Preview Gold Coast Suns vs Brisbane Lions Saturday 27 April 2019 - 1.45 pm

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out: Andrews (injured), Matho (injured and will come back through the 2s), JLyons (dropped)
In: Answerth, Cutler/Taylor (outside run), ESmith/CLyons/Bastinac (balanced inside mid)

Go smaller down back. Gardiner can play tall and we can switch McStay if required. For Matho and JLyons bring in one more balanced inside mid and one who will provide some run and carry and move JBerry into more of an inside role.

If I'm going to disagree with others, I should also put myself forward for criticism, so my changes (assuming injuries to Andrews and Mathieson) would be:

Andrews out for either Allison or Answerth, both of whom are playing some good footy.
Mathieson out for Bastinac (I wouldn't mind Tommy Berry, but one change to an inexperienced half back, could probably use a bit more experience in the mids. Also, Mathieson to Basti reduces our inside mids, which could allow JLyons to feel like it's his to dominate - a risk, but could kickstart him)
Christensen out for Ben Keays - I have long term question marks over him, but you have to reward form.

This all looks pretty sensible, if this were the way it went down, I wouldn't be mad.

I haven't been this interested in selections for 5 years.

I also haven't been this interested in a performance in 5 years. Not as excited for a game, there's just pure intrigue as to how we will regorup and respond. might sound like a big call.

Sure, last weeks build up was huge, but it was more about "how will we handle the occasion", "what will the sort turn around do".. etc, it was all a bit out of the ordinary.

This week, we go back to total normality. It honestly feels like this is a major cross roads, do we respond and arrest this ugly trend? or do we continue with this nervous, unaccountable footy?

we will know after 5 minutes IMO, last week the first 2-3 clearances went straight to Collingwood, no tackles, straight out of the middle to an easy lead - you just knew we had shat the bed from the first bounce. I am really hoping that we come out with fire in our belly or ill be mightily concerned.

Sometimes nerves make players look reactionary, which looks exactly like not trying, which fans confuse for a lack of care. That is 100% happening with our Guys ATM, they care too much if anything. But.. the one art in footy that doesen't rely on talent or form is the tackle. with the amount of numbers and congestion around the ball, there is no excuse for the despicable tackle and pressure numbers we are putting up, you can always go out and get yourself 3-4 tackles, but blokes are not interested.

I would love to see that changed on the weekend, we tackle, we win. Simple as that.

I know one thing for sure.... if we are as poor this weekend as we have been the last 2 weeks there will be a few ins and outs on the team sheet for the Swans game.

On notice IMO- Alex Witherden, Daniel McStay, Jarryd Lyons, Allen Christensen.

No excuses this week for the boys.

Do Eric's jumpers get tailor made? Would look like a dress on me. So long and skinny.

Cutler and Taylor are the only two in the NEAFL who have what we're lacking right at this moment so I'd be swabbing the selectors if we don't play them. Bastinac is the only other one I'd consider as smallish replacements

Lots of promising players such as Wooler , Ballenden and Fullarton if you need a tall. Eagles I would prefer over any of them just at the moment because you know he'll try for a bit of run and give it a red hot go . I don't think he's any more liable to make mistakes than the 3 aforementioned in their first game . And we need to win this one

Every time a player is mooted for a call up people say he can't do this or that ,defend ,tackle,kick , whatever Well every player has deficiencies,including the players already in . It's a matter of what your best option is . We need a bit of pace and run so that's what I'd be looking for.

Calls to drop so many players is lunacy, thats not how you build combination.

We are very susceptible to the fast break, Essendon is a really bad match up for us and Collingwood isnt much better. I dont see the same issues with GC, but I hope somebody wears Ainsworth close.

If we control contested ball and clearances and stop turning it over 2 times in every three we should get there. Bailey being out is a bigger loss than people think
We are 14th in the competition for contested possessions - too soft. This is where we will either lose or win it.

Things I want to see from this game:

1. Our players need to stop being moths to a flame. Too often we either have 4 guys trying to takle the player with the ball or the same number of players all trying to extract it.
2. Steph Martin needs a big game. Has played like absolute s**t the last fortnight and we need a lift from a senior, experienced leader who is supposed to be a top 5 ruckman.
3. Defencive decision making. Witho and Gardiner look horrendous right now. Totally down on confidence.
4. Smarter I50 entries. Too many bombs into our forward 50 that the Pies just waltzed out.

Here's the list of G C goal kickers

screen-shot-2019-04-22-at-7-06-42-pm-png.659872
Without Harris I think we should be very worried about Peter wright

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just on Squizzy, it's hard to set the world on fire when you've spent a few games as
Without Harris I think we should be very worried about Peter wright

We won games against better forward lines without Dad last year. I think our backs can cope.

We are 14th in the competition for contested possessions - too soft. This is where we will either lose or win it.
In the first three weeks our clearance work and cp was much better, but when the wheels fall off....

Interested to see if an E.Smith debuts.

Massive danger game. Their pressure will be right up first quarter, I'd have Zorko, Lyons and Robinson in the middle, increased minutes in the first to try and match them. Charlie struggles without space and our forwards aren't the best in the league at taking contested marks, so I'm a bit worried how they will go with numbers back. Need lots of goals from the midfield I think. Cutler could be important.
Hoping the game goes the same way as the Adelaide game (obviously), if it turns into a slog we have seen that they know how to win.

Massive danger game. Their pressure will be right up first quarter, I'd have Zorko, Lyons and Robinson in the middle, increased minutes in the first to try and match them. Charlie struggles without space and our forwards aren't the best in the league at taking contested marks, so I'm a bit worried how they will go with numbers back. Need lots of goals from the midfield I think. Cutler could be important.
Hoping the game goes the same way as the Adelaide game (obviously), if it turns into a slog we have seen that they know how to win.
Your not starting Neale in the middle?

If we can add some pace and increase our pressure around the ground, I think that'll go a long way.

A few of our mids also need to lift.

While the Suns have played some good footy, their effort and pressure has played a big part in their wins. If we can match them in effort and pressure I think we can grind them out over 4 quarters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back