FTA-TV Game of Thrones - season 8

Remove this Banner Ad

Well just last season Littlefinger, Olenna and Viserion all died. All pretty important characters.
Viserion’s barely a character and the other 2 were past their used by date.

Viserion’s barely a character and the other 2 were past their used by date.

I think it's pretty major revisionism to call Littlefinger past his use by date. The guy was one of the biggest characters in the show and would have been one of the favourites to make it to the final season.

Been rewatching the show from the start. It really helps to put things together as opposed to watching season by season with many months between each one. Some of it you can FF through knowing it's not really relevant now - such as Rob Stark extended sweet nothings with his battlefield nursey missus, pretty much all the Stanis stuff, or Jon Snow + plus Ygrittes (I've had a few), and Sparrows.

But a couple of things made me wonder.

Maester Aemon told us (talking to Jon Snow) that he was a Targaryen. He joined the Night's Watch with its celibacy vow but did he have any children before that? One theory I saw was that Craster was his son. So when Maester Aemon talks to Gilly (and Sam) at the end of S3 he's talking to his grand-daughter, and baby Sam is his great-grandson. Could be nothing, could be everything!

The Red Witch seemed very interested in Gendry's blood. It's an open secret that Gendry is Robert's bastard son. Melisandre put the three leeches on Gendry to draw his blood, including one on his gentleman sausage, then Stanis threw the leeches in the fire naming Rob Stark, Balon Greyjoy and Joffrey. They are all dead now but Melisandre might have unfinished business with Gendry. She wanted to sacrifice him for a greater purpose. If he's first born does he have a claim on the throne? Could be nothing, could be everything!

I think it's pretty major revisionism to call Littlefinger past his use by date. The guy was one of the biggest characters in the show and would have been one of the favourites to make it to the final season.
He spent the whole of his last season twiddling his thumbs and he was getting sloppy before that. I agree before his last season he’s looked like he’s make in season 7 it was a question of when not if.

The Red Witch seemed very interested in Gendry's blood. It's an open secret that Gendry is Robert's bastard son. Melisandre put the three leeches on Gendry to draw his blood, including one on his gentleman sausage, then Stanis threw the leeches in the fire naming Rob Stark, Balon Greyjoy and Joffrey. They are all dead now but Melisandre might have unfinished business with Gendry. She wanted to sacrifice him for a greater purpose. If he's first born does he have a claim on the throne? Could be nothing, could be everything!
There is a theory that Gendry is not the bastard son of Robert, but the legitimate son of Robert and Cersei. If this is the case, he’d would still be third in line after Jon then Dany for the throne.

There is a theory that Gendry is not the bastard son of Robert, but the legitimate son of Robert and Cersei. If this is the case, he’d would still be third in line after Jon then Dany for the throne.

I think it's interesting but unlikely. Surely people would have noticed that Cersei was pregnant? And why would she outcast her true born son and heir? She's consistent that she would do anything for her children. And she's had so many confessions but never touched on this.

I think it's interesting but unlikely. Surely people would have noticed that Cersei was pregnant? And why would she outcast her true born son and heir? She's consistent that she would do anything for her children. And she's had so many confessions but never touched on this.
I believe the theory cites Cersei telling a story of how she lost a dark haired boy in childbirth. The theory is that is Gendry.

I don’t buy into it, not enough time left in the series for things like that I think.

I’ll give you the pregnancy thing. But as Gendry was not Jaime’s, she did not care for him. Yes, she did everything for her children, but that’s because they were all the result of incest.
Its not unlikely for a drunk Robert to make Cersei pregnant.

This theory has cause from the scene with Ned, when he is referring to the hair colour of Joffrey from the book. The scene he realises that Joffrey is a product of incest.

If he's first born does he have a claim on the throne? Could be nothing, could be everything!
If Gendry is a bastard as we are led to believe, then he has no claim at all (not that he seems like he'd want to press one if he had it)

That's not how royal claims work.

If he were really the legitimate son of Robert and Cersei he'd be first in line to the throne. Robert Baratheon's claim was based on the Right of Conquest, not because he had a familial claim.

Jon's potential claim would not necessarily be any stronger than this theoretical Gendry claim, and he'd almost certainly need to win the throne back through conquest if he wanted to press his claim. Jon's claim is undoubtedly stronger than Dany's though

If Gendry is a bastard as we are led to believe, then he has no claim at all (not that he seems like he'd want to press one if he had it)

That's not how royal claims work.

If he were really the legitimate son of Robert and Cersei he'd be first in line to the throne. Robert Baratheon's claim was based on the Right of Conquest, not because he had a familial claim.

Jon's potential claim would not necessarily be any stronger than this theoretical Gendry claim, and he'd almost certainly need to win the throne back through conquest if he wanted to press his claim. Jon's claim is undoubtedly stronger than Dany's though
In the last episode, Sam did say that Jon was the rightful King of Westeros. So I’m assuming that the writers are forgoing the Baratheon linage as the present king; it’s what Dany’s whole storyline is based on, her being what was the rightful queen of Westeros due to be a Targeryn.

I’m also to understand that Robert’s claim to being king that was by defeating and killing all Targ’s he was next in line for the throne, otherwise, why not have Ned or Jaime (Kingslayer) as king. The fact that he thought Lyanna was kidnapped enraged him so much to go ahead with the plan.

I have it on good authority that after the white walker war, Cersei Lannister and Arya Stark team up to defeat Daenerys and John Snow returns to the North to supervise a sword making business. With the wealth acquired from the War , leading scientists of the day are hired to build a time machine, and here you see Cersei Lannister and Arya Stark in the future as socialite detectives.

got-premiere-afterparty-7.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

But Gendry is alive and well. It doesn't fit with a story of 'how she lost a dark haired boy in childbirth'.

Well, she's a known liar. And she could be referring to having birthed him and then having someone kill the baby afterwards.

But that theory has always been pretty crazy and meaningless. It's important enough that he is a Baratheon; he doesn't have to be a secret Lannister and legitimate heir to a usurper King anyway.

No Peter of the North #northreport?

Shame. Look forward to the recap

Shame
Shame
Shame
Shame
Shame
Shame
Shame
Shame

on me

6163ab74100c3a16322412033f04a582.jpg

I believe the theory cites Cersei telling a story of how she lost a dark haired boy in childbirth. The theory is that is Gendry.

I don’t buy into it, not enough time left in the series for things like that I think.
I took the 'twist' of that story as being that Cersei murdered her own child with Robert, rather than losing it in childbirth. The restraint to hide the baby doesn't seem like something she'd do.

Random season 1 question, did we ever find out what the deal was with the guy trying to stab Bran with Tyrion's dagger? Was Littlefinger behind it?

I can't remember exactly if they covered it in the show, but
in the books it's heavily implied (but not confirmed) that it was Joffrey who organised it to impress his father. Littlefinger saw an opportunity to create discord by claiming that the dagger was Tyrion's, but didn't have anything to do with the actual attempt on Bran's life

Remove this Banner Ad

Back