Which player traded in 2018 is having the biggest influence at their new club

Which traded player is having the biggest influence at their new club?

• Lincoln McCarthy (Brisbane)

Votes: 4 1.9%
  • Mitch McGovern (Carlton)

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Jared Polec (North Melbourne)

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Jasper Pittard (North Melbourne)

Votes: 3 1.4%
  • Gary Rohan (Geelong)

Votes: 16 7.4%
  • Tom Hickey (West Coast)

• Marcus Adams (Brisbane)

• Dylan Shiel (Essendon)

Votes: 54 25.1%
  • Dom Tyson (North Melbourne)

• Dayne Beams (Collingwood)

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Sam Lloyd (Western Bulldogs)

• Aaron Hall (North Melbourne)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • Jack Scrimshaw (Hawthorn)

Votes: 9 4.2%
  • Tom Scully (Hawthorn)

Votes: 10 4.7%
  • Taylor Duryea (Western Bulldogs)

• Chad Wingard (Hawthorn)

• Lachie Neale (Brisbane)

Votes: 120 55.8%
  • Jessie Hogan (Fremantle)

Votes: 18 8.4%
  • Rory Lobb (Fremantle)

Votes: 12 5.6%
  • Steven May (Melbourne)

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Kade Kolodjashnij (Melbourne)

• Jack Hombsch (Gold Coast)

Votes: 9 4.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Shiel loses points because of Essendon's first two games but is building nicely. Will probably win the b&f.

Lycett good but shouldering most of the ruck load so far is extra important. Ryder will be fresher come finals should they make it and they'll have a genuine ruck duo.

Hmmm. Ones averaging 16 disposals, the other 29. Obvious which one is having a bigger influence. Shiel was exactly what Carlton need.

Shiel would have cost us Walsh. We're fine thanks.

You can try and spin revisionist history as much as you want but nothing will make it true. Carlton were ready to sell the farm for Shiel, they thought a private jet to Noosa would seal the deal, reality is he just didn't want to go there.

Reality is we only wanted to trade a future first for him. By Shiel's own admission Carlton were close and ahead of the others who were in the race. Bomber supporters are taking pot shots because of the rivalry.

Concentrate on the thread premise, not taking pot shots at Carlton.

For us so far:

1. Newman
2. Setterfield
3. McGovern
Daylight
4. Fasolo

Expecting Setterfield and McGovern to surge ahead though. Gov has some real dynamic patches as we saw at the Crows as well. Will he ever be a four quarter player?

Neale is obviously the standout.

But Hogan is building nicely for us. Three goals and 22 possessions for a key forward against one of the form teams of the comp away from home is pretty good. He’s also given Taberner some space, who imo is playing his best footy of his career. Will take some time, but I think Hogan will be our best ever trade.

Correct. I'm saying that is what it would have taken. GWS weren't going to accept our future 1st. We were at an impasse.
You don’t know what GWS would have accepted. All we know is Carlton weren’t giving up Walsh and were deperate for Shiel. If Shiel wanted to come to Carlton both of them would have been playing for the Blues today.

They ended up accepting likely 2 mid range first rounders from the Bombers. 2019 Carlton first probably would have been enough (and more appealing).

You don’t know what GWS would have accepted. All we know is Carlton weren’t giving up Walsh and were deperate for Shiel. If Shiel wanted to come to Carlton both of them would have been playing for the Blues today.

They ended up accepting likely 2 mid range first rounders from the Bombers. 2019 Carlton first probably would have been enough (and more appealing).

You tell me I don't know what GWS would have accepted, despite their opening ambit refusal and then suggest your own version of what they would have accepted. No need to be hypocritical or a right fighter in order to paint a 'Carlton fail' scenario.

You tell me I don't know what GWS would have accepted, despite their opening ambit refusal and then suggest your own version of what they would have accepted. No need to be hypocritical or a right fighter in order to paint a 'Carlton fail' scenario.

Essendon gave up two mid round firsts for Shiel and a future second rounder.

A top 3pick in 2019 is at least the equivalent of that (11 & 11 with a pick in the 30s coming back). Even though SOS ended up trading it for less.

Would GWS have accepted it? Who knows? Value wise it is greater than the Essendon offer and they where happy when SOS was sniffing round late in the last trade day when Essendon were stalling.

Shiel would have got to Carlton if he nominated them and Walsh would have still been a blue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lachie Neale but he was probably the best player in terms of form as an A grade mid. I think Jesse Hogan will make ground by years end, Wingard not now but could he actually fulfill all that potential. Tom Lynch not sure if he qualifies is starting to look very manacing.

Scrimshaw and Mcarthy have been good bargain pickups interesting to see if the latters body holds up. Hombsch also been good from what I have seen.

Hanneberry & May have not been able to really get on the park and the cost was high so they are probably the most disappointing parts early.

What we know was keeping the no.1 pick looks the correct move by the blues. I think dylan Shiel is a very nice player but if I had that trade on the table mid-season and missed it drafted Walsh I would be a happy man. I kept my salary cap in tact and got a gem.

The thing that should not be overlooked with GWS is the model they used so many high picks cost so much money in salary. If your top 10 like a paul Ahern and playing NEAFL you could be costing 350k you probably have 5 or 6 guys like that.

Then when they lost the cap kicker you end up having to trade basically a whole AFL side and regenerate it. So a lot of these guys like Shiel, Scully, Treloar, Smith, Steele, Lobb, Setterfield you just cannot afford to keep.

So the value is down and when you get high picks in return those salaries blow you right out down the line.

What we know was keeping the no.1 pick looks the correct move by the blues. I think dylan Shiel is a very nice player but if I had that trade on the table mid-season and missed it drafted Walsh I would be a happy man. I kept my salary cap in tact and got a gem.

The thing that should not be overlooked with GWS is the model they used so many high picks cost so much money in salary. If your top 10 like a paul Ahern and playing NEAFL you could be costing 350k you probably have 5 or 6 guys like that.

Then when they lost the cap kicker you end up having to trade basically a whole AFL side and regenerate it. So a lot of these guys like Shiel, Scully, Treloar, Smith, Steele, Lobb, Setterfield you just cannot afford to keep.

So the value is down and when you get high picks in return those salaries blow you right out down the line.
Pretty hard to keep everyone when you have a reducing list size anyway.

Very happy with our experienced acquisitions in Lycett and Burton so far. Both have given our team a very different dynamic and should have a lot of good footy in them. Mayes I think will also become important later in the year providing outside run if/when the first years start tiring.

League wide Neale is clearly the most influential so far. Haven't seen much of Shiel outside of the first two weeks when he was pretty meh. Hopefully he can have a big ANZAC day. Lynch obviously towelled us up, and will only get better as he integrates with the Tigers system.

For Carlton, Newman is having a huge influence (4th in the league for metres gained) and helping to fill the massive void left by Sam Docherty. Great result for a 4th rounder.

In terms of value, he must be the recruit of the year. Has been brilliant for what Carlton gave up for him

In terms of value, he must be the recruit of the year. Has been brilliant for what Carlton gave up for him

Sometimes you feel like coaches just seem to really dislike a certain type of player. Newman always looked good when I saw him at Sydney but it was clear that Longmire wasn't as impressed. I'm sure every club has had one or two like that at some point. I know Essendon had Bachar Houli ages ago and the fans thought he was great but Knights was not a fan. We all know how that one ended up.

If people were voting honestly, Neale would have 100% of the votes. I don’t understand how anyone could argue any different.

There are probably people that have seen 0 Brisbane games, don't play supercoach/AFL fantasy etc and mostly just watch their own team play and maybe a Friday night game or 2. Also Neale was pretty far down the poll list.

Back