BBL Big Bash League Expansion Thread

What expansion teams should be added to the Big Bash League?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Essendon fans are the only fans in the AFL that can stand Docklands so maybe that is impacting your view?

Docklands is more expensive, with a worse viewing experience and harder to get to.
It's because we know we profit off of every game there :p. But even then we prefer playing more MCG than Docklands.

The best expansion of the BBL would be to New Zealand with two teams. Introducing teams from the North Island and the South Island from Auckland and Christchurch, would be best. This expansion would see an expansion the viewing public for the competition and expansion in the number of players able to be used in the competition with New Zealand players coming in as well.

No expansion. More teams equals more grade cricketers and a longer season. That is almost getting to the A League level of crapola.

No expansion. More teams equals more grade cricketers and a longer season. That is almost getting to the A League level of crapola.

The BBL certainly needs a rethink. It worked well when compressed into the school holiday period. It'll be interesting what C.A. come up with. I hope the promoter/media willy wonkers don't make it a sillier competition with more clubs & bells & whistles.

Keep It Simple Stoopids!!

The best expansion of the BBL would be to New Zealand with two teams. Introducing teams from the North Island and the South Island from Auckland and Christchurch, would be best. This expansion would see an expansion the viewing public for the competition and expansion in the number of players able to be used in the competition with New Zealand players coming in as well.
So you're saying a country which has zero teams all of a sudden deserves two teams? Christchurch's population of 370k naturally seems like a lower priority than the Gold Coast (600k) and Canberra (410k). Auckland (population of 1.6m and a suitable venue in Eden Park) could put forth a legitimate case for entry into the BBL but two NZ teams seems highly unlikely given the other options available. I think CA would like to add another team into the third largest market of Australia (south east QLD: population of 3.5m+) but are hesitant because of the Gold Coast's history of failed sporting franchises. That's why I believe they are giving other regional/smaller markets in Canberra and Geelong the opportunity to put forward a better case for expansion but ultimately their priority would be another team in south east Queensland if it proves to be a sustainable/thriving market for them.

The fact that NZ has never even hosted a single BBL game indicates to me that CA isn't overly interested in expanding there right now.

So you're saying a country which has zero teams all of a sudden deserves two teams? Christchurch's population of 370k naturally seems like a lower priority than the Gold Coast (600k) and Canberra (410k). Auckland (population of 1.6m and a suitable venue in Eden Park) could put forth a legitimate case for entry into the BBL but two NZ teams seems highly unlikely given the other options available. I think CA would like to add another team into the third largest market of Australia (south east QLD: population of 3.5m+) but are hesitant because of the Gold Coast's history of failed sporting franchises. That's why I believe they are giving other regional markets in Canberra and Geelong the opportunity to put forward a better case for expansion but ultimately their priority would be another team in south east Queensland if it proves to be a sustainable/thriving market for them.

The fact that NZ has never even hosted a single BBL game indicates to me that CA isn't overly interested in expanding there right now.

Given the relative failure of last seasons expanded competition games, I'm not so sure they'd be keen on adding any more teams as yet.

Given the relative failure of last seasons expanded competition games, I'm not so sure they'd be keen on adding any more teams as yet.
They've committed to a three year cycle on the Gold Coast and I think it's too early to say what their intentions would be at this stage. They need more data from each of the potential expansion markets they are trialing.

The idea to expand into NZ wouldn't be to increase attendance but more increase the standard as opposed to adding teams in Geelong and Canberra or anywhere else in Australia which would dilute the talent pool. Increasing the standard would hopefully keep people interested as opposed to last BBL.

I'm not 100 percent sure what they are trying to achieve by further expansion.
Removing games from Free to Air has the effect of reducing the enthusiasm of families of the game too.
The season definitely felt like it went on too long.
In 2017-18 we had 1,140,835 watch 43 games at 26,531 per match.
In 2018-19 we had 1,212,596 watch 59 games at 20,552 per match.
There were an extra couple games at smaller venues, but even so average crowds were way way down.
Hurricanes dominated and their average home crowds dropped from 13k to 11k.
Sydney Sixers down 7k from 24k to 17k
Those crowd numbers are damning.
Put on 16 more games to get 72,000 more people?
We also had a real issue with game quality.
With 8 teams and international cricket being on we had such top notch T20 players like Valente, Doggett, Swepson, Wildermuth, Gotch, Gulbis, Jack Edwards, Rainbird on display.
Pfft, they will put butts on seats.
And add more teams and it will just get worse.

I'm not 100 percent sure what they are trying to achieve by further expansion.
Removing games from Free to Air has the effect of reducing the enthusiasm of families of the game too.
The season definitely felt like it went on too long.
In 2017-18 we had 1,140,835 watch 43 games at 26,531 per match.
In 2018-19 we had 1,212,596 watch 59 games at 20,552 per match.
There were an extra couple games at smaller venues, but even so average crowds were way way down.
Hurricanes dominated and their average home crowds dropped from 13k to 11k.
Sydney Sixers down 7k from 24k to 17k
Those crowd numbers are damning.
Put on 16 more games to get 72,000 more people?
We also had a real issue with game quality.
With 8 teams and international cricket being on we had such top notch T20 players like Valente, Doggett, Swepson, Wildermuth, Gotch, Gulbis, Jack Edwards, Rainbird on display.
Pfft, they will put butts on seats.
And add more teams and it will just get worse.
Wildermuth and Swepson have played t20 cricket for Australia to be fair to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Behind Docklands complaints is often a MCG stadium member who really doesn't want to pay to get in.

Why do people always want North Island and South Island for New Zealand? There’s 3.7 million people on the North Island and 1.1 million on the South Island. Wellington is also bigger than Christchurch, not to mention it actually has a suitable venue.

I don’t feel like New Zealand is ever a suitable option. They’d want at least all their first class teams in the competition and they’d absolutely stink compared to the Australian teams.

Why do people always want North Island and South Island for New Zealand? There’s 3.7 million people on the North Island and 1.1 million on the South Island. Wellington is also bigger than Christchurch, not to mention it actually has a suitable venue.

I don’t feel like New Zealand is ever a suitable option. They’d want at least all their first class teams in the competition and they’d absolutely stink compared to the Australian teams.

I think the idea of amalgamating competitions is ridiculous, but so is the statement in bold.

I think the idea of amalgamating competitions is ridiculous, but so is the statement in bold.
I don't think it is tbh. The New Zealand first class system isn't great compared to the Australian despite the National teams being reasonably similar in ability imo (I still think its a case of home team wins).

I think they'd see two teams in our comp as an insult as would I tbh - four would be about right but only Auckland and Wellington have decent sized venues unless you think they'll leave temporary seating up at Hagley Oval is Christchurch all summer.

I don't think it is tbh. The New Zealand first class system isn't great compared to the Australian despite the National teams being reasonably similar in ability imo (I still think its a case of home team wins).

I think they'd see two teams in our comp as an insult as would I tbh - four would be about right but only Auckland and Wellington have decent sized venues unless you think they'll leave temporary seating up at Hagley Oval is Christchurch all summer.

Attendance isn't as bit an issue as TV audience though which is where the real money is.

Although COVID definitely had something to do with this, it's worth mentioning that 6 BBL games will be played at on the Gold Coast this season. Canberra is also getting 6 BBL games this season and Launceston is hosting 2. Geelong is getting none. To put that in perspective, regular venues like Adelaide Oval, The Gabba and Optus Stadium are only hosting 5 BBL games this season.

Is this purely COVID motivated or have Cricket Australia essentially made up their mind in terms of BBL expansion and want to go ahead with creating new franchises in Canberra and the Gold Coast in the near future? In terms of crowds each potential expansion city has pulled since the soft expansion period began three years ago, the Gold Coast has outperformed both Canberra and Geelong (by a decent amount) so it's not really surprising to see CA pushing for more games at Metricon Stadium this season.

I think Cricket Australia would know where they want to expand into by now and will only be stopped if we're unable to get the COVID situation under control.

I think New Zealand is the only option I'd consider but has many issues others have mention above.

One thing the BBL has at the moment is all teams are strong and viable. They need to try to stick to that model.

Teams who have won a title are untouchable.

Moe Stars. Or just ship the green peahearts off to Tassie and merge them with the Canes. Allows for a new 8th team, leading to a bidding war between the Canberra Astros and the Gold Coast Crush.

The hallowed turf of the mighty MCG should be reserved for first class and international cricket.

Back