• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Priddis Is Done

Norm Smith Medallist
May 28, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
What has happened from 2 weeks ago when we comfortably won the GF replay to the shitshow last night? Is it just an attitude thing? Did the players get ahead of themselves?
As I said previously, it looks more likely now that we gee ourselves up for the biggest games, to show we still have it... giving us a false illusion of where we really are at.

But it's a long season, it's a funny year, we could pull our finger out...what would i know.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
The biggest issue with that game is it's a real blueprint on how to beat us. And it's an easy method for other teams to copy. Manic, manic pressure.

Simmo has been great for us, but his methodical stick to the plan style can come unstuck if the opposition execute like port did last night because there isn't much of a plan b - or at least there doesn't seem to be.

Gaff needs to move to the wing, where he is one of the best in the competition. He's not strong enough to be at the coalface over and over, and it takes away his biggest strength - finding space and running into it. I know some people deride him for getting cheap uncontested possessions, but who cares - he is a seriously damaging wingman.
I think most coaches can work out how to beat a team that has a defined style, the difficulty is in executing it. Essendon played a similar game to Port last year and smashed us. Richmond won a premiership using a similar game style and we beat the by 47 points (after being all even at half time). We lost last night because we were unable to stop Port from executing their plan - we applied poor pressure and did not make the most of our opportunities up forward as our structures we shocking.

southcoast

Premiership Player
Sep 25, 2006
southcoast
AFL Club
West Coast
What has happened from 2 weeks ago when we comfortably won the GF replay to the shitshow last night? Is it just an attitude thing? Did the players get ahead of themselves?

Have heard Mick Malthouse on a couple of occasions and he is emphatic that backing up after a premiership is hard to do. He is of the opinion that players 'rest on their laurels' ever so slightly contests they were winning last year through intent are not being won in the year after premiership.

Last night looked like that.

Sep 16, 2006
AFL Club
West Coast
Have heard Mick Malthouse on a couple of occasions and he is emphatic that backing up after a premiership is hard to do. He is of the opinion that players 'rest on their laurels' ever so slightly contests they were winning last year through intent are not being won in the year after premiership.

I said watching the game that it was like the players didnt like the cold so they couldnt be bothered being out there.

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
I think most coaches can work out how to beat a team that has a defined style, the difficulty is in executing it.
This X 1,000,000.

We're still a good team. But every now and then a team will hit their straps and do you.

But 80% of the time we are the team that everyone knows how we're gonna play, they put a plan in place, but they still can't stop it anyway.

Last night was one of the 20% nights.

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
It needs to happen.

The midfield looked so much better with Sheed onball and Gaffs disposal under pressure has been putrid.

Was kicking at 17% halfway through the evening.

Exactly. Get Gaff some more room to move and his efficiency will improve.

Get Sheed in the middle where he plays his best footy.

Sorry Masto but it is simply time where a better wing man in Gaff is pushing you out the side. There is no arguement to be had and no shame in it.

Simo, play your best team in their best positions.

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea

And he would be on the money, I think. The next 5-6 weeks will be a big test for our blokes, and we will see how driven they are. The redemption must start at Geelong

Avalor

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 15, 2009
Jakarta
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Perth, Donnybrook, Chelsea
I said watching the game that it was like the players didnt like the cold so they couldnt be bothered being out there.

I remember a game in my youth days down in a little place called Rocky Gully, near Albany, and it was so bloody cold that my fingers froze. I could not undo my bootlaces. And that's exactly how I felt - didn't want to be out there.

Maybe our boys are like that too.

Rowan18

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 20, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
This X 1,000,000.

We're still a good team. But every now and then a team will hit their straps and do you.

But 80% of the time we are the team that everyone knows how we're gonna play, they put a plan in place, but they still can't stop it anyway.

Last night was one of the 20% nights.
It's also good to remember that the last two times we played port at adelaide oval we got smashed in inside 50s and managed to pull a win out of our arse (after the siren both times). Maybe we actually match up poorly on Port but this time they finally managed to kick straight.

kerrazy

Premiership Player
Apr 26, 2008
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I remember a game in my youth days down in a little place called Rocky Gully, near Albany, and it was so bloody cold that my fingers froze. I could not undo my bootlaces. And that's exactly how I felt - didn't want to be out there.

Maybe our boys are like that too.
You'd hope professional football players
Wouldn't have that mindset. I mean they're getting paid hundreds of thousands FFS.

Dec 23, 2011
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
The Exers
The "No Plan B" thing is so lazy IMO and can be said about just about everyone when it's convenient to do so. The same criticism was aimed at the Wildcats this season during their form slump, and of course history shows that they went on to win the title. Regardless of what your Plan A is, the important thing is everyone being on the same page, giving maximum effort, and actually executing the plan correctly. Picking a side capable of best executing your Plan A also helps a lot. But let's be honest, last night it's not like we were suddenly going to win the game by switching to Plan B. We were rubbish.
Learn the lessons, make the changes, and get better.
Yeah but all of the wildcat players have a basketball background, West Coast only have a few.

Dec 18, 2005
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
We got belted before the rain came. It had nothing to do with it.

Also, saying we haven't played well this year is revisionist history. We were brilliant against GWS, our best game by far, followed by Collingwood. The i50 count of GWS doesn't mean we played poorly at all.

However when the rain DID come, the players needed to know to just boot the ball 50m, gain territory. Wet weather football is pretty simple, it doesn't change from year to year.

End Game

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Started this thread primarily out of the frustration that, predictably, Simpson brought eMac straight back in, ruining a successful structure for the sake of a big name.

Feel he’s doing similar with Gaff this year.[/
As good as Gaff is, I really wanted him to go to North last year. I have said before and was torn a new one, that Gaff makes us so predictable. Could be argued we played much better footy with him out of the side.[/QUOTE]

These night games aren't helping us. Slippery footy really harms our method.

I watched most of the game again. Putting aside our woeful forward set up they put a score on us because we let so much footy over the back of contests. We really missed barrass' iron fist down back.

Our defenders have always been rubbish running back toward goal, the ball has to stay in front of them.

Our midfield work rate was embarrassing too. Port really showed us up in that space.

Astro7

Official Halftime Oranges Man
Aug 6, 2017
AFL Club
West Coast
It's also good to remember that the last two times we played port at adelaide oval we got smashed in inside 50s and managed to pull a win out of our arse (after the siren both times). Maybe we actually match up poorly on Port but this time they finally managed to kick straight.
This is true! It could've easily been 2 straight losses to Port, then they smash us here on a wet night and we accept that as a natural progession. Plus they've added Lycett with his inside dirt on us, and a couple of newbies. Their mids have pumped up more. They've tuned their weaknesses. So it's a more improved Port than last time, a Port that was ahead in both games, but lost in the last minutes.

But certainly no need to sack the club and fold the coach just yet!?

Jul 26, 2007
Darwin
AFL Club
West Coast
The biggest issue with that game is it's a real blueprint on how to beat us. And it's an easy method for other teams to copy. Manic, manic pressure.

Simmo has been great for us, but his methodical stick to the plan style can come unstuck if the opposition execute like port did last night because there isn't much of a plan b - or at least there doesn't seem to be.

Gaff needs to move to the wing, where he is one of the best in the competition. He's not strong enough to be at the coalface over and over, and it takes away his biggest strength - finding space and running into it. I know some people deride him for getting cheap uncontested possessions, but who cares - he is a seriously damaging wingman.

No plan B?

Like instead of kicking from defense we run out with 5-6 handballs plan B. We started doing that before the rain came.

Once it got wet and became a true ground ball game our stubborn refusal to select a team for wet conditions came back AGAIN to slap us in the face. We were forced to kick long in the wet to gain territory and I lost count of the number of times we kicked long, the ball was spoilt and Port had three players set up perfectly in front of the pack to clear the ball unopposed.

It was like WTF were our ground players? Is it that hard to read a pack and set up in front of it?

A strange positive but what could go wrong did go wrong. We are better and smarter than that and I hope we have a good look at the reveiw tapes and learn from that game because there were a fair few lessons being shoved down our throats.

surfstitch

Senior List
Nov 25, 2018
AFL Club
West Coast
Started this thread primarily out of the frustration that, predictably, Simpson brought eMac straight back in, ruining a successful structure for the sake of a big name.

Feel he’s doing similar with Gaff this year.
And Schofield. On form didn't deserve a game before Rotham.

And Schofield. On form didn't deserve a game before Rotham.
Schofield and Rotham were not competing for the same spot.

And Schofield had been very good in the WAFL the week before, the call up wasn't random.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back