Life

Remove this Banner Ad

Life is alright, I dunno, I'd rather be here than not but it's pretty easy to feel very very isolated, alienated, and lacking reward and purpose. I just have one of those outlooks, that disposition. I could have what I want and still find it to be s**t.

Life is alright, I dunno, I'd rather be here than not but it's pretty easy to feel very very isolated, alienated, and lacking reward and purpose. I just have one of those outlooks, that disposition. I could have what I want and still find it to be s**t.
What do you want to do as a career?

What do you want to do as a career?
Nothing. I've been paid to do things I like and it becomes a chore and I give it up. Someone I worked with years ago became high-up at the ******* NME. Coulda been me.

I never used to use emojis now I throw out the shrugging shoulders one all the time. Guess that sums it up.

Life is good, no, it's great, when you're having plenty of sex, you have leisure money to burn, and you have a network of real friends (quality not quantity).

This is all that matters. Because when you have those things, everything is fine, life is dandy, you feel you have meaning/purpose, a reason to live.

There isn't a person who is missing out on those three things who genuinely perceives life as good. As humans, that is all you are....the corporeality of "you". Money, sex, connection with others.

Doing a job you enjoy is great. Until you get that co worker you must work with that is hard to please on anything and thus saps the enjoyment out of you. And you just have to be like whatever.

Doing a job you enjoy is great. Until you get that co worker you must work with that is hard to please on anything and thus saps the enjoyment out of you. And you just have to be like whatever.

I quit a warehouse job ten years ago because I didn't like the manager and he made some days hell to be working there and for my last week he was away on holidays and I was like "hmm this job isn't so bad after all!"

Life is good, no, it's great, when you're having plenty of sex, you have leisure money to burn, and you have a network of real friends (quality not quantity).

This is all that matters. Because when you have those things, everything is fine, life is dandy, you feel you have meaning/purpose, a reason to live.

There isn't a person who is missing out on those three things who genuinely perceives life as good. As humans, that is all you are....the corporeality of "you". Money, sex, connection with others.

No it sucks because those 3 things are the hardest in the world to obtain. Everyone pushes their own agenda costs (whatever your are) go up and up and anything else is impossible.

Is it wrong that we place a premium on "hard work"? Where people like The Rock or any other "inspirational" person is yelling at you to "go get it" and that all you need to achieve your dreams is to work your absolute backside off and it will inevitably happen?

I really feel for the next generation of kids, with all the self improvement and be the best you can messages rammed down their throat through social media how many of these kids are going to reach their late twenties and think they're an absolute failure because they work an office/warehouse/supermarket for minimum wage?

I'm sure we all know someone who is well into their life that works at the local IGA or behind the counter of the local Post Office who is always happy and cheery and just genuinely has an appearance of being content and appreciative of what they're doing?

For those who swallow the lie of low unemployment levels I hope that your children are able to get a leg up. I know so many kids coming out of University now that can't even get close to their field of expertise and are falling into despair.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is it wrong that we place a premium on "hard work"? Where people like The Rock or any other "inspirational" person is yelling at you to "go get it" and that all you need to achieve your dreams is to work your absolute backside off and it will inevitably happen?

I really feel for the next generation of kids, with all the self improvement and be the best you can messages rammed down their throat through social media how many of these kids are going to reach their late twenties and think they're an absolute failure because they work an office/warehouse/supermarket for minimum wage?

I'm sure we all know someone who is well into their life that works at the local IGA or behind the counter of the local Post Office who is always happy and cheery and just genuinely has an appearance of being content and appreciative of what they're doing?

For those who swallow the lie of low unemployment levels I hope that your children are able to get a leg up. I know so many kids coming out of University now that can't even get close to their field of expertise and are falling into despair.
I think I am a failure. I can barely get work and the work I have isn’t terrible, but it’s 15 hours a week. The only benefit is its close to my house and I get these 15 minute windows of downtime where I can post on Bigfooty... but I feel embarrassed of myself, generally around older people who don’t understand how the world works.

Speaking of which, the world and how it works now is a big reason why a lot of young people probably feel low about themselves. This world isn’t getting better. Employment isn’t getting better. You don’t ‘make money’ anymore, you just get to pay rent and bills.

I probably won’t ever get to have a family because I can’t afford it.

There’s a lot to be said about how much that affects your mentality. For men and women. It’s part of our nature to want to have a place to inhabit, a family to make and nurture. It’s part of us. It’s hard throwing out thousands of years of evolution and your most basic instincts.

No wonder testosterone is going down and development ages are all over the place.

The only people who believe in this archaic notion of working hard and being rewarded are imbeciles down at F45 being paid $18 an hour for nine hour work days that’s mostly paper work and handing out flyers. Not jacking off or getting jacked or whatever. That, and Baby Boomers.

Working hard is just a con sold to us by companies. So we accept their pitiful wages and working conditions. ‘Oh if I do unpaid overtime and don’t complain about my boss being a campaigner and my company being faceless, I’ll be a manager one day!’ Yeah nah doesn’t happen like that. Hard work is just an illusion to keep working.

"hard work" fine in the abstract. However, if your parents are loaded or you went to an APS school (or your state's equivalent) or you vote Liberal, probably best to quietly nod your head and not draw too much attention to yourself when it comes up.

Last edited:
Those people who have contacts and talk about hard work believe it because they get jobs.

Working class or plain old poor people are mystified by the concept but in a sadder way... because... nothing comes of it but cyclically keeping your head above water.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I'm retired now but I was never career minded when it came to work, I was in reasonably well paid work and had a couple of moderately successful small businesses but the family was always the priority, work was a means to get enough money to live reasonably comfortably.

The truth is that most people will end up in dead end mind numbing jobs, you just have to make the best of it, it's a total crock of s**t that we can all become self made entrepreneurial success stories, the capitalist/consumer based society that we live in requires serfs.

What is ‘working hard?’

Shovelling coal, cleaning the toilets at Perth Underground on the weekend is much harder than being an accountant or a lawyer.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
You can look at it a few different ways I guess, whilst cleaning toilets or being a labourer are no doubt physically harder they are without doubt a lot easier on the mind. If you're a lawyer you will no doubt be taking work home with you at most stages, if you're a cleaner you're just clocking on, cleaning toilets and then going home.

As with most jobs, it's only once you get to the top that you can enjoy the fruits of your effort. Flexibility, holidays and the money to actually live comfortably. How many people actually get to the top though?

I know that the only way I am going to be moderately wealthy whilst having the flexibility to be able to enjoy any potential wealth is to own my own business. It's as simple as that. Now getting the capital to establish and carry a business whilst in its infancy is something that could almost certainly cost me my relationship and the potential of having a family.

What good is all the money in the world when you have no one to share it with?
Well, it's even harder to share something that you don't have.

I despair for youth lost, opportunity lost, love lost, a life not well lived, poor choices, hurt caused..... a facade of a man lacking substance.

I don't have a problem with lacking substance. It conveys upon me numerous advantages, especially in tactical battles.

You can look at it a few different ways I guess, whilst cleaning toilets or being a labourer are no doubt physically harder they are without doubt a lot easier on the mind. If you're a lawyer you will no doubt be taking work home with you at most stages, if you're a cleaner you're just clocking on, cleaning toilets and then going home.

As with most jobs, it's only once you get to the top that you can enjoy the fruits of your effort. Flexibility, holidays and the money to actually live comfortably. How many people actually get to the top though?

I know that the only way I am going to be moderately wealthy whilst having the flexibility to be able to enjoy any potential wealth is to own my own business. It's as simple as that. Now getting the capital to establish and carry a business whilst in its infancy is something that could almost certainly cost me my relationship and the potential of having a family.

What good is all the money in the world when you have no one to share it with?
Well, it's even harder to share something that you don't have.
How is cleaning spew and s**t better for your mental health? Probably less ‘stressful’ but hugely demeaning. The paltry pay and bad hours just compound how depressing it would be.

Cleaners don't take work home with them but they're starting at 6am or finishing at 11pm. If they've been hired in the last at least decade it's not even a full time job which really makes it a s**t job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back