Preview Round 5, 2019: Hawthorn v Geelong, 22 April 2019, 3.20pm @ MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
You'll see for yourself on monday with his half-arsed efforts to chase, his refusal to tackle and his chip kicks that go sideways and offer no value.

Not only that but he handballs to stationary targets and is awful under pressure.

He hasn't played a lock down role since 2017.

You obviously watch him more closely than me. But when he plays us, he generally takes the game on from half back, run and gun style. Perhaps that’s his mandate tomorrow.

You obviously watch him more closely than me. But when he plays us, he generally takes the game on from half back, run and gun style. Perhaps that’s his mandate tomorrow.

I know what the cat supporter is saying about Guthrie, slow brain to ball movements and makes some horrid decisions. He’s a bog average footballer.

Geelongs midfield isn't as amazing as people are saying it is. Dangerfield and Kelly are the A graders and Kelly cannot handle a tag as of yet in his career. Menegola and young Constable are the other 1st choice guys. Selwood has been used sparingly in there so far this year and Duncan is more your wingman. They have us beat with Dangerfield and Kelly but if we stop at least one I think our boys can at least make them honest in there. Howe will be a crucial player as he is the big body that can get in the way of quick ball out of the middle. Expect him to go to Kelly.

Geelongs midfield isn't as amazing as people are saying it is. Dangerfield and Kelly are the A graders and Kelly cannot handle a tag as of yet in his career. Menegola and young Constable are the other 1st choice guys. Selwood has been used sparingly in there so far this year and Duncan is more your wingman. They have us beat with Dangerfield and Kelly but if we stop at least one I think our boys can at least make them honest in there. Howe will be a crucial player as he is the big body that can get in the way of quick ball out of the middle. Expect him to go to Kelly.
I think you're confusing Menegola with Parfitt. Menegola hasn't played true midfield for two years. He's more your high half forward. With Constable out our midfield set-up will be Dangerfield, Kelly and Parfitt, with Selwood spending more time there and Ablett, Duncan and Guthrie rotating through.

Having lewis in provides relief on guys like rough and gunston plus rough can have stints in the middle like he did last week actually looked good when he's playing more up the grounnd. McEnvoy will have no problems playing majority ruck he's greatest strength is endurance so i expect at least 70-80% time in ruck with lewis helping out. Howe to tag danger and if danger goes fwd he can tag kelly that is howes major strength did it very well last year shutting down big gun mids while jaeger, worps and cousins to play offensive. I hope to see wingard play stints in the middle if he's fitness has improved, ideally he should be playing more time in the guts then rest up fwd, he has the potential to be a 25+ disposals while still kicking goals like he did latter part last year when he was at port but we may not see that yet. The key to winning this game is clean disposals and not allowing geelong to rebound from d50 easily if we can at least create pressure on the ball carrier when its in our 50 we can read the 50/50 balls better so our fwds need to put some pressure on geelong defence. Good luck to lewis just want him to play his role and i wouldn't be surprised if our fwds benefit because of his presence

I think you're confusing Menegola with Parfitt. Menegola hasn't played true midfield for two years. He's more your high half forward. With Constable out our midfield set-up will be Dangerfield, Kelly and Parfitt, with Selwood spending more time there and Ablett, Duncan and Guthrie rotating through.
We will have Roughie in their for periods. Now that we are playing Mitch Lewis we can afford to. Think we will try and bash and crash with as many big bodies as we can. We will rely on Worpel and Jaeger to make the influential contributions with Henderson and Cousins chipping in. We may have you on the outside if we can get both Smith and Scully having an impact. Isaac has been below par this year so it will help us if he can find a bit of form tomorrow. If Chad was more match fit we would swing him in there as well but it's probably a week too soon

My visions of Lewis are two-fold. 1) that cracking contested mark he took in JLT v Tiges, and 2) when he gassed in the 2nd half.

I'm hoping he's learned from that game, and worked on his tank, and his forward pressure at VFL.

Sure, he'll find the pace cracking tomorrow, but I just want to see him competing late in the 4th quarter. If he can do that, he'll keep his spot. The club is crying out for a key forward who can take a contested grab, and still compete at ground level late in games.

My visions of Lewis are two-fold. 1) that cracking contested mark he took in JLT v Tiges, and 2) when he gassed in the 2nd half.

I'm hoping he's learned from that game, and worked on his tank, and his forward pressure at VFL.

Sure, he'll find the pace cracking tomorrow, but I just want to see him competing late in the 4th quarter. If he can do that, he'll keep his spot. The club is crying out for a key forward who can take a contested grab, and still compete at ground level late in games.

From memory he only played for 3 qtrs in the jlt subbed out in the last, none the less looked impressive in that game actually looked quite quick for a big guy and looked to move the ball quickly either by hand or foot which impressed me the most but no doubt needs to work on his tank but alot to like

I don’t expect to win: to many outs esp TOM. Hoping to be competitive and see improvement from the younger players esp Cousins and Lewis, and Gunston to kick straight (pleeease), no injuries and reasonable umpiring (it is too much to ask for fair umpiring versus Selwood and Dangerfield).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2017 he ran a 7.40 odd 2km, he needed to get it down to 6.30 or so which I’m sure he has.. he has worked extremely hard on his fitness like all of the players and I think in the long term his capacity to gut run will be a big bonus for him.

I said it a while ago that his time is 2020 and beyond, but there’s no reason why he can’t he fast tracked if he adds enough value to the squad.

10 touches a goal (or maybe 2) and 5-6 marks would be a great outcome 🙏

Would take Parfitt in a heartbeat, tough bugger and has genuine footy nous

Would take Parfitt in a heartbeat, tough bugger and has genuine footy nous
Once he learns to take the first option and move forward with the ball rather than duck and weave backwards he could be anything. Right now he tries to do too much with the ball, but he's a very elusive and creative player.

So I’m actually heading tomorrow first game I’ve been able to get to for ages , really looking forward to it .

Like selection , think we have picked the best and most versatile side possible . Reads ok on paper too .

I’ll be going with low expectations and a bit of hope . Man for man they are a better side then us but far stranger things have happened.

I’m actually most worried about Danger playing forward , we really don’t have a match up for him there .
Midfield wise if we nearly break even that’s a big win for us IMO

I do think our forwardline can worry them but we really need decent entries and to get bang for buck every time we go in .

Hopefully we can be another big upset this round

In 2017 he ran a 7.40 odd 2km, he needed to get it down to 6.30 or so which I’m sure he has.. he has worked extremely hard on his fitness like all of the players and I think in the long term his capacity to gut run will be a big bonus for him.

I said it a while ago that his time is 2020 and beyond, but there’s no reason why he can’t he fast tracked if he adds enough value to the squad.

Let's not put to much presurre on him, numberwise! The alternative playing a 2nd ruck has not worked or had any influence on a game up fwd for us.

I'm just hoping he continues to improve and and breaks even in the contest.

To set some expectations he kicked 4 goals from 8 disposals the other week. 10 touches might be a big ask... let’s see how he goes before we start setting benchmarks for him. He has talent but it’s early days for his development.

The more I see the team, the more I’m looking forward to the game. Hawthorn always plays better against stronger teams than weaker ones and their worst disposals seem to be when they have no pressure on them. How many times have they forced a turnover and had multiple options to goal and dicked them all up. Under little pressure Rough drops sitters, Smith dribbles passes and Gunston and Bruest miss simple shots.

Geelong wont give them that luxury, the time to stuff around with it. They will force Hawthorn to take first option which isn’t a bad thing, it suits the firepower we have forward. Hopefully we’ll see little of that switch-switch-switch-bomb into 50 rubbish.

This will not be a close game....... cats easily.

I do know this:
1. We will make 2 flog defenders (Taylor and Blizavs) look like billionaire players
2. Danger will beat the crap out of our so called midfield by himself! If it was not for the 6-6-6 rule, the cats could play 3 extras in their forward line and Danger would walk it out of the square and have options a plenty.
3. Selwood will have a day out and have 10 free kicks by qtr time
4. Big Hawk will kick 6+
5. Sis will get 8 weeks for rubbing Abletts head....intentional, high contact to head and forceful rubbing!

I'm actually fearing the worst......Geelong pushing the 100 point flogging.

Hope I'm wrong!!

Big hawk??? It’s obvious you’re a Geelong troll

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back