#21 - Braydon Preuss - Dropping bombs from outside 50 cause that's what ruckmen do

Remove this Banner Ad

Traded in and traded out are different though. Only reason we traded Jolly and Simmons out was lack of opportunity, because we had so many other good rucks.

Both were very capable AFL rucks, Jolly a gun but other clubs just plucked them away. Losing Jolly was a blow for us.
But that's my point, we didn't get great deals for either. Clubs benefited from our development.

Anyway I had my say, next time you see G2B throw some eggs at him

With a possession control, kick-mark style of game. We'd need to implement a seismic shift in the way we play if we want to go that tall too.
Is it that much taller than we are now? Seems like it's adding 1 tall.

Lever is hardly a 'tall' and May would be replacing..um..I don't know who May kicks out, I'm guessing Frost? Is May taller than Frost?

Is it that much taller than we are now? Seems like it's adding 1 tall.

Lever is hardly a 'tall' and May would be replacing..um..I don't know who May kicks out, I'm guessing Frost? Is May taller than Frost?

It's not a huge change to our overall list but really depends on how committed we are to playing certain guys week in, week out.

Remember we typically went with a two tall forwards option in the latter part of the year - Weid was only in because Hogan was out. If we add Preuss and May but remove Frost and a random mid-sized player that's a shift in how we'll move around the ground.

The thread title is actually wrong, we got the 4th round pick, not North.

I remember thinking at the time North were more likely to win this trade than us, but those thoughts have changed quite a bit. Preuss will be a good role-player for us while Tyson is still turning the ball over in the VFL.

The May trade is looking disastrous though.

I remember thinking at the time North were more likely to win this trade than us, but those thoughts have changed quite a bit. Preuss will be a good role-player for us while Tyson is still turning the ball over in the VFL.

May trade looked disastrous from the start. Can fathom getting 6 and 23 for Hogan, can't fathom giving up pick 6 for May (forget KK, steak knives). Like there's no way any club finishes 13th and trades pick 6 for May, the only reason we did it is because we managed to convince ourselves it was a swap for Hogan (which is in itself ridiculous). Even if he comes back fully fit next year we're traded pick 5 for a slightly above average 28yo key defender. Would desperately be wanting to win a flag while he's at the club.

So it is, I never noticed that ... fixed now.

May trade looked disastrous from the start. Can fathom getting 6 and 23 for Hogan, can't fathom giving up pick 6 for May (forget KK, steak knives). Like there's no way any club finishes 13th and trades pick 6 for May, the only reason we did it is because we managed to convince ourselves it was a swap for Hogan (which is in itself ridiculous). Even if he comes back fully fit next year we're traded pick 5 for a slightly above average 28yo key defender. Would desperately be wanting to win a flag while he's at the club.
I think May is quality but at his age we were banking on him bringing us a flag in the next two years. Just look at how much Hibberd has fallen away at 29 after being AA two years ago. The only way this trade can be Salvaged is if we win a flag and May goes close to a Norm Smith. I don't care if he comes back and plays 2.5 years of good footy with us if there's no flag to show for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think May is quality but at his age we were banking on him bringing us a flag in the next two years. Just look at how much Hibberd has fallen away at 29 after being AA two years ago. The only way this trade can be Salvaged is if we win a flag and May goes close to a Norm Smith. I don't care if he comes back and plays 2.5 years of good footy with us if there's no flag to show for it.

Thats pretty bad logic.
So then Jones was a failed draftee as was the Vince trade as was taking Jetta again as a rookie etc.

If we don't play finals with May on the list it's a failure. One player doesn't make the difference

Thats pretty bad logic.
So then Jones was a failed draftee as was the Vince trade as was taking Jetta again as a rookie etc.

If we don't play finals with May on the list it's a failure. One player doesn't make the difference
Don't play dumb on purpose, it was a pretty obvious point to interpret. Making a huge overs trade for May is obviously going to be judged by different criteria than any of those other moves which were relatively low risk and all achieved their aims.

Don't play dumb on purpose, it was a pretty obvious point to interpret. Making a huge overs trade for May is obviously going to be judged by different criteria than any of those other moves which were relatively low risk and all achieved their aims.

The biggest risk is doing ******* nothing. Accumulating draft picks is how s**t clubs like us stay s**t.
Lake trade, McEvoy, Mitchell, Omeara, Burgoyne etc and various stages were all called failures.

4 years from now you can judge the trade

The biggest risk is doing ******* nothing. Accumulating draft picks is how s**t clubs like us stay s**t.
Lake trade, McEvoy, Mitchell, Omeara, Burgoyne etc and various stages were all called failures.

4 years from now you can judge the trade
Coming off a year like 2018 it's hardly 'accumulating draft picks' when we hadn't had a first rounder since 2015. Not like it's 2009 again and we needed to trade a top 6 pick for a 27yo to save the club. Good clubs also continue to add young talent when they can to strong development systems in order to stay good.

Coming off a year like 2018 it's hardly 'accumulating draft picks' when we hadn't had a first rounder since 2015. Not like it's 2009 again and we needed to trade a top 6 pick for a 27yo to save the club. Good clubs also continue to add young talent when they can to strong development systems in order to stay good.

Yeah because Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn are stacked with
Top 10 picks

Thats pretty bad logic.

Apple's and oranges though.

Jones has given us 300 games. Vince cost a second rounder and gave us 100 games, Jetta cost nothing.

My point is if you pay pick 6 for a 27 year old, you'd be wanting more than just 50 odd solid games before retiring.

If he's still playing elite footy at 33 and we've had success with him as a pillar, then the trade is a success. But I don't foresee that happening.

Yeah because Geelong, Sydney and Hawthorn are stacked with
Top 10 picks
You have to be taking the piss. Geelong and Hawthorn both won the flag with a stack of first round picks, and there's no way either one rose up as far as they did without those players in the side building them up to be consistent performers. I don't recall either club making a trade as stupid as the May one before they'd won a bunch of premierships either. Just because several years later they've slowed down on drafting a little bit it doesn't make it a good comparison to us still at the very start who can afford to take time investing in our list profile. Geelong drafted Selwood in 2006 and Rioli in 2007 and won flags the following years with both playing crucial roles.

You have to be taking the piss. Geelong and Hawthorn both won the flag with a stack of first round picks, and there's no way either one rose up as far as they did without those players in the side building them up to be consistent performers. I don't recall either club making a trade as stupid as the May one before they'd won a bunch of premierships either. Just because several years later they've slowed down on drafting a little bit it doesn't make it a good comparison to us still at the very start who can afford to take time investing in our list profile. Geelong drafted Selwood in 2006 and Rioli in 2007 and won flags the following years with both playing crucial roles.

Right and we have another first round pick next year to satisfy you campaigners.

We have plenty of first ******* rounders. Oliver Petracca Lever Weideman Brayshaw Salem etc. If we can't develop them into stars then adding one more 18 year old won't make * all difference

Apple's and oranges though.

Jones has given us 300 games. Vince cost a second rounder and gave us 100 games, Jetta cost nothing.

My point is if you pay pick 6 for a 27 year old, you'd be wanting more than just 50 odd solid games before retiring.

If he's still playing elite footy at 33 and we've had success with him as a pillar, then the trade is a success. But I don't foresee that happening.

Right but you've named the worst case scenario.

Best case scenario he is a key pillar in defence in multiple finals series allowing Lever to star.

Point is 5 games is way too early to ******* melt.

Right and we have another first round pick next year to satisfy you campaigners.

We have plenty of first ******* rounders. Oliver Petracca Lever Weideman Brayshaw Salem etc. If we can't develop them into stars then adding one more 18 year old won't make **** all difference
And of course the logical opposite situation is trading for a mediocre full back. I have no problem with trading first rounders, I just don't agree with trading them for the sake of it. Fremantle traded pick 6 and got Jesse Hogan. We could have done better.

Right but you've named the worst case scenario.

Best case scenario he is a key pillar in defence in multiple finals series allowing Lever to star.

Point is 5 games is way too early to ******* melt.
Man you are ******* prolific at the moment! Are you layed off work, or snowed in or something?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back