Remove this Banner Ad

fake tyrone

Team Captain
Jun 15, 2012
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Warrington Wolves, ACF Fiorentina
As the title suggests, I'm thinking of pulling my money out of the Commonwealth Bank. Small things just keep going wrong and I have to keep going into the local branch to fix them up. I've deposited cash in the ATM that went missing and didn't reach my account, I've been charged account fees while still a uni student (when I turned 21 I was automatically charged $4 a month, no warning or inquiry as to whether I was still studying), I was charged an overdraft fee when I hadn't withdrawn too much money, last week I discovered that my mum still had 'authority' over my account and the staff member assisting told me it was something that should have been automatically removed when I turned 18, and finally, I made a withdrawal from Unibet which hasn't made my account (Unibet has sent me reference numbers to chase up Commbank with). The last 2 incidents have occurred in the last week and a half. It also seems that they want me to talk to their webchat bot or give them a call (and get put on hold) if I want to make a complaint when I'd rather send an email with the attachments from Unibet. Not sure if I'm just cracking the shits so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this sort of experience or whether this is a bit ridiculous from Commbank's end?

I already have an account with NAB but they're giving me the shits too, there are discrepancies on my account summary over how much money is in the account (net balance and credit balance on account summary page says x, net balance and credit balance on transactions page says y). I've heard good things about ING and RaboDirect and CUA look okay too, but I was wondering what do people on here recommend? I'm not a high-wage earner and am very slowly saving for a house and have some funds for a holiday or two. Preferably would like something that has good internet banking and semi-decent interest rates.

As the title suggests, I'm thinking of pulling my money out of the Commonwealth Bank. Small things just keep going wrong and I have to keep going into the local branch to fix them up. I've deposited cash in the ATM that went missing and didn't reach my account, I've been charged account fees while still a uni student (when I turned 21 I was automatically charged $4 a month, no warning or inquiry as to whether I was still studying), I was charged an overdraft fee when I hadn't withdrawn too much money, last week I discovered that my mum still had 'authority' over my account and the staff member assisting told me it was something that should have been automatically removed when I turned 18, and finally, I made a withdrawal from Unibet which hasn't made my account (Unibet has sent me reference numbers to chase up Commbank with). The last 2 incidents have occurred in the last week and a half. It also seems that they want me to talk to their webchat bot or give them a call (and get put on hold) if I want to make a complaint when I'd rather send an email with the attachments from Unibet. Not sure if I'm just cracking the shits so I'm wondering if anyone else has had this sort of experience or whether this is a bit ridiculous from Commbank's end?

I already have an account with NAB but they're giving me the shits too, there are discrepancies on my account summary over how much money is in the account (net balance and credit balance on account summary page says x, net balance and credit balance on transactions page says y). I've heard good things about ING and RaboDirect and CUA look okay too, but I was wondering what do people on here recommend? I'm not a high-wage earner and am very slowly saving for a house and have some funds for a holiday or two. Preferably would like something that has good internet banking and semi-decent interest rates.
By no means defending CBA, have worked at ANZ until recently so can offer some sort of insight...

Being charged fees once you turn 21 - happens due to the type of fee waiver loaded.. When you opened the account, they could apply either an "under 21" waiver or a "student" waiver, whichever they choose... looks like they just chose the wrong one. There's no notification at either end once the waiver has expired and it's left up to the consumer to request a new waiver if there's one available.

Depositing cash in ATM not going to your account.. appears to happen with all banks that allow ATM deposits from my experience, have heard complaints about all of the big 4 with this issue from both customers and ATM technicians from NCR who make & service the ATMs.

Overdraft fee thing happened to myself whilst working for the bank... hadn't overdrawn account at any point and was charged both a fee and debit interest where I shouldn't have. Doesn't make it right but happened at another bank so doubt changing banks solves this.

Unibet withdrawal going missing doesn't sound like CBA's fault at your end, it's either Unibet's processing error or you've given incorrect withdrawal info.. if they've processed a withdrawal to a certain BSB/acc and the details were correct it'd just hit your account without any input from your bank's end. Request for Unibet to place a trace on the transaction with their bank if you haven't already as there's not much your bank can do on this end far as I'm aware and if it's gone to someone else's account there's probably not a heap CBA can tell you due to privacy laws. Betting agencies do plenty of handballing back to banks acting as if it's someone else's fault.

I've got accounts with ANZ and ING and haven't got any complaints with either of them really aside from the overdraft mistake at ANZ.... ING painful if you need to deposit cash or a cheque as they don't have branches, ANZ harder to get fee waiver but either let them know you're a student and when you'll be finishing your studies and the waiver will expire once you finish uni. Once you finish studying and start working, if deposits totalling 2,000+ for the month hit your acct you won't be charged the fee either.

Hope that's some help..

By no means defending CBA, have worked at ANZ until recently so can offer some sort of insight...

Being charged fees once you turn 21 - happens due to the type of fee waiver loaded.. When you opened the account, they could apply either an "under 21" waiver or a "student" waiver, whichever they choose... looks like they just chose the wrong one. There's no notification at either end once the waiver has expired and it's left up to the consumer to request a new waiver if there's one available.

Depositing cash in ATM not going to your account.. appears to happen with all banks that allow ATM deposits from my experience, have heard complaints about all of the big 4 with this issue from both customers and ATM technicians from NCR who make & service the ATMs.

Overdraft fee thing happened to myself whilst working for the bank... hadn't overdrawn account at any point and was charged both a fee and debit interest where I shouldn't have. Doesn't make it right but happened at another bank so doubt changing banks solves this.

Unibet withdrawal going missing doesn't sound like CBA's fault at your end, it's either Unibet's processing error or you've given incorrect withdrawal info.. if they've processed a withdrawal to a certain BSB/acc and the details were correct it'd just hit your account without any input from your bank's end. Request for Unibet to place a trace on the transaction with their bank if you haven't already as there's not much your bank can do on this end far as I'm aware and if it's gone to someone else's account there's probably not a heap CBA can tell you due to privacy laws. Betting agencies do plenty of handballing back to banks acting as if it's someone else's fault.

I've got accounts with ANZ and ING and haven't got any complaints with either of them really aside from the overdraft mistake at ANZ.... ING painful if you need to deposit cash or a cheque as they don't have branches, ANZ harder to get fee waiver but either let them know you're a student and when you'll be finishing your studies and the waiver will expire once you finish uni. Once you finish studying and start working, if deposits totalling 2,000+ for the month hit your acct you won't be charged the fee either.

Hope that's some help..

Thanks for the response mate, appreciate the insight from the other side. I do really like Commbank's app (and its internet banking in general) and never had issues with customer service when at the branch. Thanks again.

Anyone with Bendigo? Thinking of switching, because they sponsor my kids sports team.

I srsly considered them for my mortgage when i bought my apartment. Got great customer service but what they were offering- well Commonwealth could do it better. So i stuck with Commonwealth who have been my bank my whole life. Am happy enough with them. They've waived my monthly account fees too + my yearly VISA fee.

FWIW too searching for mortgages- tried Bank of Melbourne who were complete assholes- terrible customer service. So hard to make an appointment with them too, so didnt bother in the end. Tried Bank of Queensland as well (have had term deposits with them) but got nervous about the terrible online reviews for them.

I have a savings account with ING and am thinking of getting an everyday account with them as well.

Anyone with Bendigo? Thinking of switching, because they sponsor my kids sports team.
Yes I switched to them from CBA and very happy with them good service and community support and better ethics

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back