Who are our best and worst flow players?

Remove this Banner Ad

Kappa

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 7, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Surely Elliot is our number 1?

Every time he gets the ball he instantly looks at creating something instantly.

Someone like Mayne on the other hand normally always takes 10-15 seconds to go back and access all his options, afraid of making a mistake.

Jul 25, 2008
The Linc
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Oakland Raiders
Best - Beams
Worst - Crocker/ Mayne

Beamer’s game sense is behind only Sam Mitchell and Diesel in my time watching footy. If he goes quick he invariably picks the right outlet (not sure what he was doing dishing to Greenwood on Thursday night) and when it’s slow he always picks a target that can release and go quick. It’s uncanny.

Splitting hairs with Mayne and Crocker. Mayne has survived in the game on the basis of his work rate which I don’t think Crocker has. Both can be elite momentum killers when they’re on!

Worst is Phillips because he butchers the pill.

Flippa is a rabbit in front of high beams when under a bit of pressure; Mayne also kills momentum.

I agree that Pendles is the obvious creator of "flow". Elliot, The Hyphen, Stephenson, are others and in the future Sier.

In 2010 & 2011 it was Daisy.

Jun 26, 2008
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Lan
Even though l like Langdon as a player and is a fan of, the thing that annoys me is he stops and looks after a mark mostly, instead of moving the ball on quickly
Langdon has really grown on me, however the 1 thing that shits be about him, is when he takes a mark he doesn't push back hard on the mark to allow and easier kick over the man on the mark.

Jun 26, 2008
Somewhere
AFL Club
Collingwood
Best are the gun mids - Pendles, Sidebottom, Beams, Treloar. Someone mentioned Adams as being the worst, I actually think he is excellent at it. Howe and Crisp are two others.

Worst would be Aish, Mayne and so far Roughead.
If we are talking of "flow" by hand then yes Treloar is good at it. "Flow" by kicking not so much! His kicking is very average

jackcass

Cancelled
10k Posts Magpie Service Medal Collingwood - Josh Daicos Player Sponsor 2021 Collingwood - Tyler Brown Player Sponsor 2020 Collingwood Magpies AFLW - Sarah Rowe Player Sponsor 2019
Oct 8, 2007
Bendigo
AFL Club
Collingwood
I doubt few would dispute that the shapeshifter himself, Scott Pendlebury is the best at this. Beams is also pretty damn good and it’s been great to see him back in the team with these skills.

The modfielders are expected to be the best at this, but others who seem to be very good are ...

Grundy
Varcoe
Cox
Stephenson

I'd add Elliott to your list.

Crispy and Dunn the best of our defensive players (at this stage given IQ is developing). Moore has improved this aspect of his game.

Wells is all class when he gets on the park.

Sier seems pretty good as well.

WHE when on is very good.

Of the developing kids I'd say Daicos, Murphy and the Brown lads, as well as A2B2 all very good.

Dynamics

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2007
AFL Club
Collingwood
Pendles obviously.

Treloar might spray the odd kick inside 50 but he's always looking to create and find space for himself and his team mates. One of the best give and go players in the AFL. Barring injuries you can lock him in for AA.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2006
Collingwood
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
The Mighty Mongooses
Is it too late to add in Cloke? He was terrible at moving on the ball quickly.

re: Aish. I'm a fan and I think he is slotting in fine down the back line at the moment. There's been a few 2 on 1's in which he has either won or nullified. BUT geezus .... he needs to get back off the mark when he knows he has to kick it long coz when he is too close, he is forced to chip it up too much or it gets touched.

domin8tors

Club Legend
Jun 23, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Best are the gun mids - Pendles, Sidebottom, Beams, Treloar. Someone mentioned Adams as being the worst, I actually think he is excellent at it. Howe and Crisp are two others.

Worst would be Aish, Mayne and so far Roughead.
Agreed probably 3 years Ago Adams actually tried too hard to pinpoint passes in the middle of the ground, now that he seemingly has removed that SUPER risky kick from his game that's why has probably elevated him from that B+ type player to A / A+. the other is Crisp. he seems to know when to go and take on the opposition and when to stop and hold up play more often then not at the right times.

And the other component of his game is when he quickly swoops on the 50/50 contest and has to get a quick kick away he bombs it 50-60 Metres, there is nothing more frustrating when a player quickly bombs it out of the area to another 50/50 contest only 20-30 Metres away not giving the backs a chance to reset.

Apr 13, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Tottenham
I think De Goey is actually one of the worst in the middle because he takes the game on a lot. He is one of the best at creating flow that didn't exist but he will often do the least simple thing like an over the back handball, try a dangerous kick to the middle of the ground etc. I wouldn't change the way he plays in the slightest however. It's just sometimes you think ok a simple handball over the top and we're out but he will try to

Langdon when he takes a mark and goes back to kick is poor but solid at ground level at moving the game on.

Mayne was horrible at this until late last year now IMO it's one of his strengths, he isn't super damaging with his ball use but always makes the right decision especially in the handball chains.

Thomas is probably the worst he doesn't quite have the best awareness. His strength is in winning the ball.

Aish moves it on quick enough most of the time but is the opposite of De Goey in that he is too safe and his possessions lack impact.

I saw someone mention Roughead but I think he's quite ok in this aspect, switches the ball well, moves it on quick enough.

Mihocek is prone to overestimating his ground level ability and take off more than he can chew.

Pendlebury, Treloar, Grundy, Crisp (except for his one a game out of bounds on the full), Varcoe, Elliot are our best at this.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back