Preview Changes R6 v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Fair to say on the body of evidence this season, Masten is playing a new role and he is not getting much of the ball.

The AFL competition and rules committee put in place new rules to eliminate the runners on the field taking up space, barking out instructions and pointing.

That is the role I see Masten play so why is he not wearing a Pink Vest?

1555982112215.png

1) Vardy out for Brooksby. Vardy's clearance and tap-work hasn't been AFL standard and he is offering very little around the ground. Got to do something different against the Cats or their midfield will smash ours. The Allen pinch hit in the ruck option could also work but I reckon the big bodied Brooksby is primed

2) OAllen out for XXX. I don't really know who replaces Allen but we cant persist with three key forwards crowding each other and offering little defensive pressure to lock the ball in. We are at our best when we can set up a press but we haven't been able to do that, so the IN is whoever we think will apply the most defensive pressure. *Also Cripps has absolutely sucked ever since his three goal opening quarter against Collingwood. He only stays because we have no better options, but would want to watch himself when Rioli comes back.

3) Masten out for either M Allen or Ainsworth with Gaff taking Masten's wing. Our contested game is among the worst in the league at the moment and while that can be a sign that our possession game is working, the Port game demonstrated that we don't win enough contested footy when we need too. Masten's one attribute is outrunning his opponent to pick up outlet possessions, but if he doesn't find that space he's a liability. Gaff will kill it out there on a wing and have the added bonus of allowing Sheen to play in his best position.

Early forecast for Geelong FWIW:
Max. 18 degrees; Medium (40%) chance of showers; 0-1mm of rainfall; Winds westerly 25 to 35 km/h.

With it a possibility to rain we have a few choices:

Drop a tall forward ( Oscar Allen) and still play two rucks. I would be also dropping Vardy as he is in horrible form.

Masten is out form and think for midfield balance i want to see how he goes. Venables has been putrid in the WAFL but i think his attributes in the forward line are something we miss.

Out: Allen , Vardy, Masten
In: Ah Chee, Keegan,Venables

Hurn Schofield Shep
Jetta Gov Duggan

Redden Sheed Gaff

Ah Chee Darling Pet
Ryan JK Ryan

Ruck: Hickey Shuey Yeo

Bench: Keegan, Hutchings, Cole, Venables

Play with one less ruck ( Vardy) and use Oscar and Ah Chee as pinch hitters.

Out: Vardy, Masten
In: Ah Chee,Venables

Hurn Schofield Shep
Jetta Gov Duggan

Redden Sheed Gaff

Ah Chee Darling Pet
Ryan JK Ryan

Ruck: Hickey Shuey Yeo

Bench: Allen, Hutchings, Cole, Venables

Take Gaff out of guts goes to wing and Masten is out.

Sheed goes into the guts, MAllen is a bench rotation as an inside mid and can easily play a roaming HFF same as Menagola.

You are over thinking things.

That makes us better.

Also Rotham should come in, good matchup on Danger and Rohan when they play deep forward.

Out Vardy, Masten, Schofield
In Rotham, MAllen, Cameron/Ah Chee

Oscar swings back

All the ins add pace and are agile for their height. Two debutaunts brings in energy that we thrived on last year.
I like this. Am going to stick up for my fellow debutant Rotham.

Only 21 but has had WAFL apprenticeship and fits anywhere in the defensive structure and only enhanced the team in his two games. Agile and versatile, intercepting the ball and kicking a goal of a couple of steps in the Peel practice match.:thumbsu:

We are tad too tall which is obvious last year our forward line and JD and JK and 5 smalls Cripps, Ryan, Rioli, Venners and Lecras.

This year we are playing an extra tall, I would move Oscar Allen to the ruck/forward and drop Vardy
We cannot fit Masten, Sheed and Gaff all in the same team - Masten goes, Sheed before the derby was in hot form. Hence Masten out and either Matt Allen or Josh Smith in.
Barrass will miss a few weeks so Schofield stays

Then for now Masto goes for another forward, Gaff, Yeo, Shuey, Redden and SHeed can carry the load and Hutch tags Kelly.

Surely on current form the 2 obvious outs are vardy and masto? I really hope we stick with allen as he has shown a lot in all his games bar port.

Im starting to think until nic nat is back we simply roll with 1 ruck and let allen pinch hit. And i would be going back to our structure from last year and dropping the extra mid.

Outs: Vardy Masten
Ins: 2 small forwards

Tough call on the ins but 2 of ah chee, venables, mallen should come into the team in my view

(Log in to remove this ad.)

On current form I’d be dropping Masto and Kennedy for sure. Masto is Masto and JK is so badly out of fitness and touch he needs a game in the magoos to get some of that back.

Oscar and JD can play the tall roles, bring in MAllen or Archee for some pace and ball winning across half forward, shift Gaff to Mastos wing and put Sheed back to his inside role from last year. Drop Schoey and bring back Rotham.

Early forecast for Geelong FWIW:
Max. 18 degrees; Medium (40%) chance of showers; 0-1mm of rainfall; Winds westerly 25 to 35 km/h.
Wind speed and direction was this on Saturday at 1.00pm for the 2nds.

Just occurred to me that one reason Geelong boy Brander played so well and accurate with goal kicking in the 2nds was that he's been playing in Geelong wind conditions for years and it wasn't so difficult for him.

Might be a good game to get him in the team for the Geelong game.

I reckon the Port game has shown us that Simmo doesn't have the cattle to fit into his winning game plan of last season, and it pretty much stems from how he's using the ruck, and how that's not performing to the same level it was last season.

For mine, drop Vardy and Masto for Mallen and Arch. The former is being helped out by Oallen, so is he really needed? With the later, DV18 got dropped for lack of form compared to last season, Masto... you're up.

I reckon the Port game has shown us that Simmo doesn't have the cattle to fit into his winning game plan of last season, and it pretty much stems from how he's using the ruck, and how that's not performing to the same level it was last season.

For mine, drop Vardy and Masto for Mallen and Arch. The former is being helped out by Oallen, so is he really needed? With the later, DV18 got dropped for lack of form compared to last season, Masto... you're up.
Or are the big deficiency in clearances because Sam Mitchell isn't coaching the mids this year?:think:

Yeah I’m not happy with Vards at all. Give hickey the challenge of tucking majority of the game and use Oscar as a back up.

Honestly Matty Allen is perfect for us atm as he’s bull and he will help when he sent on ball but can genuinely play as forward and HFF as he has the craft to do so. I actually like the idea of him being HFF as he does have a booming/classy left boot to match his endurance.

Also Simmo is missing Lecca being that plus one at stoppages for us. I can see Allen doing that for us as he is genuinely a beast that can win his own ball or cause a repeat stoppage, but he can also distribute the ball if he is fed.

We need to be a bit ruthless and try going small.

Not saying he’ll be as good as Mundy but can see Matty Allen being a bit like a Mundy, in the sense that for big bodied mid, he’ll probably not be that crash and bash sort(like Fyfe/Cripps) but more creative and more skill full like Mundy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back