Game Day Around The Grounds Rounds 1 - 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Carlton could learn a lot from watching collingwood setup and enter the forward 50.

With all due respect, it took the Pies and their semi-rebuild/list reset a few years to get used to Buckley's game after the clean our of the rat pack, plus they already has a few elite ball users/Kicks on their books in Sidebottom and Pendlebury.

I doubt the great Ron Swanson could honestly manage to get our players to have more effective forward entries every week, without running the risk of having a cricket score racked up against us, especially as the better teams in the comp

It's frustrating, but this is also an important eductional phrase of our kids development (Lachie O'brien I feel will be a beautiful kick, and I am rather annoyed seeing him copping some roasting here lately)

Results don't show yet on the scoreboard, but we are going forwards and developing as a team, it's all about taking somewhat lateral view for long term payoff.

Back on topic, North v Essendon tomorrow. YUCK, can't both teams lose ?
Might be Netflix and Chill time for me, instead of putting myself to watch that rubbish at Marvel ??

A few weeks, or even a week is a long time in footy. People raving about the Lions rebuild after 3 rounds in. Another couple of bad losses and watch the media turn. Similarly, a few good wins for us and watch people start to rave.

All in all, I feel we have been consistent so far this year with no blowouts. If we can keep up the competitiveness and build throughout the year then I will be happy. A few wins would be good too ;)

Zorko is such a front runner

Lions bombing the ball into forward 50, sounds familiar. Back to earth with a thud

Pies have been very clean

How quickly things can turn in footy.

Brisbane 3-0 and all the rage, some comparisons made with us, now been thrashed two weeks in a row.
And they have had barely any injuries to best 22 players, unlike us.

Watching the Lions tonight, particularly from halfway through the 2nd quarter, you could have sworn it was us playing. Cheap little kicks in defence, bombing the ball to 2/3 on 1 contests in the forward line. Given some of our supporters have decreed we do this because we don't have a game plan (or it is too complicated), one wonders why the Lions were doing it. Could it be because when the heat gets turned up teams with younger lists are prone to go into panic mode?

Watching the Lions tonight, particularly from halfway through the 2nd quarter, you could have sworn it was us playing. Cheap little kicks in defence, bombing the ball to 2/3 on 1 contests in the forward line. Given some of our supporters have decreed we do this because we don't have a game plan (or it is too complicated), one wonders why the Lions were doing it. Could it be because when the heat gets turned up teams with younger lists are prone to go into panic mode?

Yes - or more likely, exactly like Carlton - the tactics of the first quarter are quickly worked out and nullified.

Either way - and no two ways about this - its poor coaching. If the players are resorting to little dinky kicks and bombs to 2 on 3 inside 50 - its 100% poor coaching. 4 years to get that out of them.

If its the game plan being worked inside the first quarter and no response - coaching.

Collingwood had players all over the park on their own - especially going inside 50 towards the end. The reason being was directives from the coaches box - or the players simply giving up (and if thats the case then the coach is in even more trouble - so no).

Collinwood are one of the best drilled sides in the comp and are my pick for flag - Buckley I feel is the best coach in the comp. And it shows - even when he was at the depth of his rebuild they played well and you could see the game plan, the tactics, the direction.

Brisbane won against two deplorables - North and Port - win against Weagles was good but got them on the hop away from home.

Fact is - Carlton are getting exposed. We have played poor teams, srtuggling teams and losing.

Wait till we start hitting some teams with form - Collinwood right now would beat us by close to a hundred points.

I have been an ardent support of Bolton - have given him every single benefit of the doubt, especially last year. However my position was the same as that stated by the club, and agreed with by himself at the end of last year - we need to lift.

He no longer gets a free ride. He needs to lift - and he has THIS SEASON to do it. Without a serious run of injuries, and similar results to last year - he is finished.

The spotlight and pressure is on him - he has this season to deliver a performance significantly better than last year.

Lets hope for Carlton and his own sakes that he can do it - spotlight, pressure is on full, number 11.

Hope he can deliver - I really like the guy a lot, think he does great things, is smart, very well considered and it would please me no end to see him succeed - but succeed he must, and this year is the test.

I think you have hit the nail on the head there mediumsizered.......Its a bit like what we call shell shock..a good team forces a young group off its lines a few times and they don't quite have the wherewithall to cope. The good thing is our players have made great strides in this area to the point they can fight back and reorganise. It doesnt matter what the coaches have said pre-game or pre-quarter..when the push comes something gives and the only way through that is by experiencing it.

Yes - or more likely, exactly like Carlton - the tactics of the first quarter are quickly worked out and nullified.
this - and it's been happening far longer than bolton - opposition coaches just know they can derail us with a move or a tinker or a change of direction

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And what s**t teams we gotta put up with tonight !!! Hopefully one of them get an almighty thumping..
I'm looking at you norf..
Edit..
Didn't realise WC were playing tonight..
That'll do me ...
What Stig said..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back