NBN - Good or Bad

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
I had an issue when connecting over to NBN with iiNet and they weren't bad at all with getting it sorted. Maybe just lucky.

My experience with iiNet (some years ago now) was that their support was very good, but it was incorporated into the price. They introduced a new range of plans and didn't have one that suited me, so I jumped ship.

Feb 9, 2009
Footscray
AFL Club
Richmond
Found out the other day after the NBN website update that instead of getting HFC like the website told me this whole time, we are instead now getting the inferior FTTN. Considering how slow our ADSL2 is (we're a few kilometres from the exchange, and also assuming our copper is s**t) I dont think our speeds will increase that much if at all. Really disappointing because my mate just had his HFC installed (he lives in the suburb next to me) and gets 50 down, as per his plan. Fcuking pissed off to be honest. What a balls up.
Be happy mate, hfc is an inferior tech to even copper for the purpose of the internet. The only reason nbnco bought the hfc network in the first place is because abbot is a moron with no knowledge of the tech. The reason you aren't getting hfc anymore is because after buying the network they realised it was under maintained and just generally bad tech so dumped it.

amaz199

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 5, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
IIRC (correct me if I'm wrong), the issues with HFC is that when the load usage is high, the coaxial modulation of signals slows down drastically causing a bottleneck whilst the fibre component continues to transmit signals with little problems. However, since both signals have to be sending data with little delay, the fibre connection waits for the coaxial to catch up causing a monstrous spike in latency connection, and a disastrous drop in transfer speeds. And this is entirely dependent on distance, the frequency the node/receiver can operate and your modem. Which is why so many residents had issues with the NBN HFC AND FTTN in peak usage times. The coaxial is still there! Distributing to all your neighbours! Can you imagine the lag spikes!? The only difference with FTTN is it has separate cables going to all households in your neighbourhood.

The node that coverts the light signals to RF through to coaxial is the main reason why HFC can be a problem. Even though it is plainly better than just cable/DSL/ADSL connection, it still has the bottleneck at the front end where your signals reach your home. Why not just go all fibre to the home with fibre connection becoming more and more readily available? Oh right, Foxtel still exists...

Even worse, the longer the coaxial cable has to transmit data (on FTTN), the slower the data transfer will be. Packet loss can sometimes be so bad that uploading a small video onto your google drive could be a challenge in peak usage periods.

We have one of the most advanced wireless networks in the world yet we are so behind in broadband. It is so bad that I just turn on my 4G and watch in awe as a file gets uploaded in seconds. Broadband connection would take over 10 minutes.

I can only dream just how much better this country's broadband network can be if it followed the FTTP plan. Ever since the change to FTTN and lack of regulation of maintenance costs, it has cost the government more than what the predicted FTTP cost. FTTN still relies on very old copper networks but apparently improves upload speeds to 40Mbits. Which I find very questionable with coaxial still being the dedicated distributor to separate households.

There was even a survey into asking people from overseas about our NBN network, and they laughed at us with their 100+Mbits/200+Mbits per second consistent speeds.

Apr 20, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm with Optus. I recommend them along with iinet as they are cheap and are fair.
I've had bad experiences with telstra hence why i will avoid them.
Depending upon who you are with currently if you love the ISP stick with them. If you hate them ditch them.

Apr 20, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
That is Good Advice
Thanks.
Remember it could be a billing reason to a techical reason.
For example if you get a lot of drop outs you might want to change to some other ISP because of the dropouts.
I ditched Telstra because they were too much of a rip off. Even with my mobile i'd normally go with telstra. Until one day telstra decided to bill me and they weren't to pleasant about it.
They ripped me off.
So i ditched them and went with optus.

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I'm with Optus. I recommend them along with iinet as they are cheap and are fair.
I've had bad experiences with telstra hence why i will avoid them.
Depending upon who you are with currently if you love the ISP stick with them. If you hate them ditch them.
The problem with iiNet is that they are now part of TPG, and their customer service has been rapidly dropping to meet the standards TPG set. Almost there.
So., I'm desparately hoping when I move everything goes alright and I don't have to deal with them over the phone.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Hi Guys ...hoping someone can help me with a Kodi setup on a Minix Media Player (android) .....I've googled extensively but not getting the answer I'm looking for

I have 5 x hardrives hooked into the Minix ....one directly and 4 via a USB Hub

Objective: to get artwork for movies downloaded and showing ala Netflix

I've read how to setup libraries, but Kodi (18.2 V) automatically recognises the hardrives ....so I can see & view all my movies

I'm supposed to find the hardrives, and setup how Kodi interacts with them ......but they're already there ??

I have the automatic updating of artwork switched on .......but it's not downloading anything & I'm assuming Kodi is not going past the hardrive names?

What am I doing wrong ?

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Hi Guys ...hoping someone can help me with a Kodi setup on a Minix Media Player (android) .....I've googled extensively but not getting the answer I'm looking for

I have 5 x hardrives hooked into the Minix ....one directly and 4 via a USB Hub

Objective: to get artwork for movies downloaded and showing ala Netflix

I've read how to setup libraries, but Kodi (18.2 V) automatically recognises the hardrives ....so I can see & view all my movies

I'm supposed to find the hardrives, and setup how Kodi interacts with them ......but they're already there ??

I have the automatic updating of artwork switched on .......but it's not downloading anything & I'm assuming Kodi is not going past the hardrive names?

What am I doing wrong ?

You need to add the folders/drives into the library. I haven't got a Kodi box in front of me, but from memory find the folders in Videos -> Files, "right click" and select Add Source to Library, specify the content type (Movie, TV, etc), and it should start downloading metadata. If you have TV shows or Movies spanned across multiple drives you can add multiple folders to a single source, which makes things a little neater.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
You need to add the folders/drives into the library. I haven't got a Kodi box in front of me, but from memory find the folders in Videos -> Files, "right click" and select Add Source to Library, specify the content type (Movie, TV, etc), and it should start downloading metadata. If you have TV shows or Movies spanned across multiple drives you can add multiple folders to a single source, which makes things a little neater.
That's what I thought too ......but following that method, I can't find the hardrives when I click add video's... unless I set them up as network drives ?

1558938202006.png

So when I click enter files section to follow what you're suggesting .....I can see my Hardrives listed (as per image)

1558938317263.png

But the the metadata isn't downloading .....

dav3

Brownlow Medallist
May 1, 2009
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
That's what I thought too ......but following that method, I can't find the hardrives when I click add video's... unless I set them up as network drives ?

View attachment 681646

So when I click enter files section to follow what you're suggesting .....I can see my Hardrives listed (as per image)

View attachment 681647

But the the metadata isn't downloading .....
As the top screenshot says, your library is currently empty because while your drives are plugged in and visible you haven't actually added any content to the library. Within that files section you need to add folders on those drives into the library, or (I think) use that "Add Videos...." button to create a new source and add all your TV folders, and create another source for your movie folders.

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
As the top screenshot says, your library is currently empty because while your drives are plugged in and visible you haven't actually added any content to the library. Within that files section you need to add folders on those drives into the library, or (I think) use that "Add Videos...." button to create a new source and add all your TV folders, and create another source for your movie folders.
That makes sense .....tried doing that B4, but couldn't find the hardrives strangely enough to setup a new source

Only option was setting up a new network drive ....but that didn't sound right ? ....I'll have another go & report back, thanks for the help

Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide

LFC2010

Brownlow Medallist
Apr 28, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool, Boston Celtics
It's only usually very short but I have noticed that mine often cuts out once or twice a day.

My NBN with optus does this as well, it's a pain in the arse. Optus even sent a 2nd modem out, but it made no difference.
speeds are okay for what I pay for, so that's something I guess.

Ralll

Club Legend
Apr 19, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Was getting 112Mb download on Telstra cable (after latest speed increase) 200g for $70.
Moved house and had to join NBN, Aussie BB 50/20 (HFC), 48Mb download, 500g for $75. Aussie BB tech guys were great.
Pretty happy with it.

Back