Unofficial Preview Changes for the Q clash

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did we get it wrong if you are calling for him to be dropped?
Salary cap management has been an issue for us.
No doubt Lyons has his positive attributes but I don't think we wanted to pay his required price to keep him when we had similar product in Anthony Miles at a much cheaper price.
No I don't think we got it wrong i just think he is going through a little lean patch, probably after the hype of a new club and new season he has been a bit distracted after the wins and just has to get back to the hard work. I'm mt sure Miles would have been cheaper, Lyons was under contract at the Suns when they let him come to us, there was some backroom deal, possibly the suns still paying part of this year.

No I don't think we got it wrong i just think he is going through a little lean patch, probably after the hype of a new club and new season he has been a bit distracted after the wins and just has to get back to the hard work. I'm mt sure Miles would have been cheaper, Lyons was under contract at the Suns when they let him come to us, there was some backroom deal, possibly the suns still paying part of this year.

I think the suns without giving specific numbers have been fairly clear that we didn't want to continue to pay him at his current / future cost for what he produced.

I think he gets underutilises as a mid sized forward. Think he's a decent mark overhead and actually pretty good goal sense - almost a Rockliff -lite forward. I think Adelaide explored that better than we did and think that can give him better versatility and actual use if he isn't finding it or playing particularly well in the midfield.

I need some advice as I have decided to fly up for the Q clash.

Do I fly into Brisbane or Coolangatta? If I fly into Brisbane how do I get down to the Gold Coast in time for the match? When should I arrive at what ever airport to ensure I can get to the match comfortably?

Do I contact the club for a ticket?

If I stay overnight, any suggestions?

Do I fly into Brisbane or Coolangatta? If I fly into Brisbane how do I get down to the Gold Coast in time for the match? When should I arrive at what ever airport to ensure I can get to the match comfortably?

Coolangatta airport is only about 35km from stadium.Uber or taxi to is probably the way to get there.Stay in Broadbeach.Good choices for overnight.

I really want to give Hodge a rest to see how the defence functions without him. Every week he gives up a goal or 2 either through a professional free because he is beaten, or he just can't keep up with the 90% of forwards that are now quicker than him. But with Andrews missing he probably needs to stay in.
I would have also dropped Lyons and kept Matho, personally I don't believe both can play in the same team as they both are lacking in speed, endurance and defence (though to be fair Matho has improved in all three this season). But with Matho out injured Lyons can stay and I think our mid balance will be better.
Outs : Andrews (inj), Matho (inj)
Ins, I haven't watched much NEAFL but I think Keays needs to be included to reward his form even though he isn't a like for like for Matho. Keays to play forward and the other smaller players to cover matho's mid time.
And maybe Cutler to provide more run on the wings/half back. McStay might need to go back depending on the tall balance we need, but I think bringing it the two smaller players will give us a better look across the ground as a whole.

Time for Ely Smith.

We cannot win against top teams with Lyons and Matheson in the team. Way too slow. And both of them just hack it out under pressure. Eli, in the ressies, has shown ball winning/disposal attributes better than either. And he has the run to help correct one of our big weaknesses.

Mitch Robbo is nearing the end, and I see Ely as his natural replacement - an upgrade even - with his attributes. And there is no disrespect for Mitch in that. Our top priority should be to continue building the team that will legitimately challenge for a flag. Neither Lyons nor Matho will be in that team.

Unleash the beast.

He looked good yesterday. Don't think he's ready yet because his kicking needs serious fixing.

Hopefully it's not a Sam Powell-Pepper thing where his kicking always prevents him from being an out and out gun

Hopefully it's not a Sam Powell-Pepper thing where his kicking always prevents him from being an out and out gun

His kicking isn't too bad but needs improvement. With that said, he reads the play really well and finds himself with a shot at goal nearly every game. That's a hard thing to teach (positioning/reading the play). I don't think he's ready to debut yet, but don't see him as SPP and thank God for that.

Wooller is an interesting prospect, played in the guts last week and up forward this week. Is doing everything right to get his debut. Something tells me Berry jr is closer to a debut though.

His kicking isn't too bad but needs improvement. With that said, he reads the play really well and finds himself with a shot at goal nearly every game. That's a hard thing to teach (positioning/reading the play). I don't think he's ready to debut yet, but don't see him as SPP and thank God for that.

Wooller is an interesting prospect, played in the guts last week and up forward this week. Is doing everything right to get his debut. Something tells me Berry jr is closer to a debut though.
Reckon we would be very happy if SPP was in our team...

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Time for Ely Smith.

We cannot win against top teams with Lyons and Matheson in the team. Way too slow. And both of them just hack it out under pressure. Eli, in the ressies, has shown ball winning/disposal attributes better than either. And he has the run to help correct one of our big weaknesses.

Mitch Robbo is nearing the end, and I see Ely as his natural replacement - an upgrade even - with his attributes. And there is no disrespect for Mitch in that. Our top priority should be to continue building the team that will legitimately challenge for a flag. Neither Lyons nor Matho will be in that team.

Unleash the beast.

Heard somewhere that Ely was the top rated inside player in the TAC cup

I've just bought my airline flight tickets to get to the Q clash next Saturday, flying into Coolangatta (thanks Marooned). Could I ask for some advice on seats? Want a good seat on the wing, under cover as I don't want to be looking into the sun or get drenched.

What can people suggest?

Speak to your travel agent.

I've just bought my airline flight tickets to get to the Q clash next Saturday, flying into Coolangatta (thanks Marooned). Could I ask for some advice on seats? Want a good seat on the wing, under cover as I don't want to be looking into the sun or get drenched.

What can people suggest?

The only thing I know is that the Lions membership team recommend the general entry area is near the big screen.

Only thing I can't agree with is dropping Gardiner for Eagles. I really don't see the point of Eagles and even dizzy at his current level would offer more than Eagles did in his senior games. I wasn't particularly impressed with him today either, got caught in possession a bit.

I feel like they may go with Basti/Squizzy over Tom Berry but I would like to see him get a run at some point soon too.

Otherwise changes seem reasonable.
I’m not dropping Gardiner for Eagles.

Eagles is coming in to replace Andrews.

I’m dropping Gardiner he needs to get his body right, and because we don’t need three talls against Gold Coast.

What can people suggest?

Some buffoonery...Best to upgrade your ticket to inside the plane...

I’m dropping Gardiner he needs to get his body right, and because we don’t need three talls against Gold Coast.

Dr. Briztoon

Most people think Gardiner is more suited to smalls.

Bastinac needs to be recalled and give Cutler and Keays a go, as for the others they are just going to have to lift their game, there are no replacements for the likes of McStay and Rayner, these guys just need to work harder.

Fine re point on the body if he needs to do that. But the idea that eagles is a better matchup for gold coast’s smaller forward line is weird to me. Walker is the obvious option for 2MP then after that there is no need for eagles.

I just don’t think dizzy has been as bad as you think he has been but that is a difference of opinion.

I’d be stunned if he was dropped given all the others under the gun anyway - we aren’t going to make more than 4-5 changes and switch out half the backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back