Preview Gold Coast Suns vs Brisbane Lions Saturday 27 April 2019 - 1.45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Squizzy's strength is the way he joins up the side with his quick ball movement. We're missing that at the moment. It is something the likes of Cutler and Bastinac don't do as well.

If Rayner was to stay in the side (and I'd keep him in), I think he needs to play as the deepest forward instead of Charlie.

Yep we need to keep him out of the game. Sexton has 13 goals in 5 games. The next best is Wright and Swallow with 6 each from 5 games. Don't really know Sexton's strengths e.g. contested marking, agility, speed etc. Don't really know, Witherden hasn't bee great at defending, Robbo hasn't got good agility, maybe Hodge as he is the smartest of our lot. Or we could trial Gardiner on him.
Probably a pretty similar size to
M Robbo has some speed, very agile and can kick a goal from nothing and from anywhere. Marking isn’t his strength but very good once the ball hits the ground.
Is a very dangerous player!

Squizzy's strength is the way he joins up the side with his quick ball movement. We're missing that at the moment. It is something the likes of Cutler and Bastinac don't do as well.

If Rayner was to stay in the side (and I'd keep him in), I think he needs to play as the deepest forward instead of Charlie.

The problem is that his defensive pressure and contested footy is also an issue for our team at the moment.

I really like what Lewy Taylor brings to our team with his gut running to provide options. He needs to bring that gut running the other way as well, I did notice in the NEAFL last weekend he actually stuck a few tackles as well, I'd say it's one of the things he's been working on while in the reserves. I think his chance will come, he has to grab it.

Changes:
Wooler in for Andrews, McStay to backline (watched about 1.5 quarters of reserves game looks solid in air, covers the ground really well, and I think second back of 4 in 2/3 weeks?)
Cutler in for Mathieson (I think we are struggling to break the lines - Cutler does that with his kicking if not his run.)

Thoughts not recommendations:

Didn't watch enough of Thursday night to know but I'm guessing Christensen will come under some pressure. In game styles I would say Lewie Taylor might be a direct replacement (more on Taylor below)

I did see a stat early in 2nd quarter from Thursday from memory that we were down 18-3 in the hitouts. I would consider Archie Smith in for Martin based on that stat and past performances where Martin has struggled against the 'brute' rucks (like Witts). Wonder if anyone has thoughts on that?

Also I would assume over the next 3-4 weeks we'll consider resting Hodge (not this week after a 10 day break). Not sure what game makes the most sense for that, maybe the Dogs in Ballarat?

One thing about Lewy Taylor is he is a higher possession run and link player in midfield. For overall team balance I do wonder if we could use that sort of player as an extra option to run on the wing. NOTE: I'm not saying Taylor is a better player today or long term than the three guys I mention next but Raynor, McCarthy, Cameron are all lower possession getters and more individual doers inside 50 (over the last 2 weeks they've contributed a combined 3 goals 6 behinds, 8 tackles and 71 possessions). Not sure you can carry 3 players for the whole season average 12 possessions a game who you would expect to be offering some midfield support as well - unless they are all kicking 2 goals a game or absolute forward pressure terrors which they haven't been the last 2 weeks and I'm not sure they were super high pressure the first 3 wins either. and just to be clear not advocating or suggesting that any of those guys should be dropped this week. But something to watch over next few weeks.

I'm going to keep banging on the Answerth door until he gets a run, because I've been impressed with him since I first saw him live. Think Whiting is spot on with his proposal re Answerth and Cutler. Not sure about the other two though. I wouldn't complain about Eagles coming in for Harris tbh, but Wooller is probably knocking on the door if they decide to send McStay back to defence.

Yep we need to keep him out of the game. Sexton has 13 goals in 5 games. The next best is Wright and Swallow with 6 each from 5 games. Don't really know Sexton's strengths e.g. contested marking, agility, speed etc. Don't really know, Witherden hasn't bee great at defending, Robbo hasn't got good agility, maybe Hodge as he is the smartest of our lot. Or we could trial Gardiner on him.

Here's the list of G C goal kickers

screen-shot-2019-04-22-at-7-06-42-pm-png.659872

I don't disagree with you but it is now or never. Time to put him (and Cutler) in and see if they can improve on their weaknesses.

Would be better one at a time though so we're not left with 2 wingers who are poor defensively and in the contest. Also fairly average kicks.

I'm a Cutler fan, but will be disappointed if he comes in this week. Reward form, not numbers. Getting a lot of possessions, but at the moment, he couldn't hit water falling out of a boat. Continues to kick it 60m, but straight to the opposition.

Keays playing well, Answerth playing well. Both could get a run.

Don't really have anyone to bring in for Andrews though. Probably have no choice but to shift McStay back. Eagles in pretty poor form, so anyone suggesting him is probably speaking out of romance more than actual observation. Ballenden isn't ready, but may be the pick of the bunch at the moment if the coaches want to keep McStay forward.

Other option is to shift JLyons forward, see how he goes there. Might rediscover a bit of form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm a Cutler fan, but will be disappointed if he comes in this week. Reward form, not numbers. Getting a lot of possessions, but at the moment, he couldn't hit water falling out of a boat. Continues to kick it 60m, but straight to the opposition.

Don't really have anyone to bring in for Andrews though. Probably have no choice but to shift McStay back. Eagles in pretty poor form, so anyone suggesting him is probably speaking out of romance more than actual observation. Ballenden isn't ready, but may be the pick of the bunch at the moment if the coaches want to keep McStay forward.

Other option is to shift JLyons forward, see how he goes there. Might rediscover a bit of form.

We could probably just bring in Answerth for Andrews and play a smaller backline. Suns aren't that tall and we'll still have the option to switch McStay back.

Would be better one at a time though so we're not left with 2 wingers who are poor defensively and in the contest. Also fairly average kicks.

I can't agree on Cutler being an average kick - he was one of our best at delivering the ball inside 50 last year. I probably see Lewy spending more time at half-forward rather than on the wing, though obviously poor pressure there is still a problem.

I'm going to keep banging on the Answerth door until he gets a run, because I've been impressed with him since I first saw him live. Think Whiting is spot on with his proposal re Answerth and Cutler. Not sure about the other two though. I wouldn't complain about Eagles coming in for Harris tbh, but Wooller is probably knocking on the door if they decide to send McStay back to defence.

I don't think Eagles is necessary - at least this game. Wright is the only big threat really, and we already have Walker and Gardiner that can fill those roles if need be.

Agree re Answerth. I've been trying to get through the ressies games, almost finished the first two, and Answerth has some really good glimpses.

I'd be pretty disappointed if we moved McStay down back personally.

Cutler really didn't do that in the latest NEAFL game I thought - he was pretty good at finding targets inside 50 on a couple of occasions. Was quieter as the game went on but I thought he was close to best on ground in the first half.

I agree with jackess and abcde12345 that we just select a smaller backline and then have the option to move mcstay down back if need be. We have no need for another 200cm key defender this week. Against the Swans we might have to consider it but sounds like there is an outside chance Harris could get up for that game.

Taylor ran really hard both ways last season, he just wasn't very effective in most other aspects of the game. We're struggling with opposition outside players running back hard and deny us space, something we don't do enough of. Berry and Robinson on the wings is odd to so say the least.

Bastinac getting a go at the start of the season was probably a sign that we don't have a lot of faith in our wing options
We could probably just bring in Answerth for Andrews and play a smaller backline. Suns aren't that tall and we'll still have the option to switch McStay back.
I think we need to find the right matchup for Wright, Walker tends to get exposed on the more dangerous forwards and probably isn't big enough for that job either.

Cutler really didn't do that in the latest NEAFL game I thought - he was pretty good at finding targets inside 50 on a couple of occasions. Was quieter as the game went on but I thought he was close to best on ground in the first half.

I agree with jackess and abcde12345 that we just select a smaller backline and then have the option to move mcstay down back if need be. We have no need for another 200cm key defender this week. Against the Swans we might have to consider it but sounds like there is an outside chance Harris could get up for that game.
Happy to go smaller down back and keep McStay forward because I think that is where we can expose the suns weakness if we can get the ball forward quickly!

I can't agree on Cutler being an average kick - he was one of our best at delivering the ball inside 50 last year. I probably see Lewy spending more time at half-forward rather than on the wing, though obviously poor pressure there is still a problem.

He's a great kick but also a very bad kick. Really inconsistent but his kicking can be quite good.

Taylor ran really hard both ways last season, he just wasn't very effective in most other aspects of the game. We're struggling with opposition outside players running back hard and deny us space, something we don't do enough of. Berry and Robinson on the wings is odd to so say the least.

Bastinac getting a go at the start of the season was probably a sign that we don't have a lot of faith in our wing options

I think we need to find the right matchup for Wright, Walker tends to get exposed on the more dangerous forwards and probably isn't big enough for that job either.

All well and good but who? Eagles was poor defensively when he played and Ballenden doesn't seen too good either.

We might allow Wright and extra goal or too but we'd also get more run out of the backline which would set up a few goals.

All well and good but who? Eagles was poor defensively when he played and Ballenden doesn't seen too good either.

We might allow Wright and extra goal or too but we'd also get more run out of the backline which would set up a few goals.
Yep and as a team we have struggled more against the smalls this year, not the big boys.

I would like these changes, but I am not too fussed.

Out - Andrews, Matho, Bundy
In - Wooler (McStay back), Cutler and Squizz (for run) or Basti

I know Lewy hasn't set the world on fire in the ressies but he comes in on needs basis.

Keays, I dunno - just never seen anything that indicates he is up to it. Not sure we need any more mid sized forward / mids in the mix either, speed is a priority.. however, he averages 4 tackles a game which is better than what 80% of our team offers ATM, so if he wants to come in an do the hard stuff, pressure and tackle, I welcome him with open arms.

Shorter backline against the Suns is definitely an option.

Disagree RE Cutler though. I thought he got a lot of the ball against Aspley, and his offensive positioning was really good in the first half, but I rarely saw a kick come off. So many times they were either directly to the opposition, or to a contest favouring the opposition.

If I'm going to disagree with others, I should also put myself forward for criticism, so my changes (assuming injuries to Andrews and Mathieson) would be:

Andrews out for either Allison or Answerth, both of whom are playing some good footy.
Mathieson out for Bastinac (I wouldn't mind Tommy Berry, but one change to an inexperienced half back, could probably use a bit more experience in the mids. Also, Mathieson to Basti reduces our inside mids, which could allow JLyons to feel like it's his to dominate - a risk, but could kickstart him)
Christensen out for Ben Keays - I have long term question marks over him, but you have to reward form.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back