY, Mat, Sloane, Polholke Greenwood all in the one team...I hope we are playing at TTG oval in mid July

He’s yet to show any AFL quality attributes whatsoever. I’m sure he looks just fine at SANFL level but he’s very much on the delist pile at the end of this year unless something drastically changes.
He is a midfielder, last week we almost exclusively played him at Half Forward.... no wonder why he struggled.

I don't mind tbis. Stengle should be in 'on merit' anyway.

On a separate note, has anyone noticed how our players almost always miss a game with concussion whereas Port's almost never do.

Are we using the same concussion protocols?
We are rightly more conservative.

Back