Roast IF it isn't biased or ncompetent..... THEN it must be inciteful media coverage part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to ask this question from time to time, but who the hell buys newspapers nowadays?
Going with the non-rhetorical-question interpretation of your post, quite a few cafes seem to buy them. That seems to be the main place I encounter physical copies in the wild. The other place is on airplanes.
Not sure that's enough demand to sustain their existence. Sadly, fewer pages doesn't seem to be related to quality > quantity either. Journalism is dying.

Well they created an article which you clicked and read. Therefore, they know this is what people want.

Suggest next time, don’t read it. Title was enough to show what it was about.
The point of my post was to comment on the fact that the job of journalists is to report the news not create it. Leave that to opinion writers. And beside all that, isn't the point of this thread to call out crap journalism and reporting?

Last edited:
Insightful and biased so I've put it in both.

The good from Dermie's article in today's HS.

Dermott Brereton: Eagle Jeremy McGovern is more valuable than Danger, Fyfe, Dusty and Buddy
Others are better regarded as pure footballers, but if we take into account the way the game is tracking, McGovern is the most valuable player in the AFL. He’s the new No.1.

He intercept marks like few before him.

In general play, he stalks the line of the players further upfield and normally takes an intercept mark that should go down in the stats’ as a contested mark, but the others don’t read the flight well enough, so McGovern marks the ball without contact.

To watch him in isolation is extraordinary.

He pays zero regard for his direct opponent. They end up trailing him into the marking contest that their teammate has kicked the ball to.

He reads the opposition player’s eye-line further up the field as well as their body front, knowing where those kicks are going to land.

And the bad.

At the other end, the Eagles have the best key forward combination in the comp — Jack Darling and Josh Kennedy. But it is their hybrid forward Liam Ryan who has me spellbound and confused.

I cannot decide whether I love watching him play or despise it.

On one hand, he can take a screamer. Against Collingwood this season he launched on the goal line, tapped the ball back into Darling from a certain rushed behind situation and the play results in a goal.

In the Grand Final he took a fantastic contested mark and delivered the ball to Dom Sheed for the winning goal.

Kennedy and Jack Darling form the most dynamic one-two forward line punch in the AFL. Picture: Getty Images
On other occasion’s when the ball is on the ground and in dispute, he will deliberately run himself off the line of the footy for fear of contact.

He can cower away from laying a heavy tackle.

These are issues that the Eagles must rankle with. They obviously believe his football exploits as a craft outweigh his lack of physical effort when the chips are stacked against him.

In last year’s Grand Final, Magpie Brayden Maynard stood under the drop of the ball in the middle of the MCG.

Ryan put the crosshairs on him and poleaxed him while Maynard was wide open and completely vulnerable.

But in the third quarter, Ryan was tested with a ball that was over his head but reachable. Running back Ryan was almost as vulnerable as Maynard had been earlier.

Except this time when it was Ryan’s time to go, he didn’t. He opted for self preservation over a sacrifice.

If you consistently evade physical contact and you are non-competitive when the contest is in dispute and you are vulnerable, you eventually will lose your place in the team.

Still only 22 years of age, he has a lot to learn.

His footballing wizardry is wonderful, especially while the team is winning.

But the coaching box and selection committee will be tested if the team loses as many as they win.

Insightful and biased so I've put it in both.

And the bad.

At the other end, the Eagles have the best key forward combination in the comp — Jack Darling and Josh Kennedy. But it is their hybrid forward Liam Ryan who has me spellbound and confused.

I cannot decide whether I love watching him play or despise it.

On one hand, he can take a screamer. Against Collingwood this season he launched on the goal line, tapped the ball back into Darling from a certain rushed behind situation and the play results in a goal.

In the Grand Final he took a fantastic contested mark and delivered the ball to Dom Sheed for the winning goal.

Kennedy and Jack Darling form the most dynamic one-two forward line punch in the AFL. Picture: Getty Images
On other occasion’s when the ball is on the ground and in dispute, he will deliberately run himself off the line of the footy for fear of contact.

He can cower away from laying a heavy tackle.

These are issues that the Eagles must rankle with. They obviously believe his football exploits as a craft outweigh his lack of physical effort when the chips are stacked against him.

In last year’s Grand Final, Magpie Brayden Maynard stood under the drop of the ball in the middle of the MCG.

Ryan put the crosshairs on him and poleaxed him while Maynard was wide open and completely vulnerable.

But in the third quarter, Ryan was tested with a ball that was over his head but reachable. Running back Ryan was almost as vulnerable as Maynard had been earlier.

Except this time when it was Ryan’s time to go, he didn’t. He opted for self preservation over a sacrifice.

If you consistently evade physical contact and you are non-competitive when the contest is in dispute and you are vulnerable, you eventually will lose your place in the team.

Still only 22 years of age, he has a lot to learn.

His footballing wizardry is wonderful, especially while the team is winning.

But the coaching box and selection committee will be tested if the team loses as many as they win.

Very harsh on a young fella who hasn't even played a year of footy as yet.
Apart from the GF "pull out", I can't ever remember him shirking it before.

Dermie should stick to being shirtless on his GOT show methinks.

So which is it Dermie? He either poleaxed someone which means he has no issue with contact or he doesn’t like contact and avoids it entirely.. :rolleyes:
I agree with Brereton's assessment on Ryan completely. It is exactly how Ryan plays. Whether we want him going back with the flight and getting cleaned up is another thing entirely. Not much good to the team if he is on the bench injured.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

One of the comments called the paper the "worst australian " . Boom Right back at them

Adshead is one of the best political reporters out there. He has been partly replaced by Lanai Scarr, a News Corp product that worked at The Australian for years, just in time for the election. What a surprise.

The new editor of the West used to be deputy editor at the Daily Telegraph too, notorious for its outrageous bias in its reporting.

Expect lots of attacks on Labor in the next month.

Looking at his saggy and flabby body put me off my dinner. Someone should have told him no..

Reminded me of Zoidberg when he's out of his shell

Adshead is one of the best political reporters out there. He has been partly replaced by Lanai Scarr, a News Corp product that worked at The Australian for years, just in time for the election. What a surprise.

The new editor of the West used to be deputy editor at the Daily Telegraph too, notorious for its outrageous bias in its reporting.

Expect lots of attacks on Labor in the next month.
Didn’t think it could get any worse, but...

Watched a show on Kayo the other day called Bob .
Bob interviewed Nat Fyfe . Straight away it confirmed to me he (Fyfe has no people skills ) or at least he has to painfully learn them . I enjoyed watching it and even laughed most of the way through it . Spoiler alert . Fyfe mentions he tried as a Captain if you dont give %100 your family will die . And how Fyfe struggles with how to save the world as a football player . Anyway i personally enjoyed it and I probably hate Fyfe a tiny bit less .

Lol, watching the North v Essendon game (where they are raising money for the kids hospital) and BT says as they go to the break, I'm sure your family have used the children's hospital and if they haven't I'm sure they will in the future. Lol wtf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back