Cripps or Oliver.

Who is the better player

• P. Cripps

Votes: 329 55.8%
  • C. Oliver

Votes: 261 44.2%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Answer the Question: Footy IQ, do you still think its a physical trait or do you admit you were wrong?

It is entertaining watching you squirm and deflect. Can't wait to see how you try and avoid the question yet again.
You're a little slow.

Of course mental traits are different to physical. The most athletically gifted footballer is useless without sufficient footy IQ. Footy IQ dictates the extent of the physical prowess.

Charlie Curnow is a classic example. He has fantastic physical gifts and limited footy smarts.

Do you agree that footy IQ is MORE important than physical traits ?

Insecure ? That's a laugh.

Footy IQ is the best ''physical trait'' any footballer could ever have.

You're a little slow.

Of course mental traits are different to physical. The most athletically gifted footballer is useless without sufficient footy IQ. Footy IQ dictates the extent of the physical prowess.

Charlie Curnow is a classic example. He has fantastic physical gifts and limited footy smarts.

Answer the Question: Footy IQ, do you still think its a physical trait or do you admit you were wrong?

It is entertaining watching you squirm and deflect. Can't wait to see how you try and avoid the question yet again.

Insecure ? That's a laugh.

Footy IQ is the best ''physical trait'' any footballer could ever have.

You're a little slow.

You're unhinged.

It is entertaining watching you squirm and deflect. Can't wait to see how you try and avoid the question yet again. You try and deflect more than a politician during question time.

Patrick Cripps is 24 years old with x1 AA

Very very overrated. not crap but not the champion everyone already thinks he is either

These two shouldn’t even be in the same conversation.
Don't be too harsh on Cripps, not many players are good enough to make the AA team at 21.

Patrick Cripps is 24 years old with x1 AA

Very very overrated. not crap but not the champion everyone already thinks he is either

You're a troll/wind up merchant account, so your opinions cannot be taken seriously.

By your logic, Bobby Skilton was overrated too.

But as I say, you are clearly a troll, so I lowered my colours responding to your nonsensical garbage.

For the record, I am a big fan of Clarry, his courage and work rate is extraordinary.

He is one of a very few Dee's pulling their weight right now.

You're a troll/wind up merchant account, so your opinions cannot be taken seriously.

But as I say, you are clearly a troll, so I lowered my colours responding to your nonsensical garbage.

No cripps is so overated. I understand he looks really good but Bennel, Hogan and Scully looked just as good at times too,

Players like Selwood, Pendlebury, Danger look different from those players from day one. No way will Cripps ever be that good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That popularity contest is a pretty lame measure of a player.

But it’s no different to Ablett Jnr. Both got their first AA’s at 23yo. Difference is Ablett took the MVP & AFLCA the same year ... Cripps only placed second. What a dud. Lol.

The only reason Ablett came so good was our competitive champion culture at the time. Geelong saved him whereas Carlton won't save Cripps. Players like Selwood were good from day 1. Whereas Cripps has been "good" for so long and only made the AA team once. Different definitions of good it would seem.

Cripps is good though just not top 5-10

Players like Selwood were good from day 1. Whereas Cripps has been "good" for so long and only made the AA team once. Different definitions of good it would seem.

Cripps is good though just not top 5-10

Cripps has been good for a few seasons now. He’s currently having his second great season. You’re entitled to your opinion, but your reasoning is full of holes. 2nd in the MVP last year. 2nd in AFLCA. Made the All Australian team. And you’re saying he’s not good now because he didn’t make AA two years ago? :drunk:

Polly was cheated out of the '63 Brownlow. An absolute travesty the third best player in Skilton was awarded it.

Cripps is dominating Clarry in this poll.
Cripps dominated Clarry in the view of the players (most recent AFLMVP voting)
Cripps dominated Clarry in the view of the coaches (2018 AFLCA voting)
Cripps is dominating Clarry in the view of the coaches again (2019 AFLCA, Cripps is currently no.1)
Cripps dominated Clarry in the view of the umpires (2018 Brownlow voting)

Cripps is in constant discussion for best player in the game. In contrast, it is not even clear that Clarry is the best player on Melbourne's list (in fairness, their midfield is ridiculously stacked with talent).

This "debate" is more one-sided than a Russian "election".

Oliver telegraphs his handballs and sells his teammates into trouble far too often. Decent player, but needs to fix up this aspect of his game.

Cripps is arguably the best player in the comp at the moment.

Cripps is dominating Clarry in this poll.
Cripps dominated Clarry in the view of the players (most recent AFLMVP voting)
Cripps dominated Clarry in the view of the coaches (2018 AFLCA voting)
Cripps is dominating Clarry in the view of the coaches again (2019 AFLCA, Cripps is currently no.1)
Cripps dominated Clarry in the view of the umpires (2018 Brownlow voting)

Cripps is in constant discussion for best player in the game. In contrast, it is not even clear that Clarry is the best player on Melbourne's list (in fairness, their midfield is ridiculously stacked with talent).

This "debate" is more one-sided than a Russian "election".
Cripps is no doubt ahead when comparing these two players and so he should be as he is 3 years older than Oliver. But * me you are very selective in some of your comparissons

Tbf Oliver came 5th in the AFLCA award in 2018 and his team mate won it, so he was hardly dominated by Cripps. He also finished 6th in the award. So Oliver has finished in the top 6 twice in 3 years, not sure if Cripps has had 2 finished that high despite being in the system for longer

Brayshaw finished above Cripps in the bronwlow in 2018. That just goes to show how bad the voting by umpires can be.

Oliver probaby isn't the best player at Melbourne but to be fair Gawn was probably the best player in the league last year, so being second to him is no shame

Cripps is no doubt ahead when comparing these two players and so he should be as he is 3 years older than Oliver. But **** me you are very selective in some of your comparissons

Tbf Oliver came 5th in the AFLCA award in 2018 and his team mate won it, so he was hardly dominated by Cripps. He also finished 6th in the award. So Oliver has finished in the top 6 twice in 3 years, not sure if Cripps has had 2 finished that high despite being in the system for longer

Brayshaw finished above Cripps in the bronwlow in 2018. That just goes to show how bad the voting by umpires can be.

Oliver probaby isn't the best player at Melbourne but to be fair Gawn was probably the best player in the league last year, so being second to him is no shame
All very fair comments and a respectable opinion. I have no doubt Oliver is nowhere near his peak, and may very well reach Cripps' heights in the future.

The bolded section that you've typed "Cripps is no doubt ahead when comparing these two players" is the main thing that we take issue with, when those other Melb fans try to claim otherwise. It is currently not close.

It is also not close that Clarry definitely started his career better than Cripps, and who knows where Oliver goes from there? He's probably had a better start to his career than any player since Selwood.

Before this year I thought it was close, but Cripps has gone up another level. The added responsibility of captaincy has done wonders for him.

Oliver missed a lot of handballs last night. The ones he did get to a teammate set them up for immediate tackles.

He's an accumulator no doubt, but has a long way to go.

Nah he was much better last year. His handballs were a thing of art, this year accumulator would be nice he's been downright horrible. Double shoulder recos in the pre season probably doesn't help.

This year it's not even close though. I've always though they are actually extremely similar players but even if they were dead level Cripps size makes him more dangerous.

Nah he was much better last year. His handballs were a thing of art, this year accumulator would be nice he's been downright horrible. Double shoulder recos in the pre season probably doesn't help.

This year it's not even close though. I've always though they are actually extremely similar players but even if they were dead level Cripps size makes him more dangerous.
Fair enough, he was a star last year no doubt and was reflected in Melbourne's dominance.

Seems the structures don't help either, Gawn is surrounded by Viney, Jones and Oliver at times. Toughest inside mid group along with Bulldogs, but where's the spread?

Back