Skills Skills on your own

Remove this Banner Ad

runningfree

Draftee
Mar 25, 2015
AFL Club
Gold Coast
With the early end of season for some of us its time to fill in the gaps for a month or two! Anyone have any drills to improve skills that can be done on your own? Cheers!

You can always work on goal kicking on your own I guess?

head to kmart and get one of those soccer goal nets then you can replicate running and kicking by kicking the ball into the net from various angles...if you buy 2 then you can do short stab kicks (a great skill to have) from 1 to the other without having to chase the ball 500m each time you kick it

Thats sounding like a winner, really wanting to make My running kick off of halfback my greatest weapon

Go to a reserve or park with lots of trees, kick and try to hit the trees. Start out with think trees then go to skinny trees. It's good fun

Bump on this.

Looking at finally getting (back) into footy at a very low level next year. Haven't played since I was fifteen or so, and have been meaning to get back into it over the past 5 years but some circumstances have meant that I need to spend much of our season in Eastern Europe. But, that should hopefully be resolved as of next year.

I will be back in Australia by late July, and I want to be prepared for next season. I'll be 25 by that point. If anyone has any other ideas for skill drills to do on my lonesome, that would be great.

(If you can recommend a struggling Northern Suburbs of Melbourne club who is willing to take on anyone, that would also be great).

Best way to work in your drop punts.. Stand in the middle of the yard, and kick the ball on the spot...about 20m high and let it go straight up and back to you without you moving.. I grew up doing this non-stop on my balcony... no room for error!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Go buy a few soccer free kick manequins. For example - https://www.rebelsport.com.au/p/psg-porta-d-training-mannequin-371021.html

These can be used for basic/static accuracy practice for a short pass upfield, or can represent team mates or opponents in more match type scenarios.

For example, place one 60m out on the flank, and another about 20m out. The one 60m out is an opponent, start 20 paces back from it, and grubber kick or roll the ball towards it. Collect the footy on the run, cut inside your "opponent" onto your preferred foot, and hit the one 20m out, who is your "team mate". I'm sure you can think of dozens of variations on this.

Something i've come up with try kicking a short but high enough ball to practise gathering it or running onto it, but don't mark it. Have it far enough away to bounce near in front of you. Ideally you could just throw it, but i prefer to do short high kicks just to not lose the feel of kicking

If it's pretty straight the ball will flick back at you or away from you on a bounce. If it comes off a little side ways try and predict the bounce.

It's pretty fun to do alone imo, sometimes the ball bounces back and high and clean over my head. If you want to make it a little more interesting do it near some goals and try kicking a goal after you get possession. You can also change the angles a bit so the ball will maybe bounce towards the boundary line forcing you to gather and kick on a tighter angle

With the early end of season for some of us its time to fill in the gaps for a month or two! Anyone have any drills to improve skills that can be done on your own? Cheers!

Practice selling candy. Shape to kick while running and dummy. Defenders nearly always jump to smother or commit to smothering (playing the ball not the man) and are easy to trick. Learn it both sides of the body. Most underutilised skill in footy.

You can actually easily make your own and arguably 100x better markmaster using any old footie, some shoelace and one of those gym rubber bands tied onto any old leather belt you have at home... Do 30 kicks off each foot and 30 hand passes a day and that'll help. Obviously not as good as full training but anyway...

I notice Collingwood train with these custom built nets. Where would I go to create my own as I don't think you can just buy these?
Capture.JPG

Remove this Banner Ad

Back