General Media Grievances and Thumbs Down

Remove this Banner Ad

The obsession with close ups in real time has become an issue. We, as viewers lose all perspective when we get a close up then the ball is hacked out. The camera never keeps up and we get the camera shot waving around trying to make sense of what is happening.

A wide shot is better for real time, with the close up used in replay.
Absolutely. Drives me crazy every game.

What's the point in seeing one or two players close up when you can't see what's going on around them (e.g. a player about to run in and tackle)?

The broadcasters seem to think that watching the ball is watching the game.

Bruce Mcavaney. Is he one if the most boring commentators ever? Repeats the same expressions over and over. His calling of general play is absolutely pedestrian also
Not only the same expressions but the same word. Looking looking looking. Kicking kicking kicking. Waiting waiting waiting. Few weeks ago I actually heard him screaming SQUIRTING SQUIRTING SQUIRTING!!! This is top tier commentary? Please. Just retire.

Not only the same expressions but the same word. Looking looking looking. Kicking kicking kicking. Waiting waiting waiting. Few weeks ago I actually heard him screaming SQUIRTING SQUIRTING SQUIRTING!!! This is top tier commentary? Please. Just retire.

I heard about this. Do you know which game it was and the time/qtr? Would love to get the sound grab

In the Collingwood v Brisbane game, Bruce said a very strange thing, that has received no coverage as far as I know.

After Abby was interviewing Luke Hodge during the game,
Bruce said something along the lines that lucky Abby didn’t ask another question, or,

Luke would have elbowed her .... to get back on the field.

In today’s times, to say anyone would elbow a woman, isn’t exactly PC is it?

Just a curious thing for Bruce to splutter out.

Last edited:
In the Collingwood v Brisbane game, Bruce said a very strange thing, that has received no coverage as far as I know.

After Abby was interviewing Luke Hodge during the game,
Bruce said something along the lines that lucky Abby didn’t ask another question, or,

Luke would have elbowed her .... to get back on the field.

In today’s times, to say anyone would elbow a woman, isn’t exactly PC is it?

Just a curious thing fir Bruce to splutter out.

I’m more surprised there was no sexual remarks and moans from Bruce, watching hodge get a leg rub.

It’s become disturbing, liked Bruce as a commentator but think he should just do maybe racing and tennis but in footy I think his time is up

It’s become disturbing, liked Bruce as a commentator but think he should just do maybe racing and tennis but in footy I think his time is up
Once you become a parody of yourself it’s time.
And old mate Bruce is long past it.

Having cracks, anonymously, at an 18-year-old's IQ and soothsaying his future without football is pretty ordinary. Edmund shouldn't have quoted them and the Hun definitely shouldn't have published them.

How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
an hour ago

The final straw for one club came when Sydney Stack failed to show up for work.
Stack had last year started a bank traineeship in Perth, but his sudden no-show was enough for this club’s recruiting team.

“You’re just thinking, ‘Gee whiz mate, footy is a grind. You can’t just not turn up whenever you feel like it’,” the recruiting chief said.

“You obviously start asking: ‘How will he go meeting the requirements and punctuality at AFL level?”
In a year in which Stack was turfed from the AFL Academy, kicked out of the WA State Academy, stood down for the first game of the under 18 championships and lost his licence, AFL clubs assessing his draft worth didn’t need Sherlock Holmes to discover his wayward nature.

Despite possessing an on-field talent many clubs rated as first-round worthy, they were outweighed by the off-field problems.
It goes some way to explaining the now inconceivable — how Richmond’s four-game, 18-year-old cult-hero could be ignored in last year’s national and rookie drafts.

47359b16e94ee6b1ef669bc33931d685

The Tigers themselves didn’t take him with any of their four national draft picks and then overlooked him with their five rookie draft picks before choosing the ‘try before you buy’ approach in the new supplemental selection period.

Rival recruiters contacted by the Herald Sun praised Richmond for taking the risk they were never going to.

“I still remember when he left our interview thinking, ‘S. t i’d love to take a punt on this kid’. You realised footy could change his life, but we didn’t have the foundations set up enough to support him off-field,” one talent spotter said.

“It’s not a cheap exercise relocating a kid and you’re trying to evaluate where will they live and who will they mix with. There’s a lot that goes into it.

“Full credit to Richmond … but keep in mind they’ve got 100,000 members so budget isn’t such a big deal. For other clubs you’re weighing up risk versus reward.

“You hope it does all hold together because if it’s not footy there is no future for this kid. He’s not going to become a builder or something like that because he lacks the discipline.”

6b1519666f1371713f4687d781bb3303

Sydney Stack pulls down a huge hanger during Richmond's win over Melbourne. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith.

One club’s list manager said: “He’s at the lower end in terms of his IQ off-field, but there was never any doubting his IQ on-field.

“You have to be able to sit back and ask, ‘Does the talent stack up and is the off-field stuff going to affect the on-field?

“You then have to assess your own club. Have we got the resources to give this a chance?

“This is where Richmond have done really well. They’ve clearly put things in place to minimise that risk.”

Incredibly, Damien Hardwick took Stack under his roof in December and for a week in January. He now lives with former Saint and Lion and development coach Xavier Clarke.

“It was massive for ‘Dimma’ to take him in,” one recruiter said.

“Daniel Rioli was completely different. He’s got a good sense of humour and is quite cheeky, whereas Sydney was a bit of a hard-arse … and didn’t trust many people and you can’t blame him for that because that’s what he’d grown up with.”

One recruiter who had followed Stack’s journey said idle time had been the danger.
“He comes from a really tough background, but during the footy season he always had focus. When there was no footy was the big worry,” he said.

“But perhaps the only way he was going to make it was how Richmond did it.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Having cracks, anonymously, at an 18-year-old's IQ and soothsaying his future without football is pretty ordinary. Edmund shouldn't have quoted them and the Hun definitely shouldn't have published them.

How Sydney Stack went from being ignored in two drafts last year to cult hero status in four games
Sam Edmund, Herald Sun
an hour ago

The final straw for one club came when Sydney Stack failed to show up for work.
Stack had last year started a bank traineeship in Perth, but his sudden no-show was enough for this club’s recruiting team.

“You’re just thinking, ‘Gee whiz mate, footy is a grind. You can’t just not turn up whenever you feel like it’,” the recruiting chief said.

“You obviously start asking: ‘How will he go meeting the requirements and punctuality at AFL level?”
In a year in which Stack was turfed from the AFL Academy, kicked out of the WA State Academy, stood down for the first game of the under 18 championships and lost his licence, AFL clubs assessing his draft worth didn’t need Sherlock Holmes to discover his wayward nature.

Despite possessing an on-field talent many clubs rated as first-round worthy, they were outweighed by the off-field problems.
It goes some way to explaining the now inconceivable — how Richmond’s four-game, 18-year-old cult-hero could be ignored in last year’s national and rookie drafts.

47359b16e94ee6b1ef669bc33931d685

The Tigers themselves didn’t take him with any of their four national draft picks and then overlooked him with their five rookie draft picks before choosing the ‘try before you buy’ approach in the new supplemental selection period.

Rival recruiters contacted by the Herald Sun praised Richmond for taking the risk they were never going to.

“I still remember when he left our interview thinking, ‘S. t i’d love to take a punt on this kid’. You realised footy could change his life, but we didn’t have the foundations set up enough to support him off-field,” one talent spotter said.

“It’s not a cheap exercise relocating a kid and you’re trying to evaluate where will they live and who will they mix with. There’s a lot that goes into it.

“Full credit to Richmond … but keep in mind they’ve got 100,000 members so budget isn’t such a big deal. For other clubs you’re weighing up risk versus reward.

“You hope it does all hold together because if it’s not footy there is no future for this kid. He’s not going to become a builder or something like that because he lacks the discipline.”

6b1519666f1371713f4687d781bb3303

Sydney Stack pulls down a huge hanger during Richmond's win over Melbourne. Picture: AAP Image/Julian Smith.

One club’s list manager said: “He’s at the lower end in terms of his IQ off-field, but there was never any doubting his IQ on-field.

“You have to be able to sit back and ask, ‘Does the talent stack up and is the off-field stuff going to affect the on-field?

“You then have to assess your own club. Have we got the resources to give this a chance?

“This is where Richmond have done really well. They’ve clearly put things in place to minimise that risk.”

Incredibly, Damien Hardwick took Stack under his roof in December and for a week in January. He now lives with former Saint and Lion and development coach Xavier Clarke.

“It was massive for ‘Dimma’ to take him in,” one recruiter said.

“Daniel Rioli was completely different. He’s got a good sense of humour and is quite cheeky, whereas Sydney was a bit of a hard-arse … and didn’t trust many people and you can’t blame him for that because that’s what he’d grown up with.”

One recruiter who had followed Stack’s journey said idle time had been the danger.
“He comes from a really tough background, but during the footy season he always had focus. When there was no footy was the big worry,” he said.

“But perhaps the only way he was going to make it was how Richmond did it.”

Wow that is a disgusting interview. Basically saying the kid would be on the streets or in jail if he wasn’t playing footy because he’s a complete dumb arse. I can’t believe that stuff was acceptable to be published.

OK here we go. In no particular order..

Caroline Wilson suggesting the Demon players are allergic to Brendon McCartney. The previous week she tried shaking Adelaide's cage, but nothing came of it. Let's face it. She's just spit balling, hoping something catches fire. How awful that she's still part of the media landscape. The game deserves better.

Gary Lyon thinks that Jordon Lewis, when deciding to continue his career into 2019, should have considered the media backlash should his season go pear-shaped. Let me repeat that. Mr Lyon thinks that players should consider the opinions of journalists when deciding whether or not to retire. In other words, instead of Jordon discussing his future with, say, his coach, he should have taken a stroll down to the Herald Sun offices.

Tom Browne achieved something we haven't seen since the Pies / Blues game of 2017 - vox pops outside the G after the final siren with disgruntled fans. The Demon 'fans' who spoke to him should be ashamed, and I hope the club takes their membership away. Tom proved himself to be a stupid opportunistic prick.

Nathan Buckley in his Anzac Day after-match presser suggested that the media should cease discussing the booing, because the more air it gets, the more people will do it. So here we are, 6 days later, and talk-back radio (SEN & 5AA particularly) are still clinging to the issue for dear life. The obscene social media comments about Jarryd Roughead were also exploited by these same radio stations.

Three things I learned listening to AFL Hall Of Famer, Kevin Sheedy, on channel 9's 'The Footy Show':

1. When asked, Kev couldn't think of anything nice to say about Pendles' Anzac Day achievement. Instead he suggested that if he was still coaching, Pendles would have been knocked out. Chilling. Some of these old timers should be in prison for putting a 'hit' on opposition players. The current crop of 'legends' give me the creeps.

2. When asked about Joe Daniher's fine for not putting his name on the team sheet for round 5, Kev seemed to think that the rules don't apply to the Bombers. If you want to know who created the culture at Essendon that spawned a Hird and the world's greatest drug binge, look no further. If I were Sheeds, I'd keep a real low profile for the rest of his days.

3. Premierships aren't that important. You can win 3 as a player, and 4 as a coach, and still end up drowning in a pool of your own misery.

1556711252126.png

Tom Morris seems like a reasonable chap but it grinds my gears when he's on AW and feels the need to precede most things he says with "I can tell you..."

Tom, bubby, keep the vertical pronoun out of your reporting. If you don't know what i'm talking about, go on and watch Frontline's episode "The i Disease".

This was Triple M's reporting of Clarksons comments

This was his actual comment
"He’s in the back-end of his career and last week could’ve been his last game for the footy club but I would hope that’s not the case because we’ve still got 15 games to go.
Triple M are the worst offenders of Clickbait media coverage out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back