Life

Remove this Banner Ad

It's unskilled work, it's unstable and it's cleaning so it's a dirty job. That doesn't make it harder work than accounting or lawyering, which have higher entry barriers, more responsibility, and more expectations for completing work at home.

I don't think "hard work" alone is going to cut it in the work force, especially for the generation finishing school and university now. The potential of artificial intelligence, machine learning, etc. and even just computers in general means corporations need to ask whether their worth is better for the balance sheet or just buying machines.

Who cares if you're a great check-out attendant - whether that's because you're a fast scanner or a great person to chat with - people would much rather use the self check-out anyway. Sure there's still people stacking shelves, but for supermarkets the efficiency gains aren't made there anymore, it's made earlier in the supply chain.

For many jobs, success in the workforce is about working smarter, not harder, and it's been that way for a while.

I must be an outlier with people in my age range (early to mid twenties - I am 24 myself). I went from high school to Tafe. Didn't get anything from Tafe so went to a shitty casual job. From that shitty casual job I went to a shittier full time job. From there I went to a better casual job. That was six years ago. I went from casual to part time (25 hours), to full time, and then back to part time (30 hours over four days) as to accommodate my decision to study. I lived at home up until I was 21. I always lived within my means and have been pretty content with my situation for a long time. Even though I don't earn much in retrospect, I still earn in a surplus to my requirements. I go on holidays and can afford to do so thanks to my healthy savings that I've banked up since I was 17. Between my partner and I we live a comfortable life with some luxuries, but we're not luxurious people for the most part.

I work hard at my job, but I don't push myself to impress my boss. I think that concept is pathetic and a waste of time. I know I do a good job, my boss acknowledges that I do a good job, and that's that. I'm studying not because I wish for more money and a better lifestyle, but to hopefully go into a field which holds great interest to me.

Do not let my generally content aura fool you though, I genuinely hate what us as a species has done to the environment. I hate big corporations, and I hate the monopoly they hold on the world. I hate how ignorant humans are, and I hate the absolute apathy that people hold towards their actions. I hate how much land is cleared to make way for these shitty new estates. I hate the meat industry. I hate deforestation. I hate so many things in this world. Unfortunately, a majority of humans are terrible, dumb, uneducated, unintelligent arseholes.

When I hopefully have enough money, I will live in an average house with plenty of land and no neighbours. And if I don't, well I live in a nice place with my partner as it is. If I sit there and think about everything wrong with the world, I will fall into a deep, angry depression that consumes me. I know, it's happened to me before briefly. I will not let that happen again. Silent Alarm, I extend this invitation to you. Meet me in my shitty suburb, as you'd call it, come to my shitty local, and enjoy a shitty beer with me. You need to have a chat and get a lot of frustration off your chest.

Also I do not consider myself a failure. Some might, but why would they? Sure, I worked unskilled labour for seven years and didn't get any further education until now, but so what? I have savings, zero debt, live comfortably, have a loving partner, have a big sook of a dog, a close relationship with my mother and several close friends. A failure is that meth head robbing those who work for their possessions.

Also I do not consider myself a failure. Some might, but why would they? Sure, I worked unskilled labour for seven years and didn't get any further education until now, but so what? I have savings, zero debt, live comfortably, have a loving partner, have a big sook of a dog, a close relationship with my mother and several close friends. A failure is that meth head robbing those who work for their possessions.

In what way would you be a failure? You are 24, live out of home, in a long term relationship and in steady employment. Even if you didn't have these things, you are too young IMO to attach those labels to yourself.

For me personally I have felt like a failure. Having let a mixture of fear and bitterness rule much of my life, and not much to show for my 28 years on this earth. But you can't control the past, you can only envision what kind of person you want to become, and conduct yourself in a manner that is as consistent with that vision as possible.

In what way would you be a failure? You are 24, live out of home, in a long term relationship and in steady employment. Even if you didn't have these things, you are too young IMO to attach those labels to yourself.

For me personally I have felt like a failure. Having let a mixture of fear and bitterness rule much of my life, and not much to show for my 28 years on this earth. But you can't control the past, you can only envision what kind of person you want to become, and conduct yourself in a manner that is as consistent with that vision as possible.
I work at Bunnings and have done for almost 7 years. People would turn their noses up at that. They may have crippling debt and spend like there's no tomorrow, but new and shiny is everything in life after all.

Working hard is a crock. Mark Hutchings works hard and probably makes $200k. Great money for a regular Joe but his highest paid teammate makes $900k.

I know people who work incredibly hard and either make no money because what they do isn't lucrative, or make a lot of money and spend it faster than it comes in, or even worse miss out on things because their work life balance is ****ed. Pass.

Work smarter. Be useful, be personable and remember that most people aren't actually that good at what they do and very few people give a * about you and what you want. Understand how businesses operate and where you sit in the food chain. I worked in a supermarket for 6 years. The day I quit the doors didn't shut. Business as usual the following morning. People stress about this kind of s**t.

PSA and sandstone university old boy networks are great but unless you are chasing an internship at some exclusive firm you can get by without them. Most of them who end up away from their safety net are useless *s which you can use to your own advantage.

There's always money in the banana stand.

I have some high school classmates who work and have bought homes 10 minutes from where they grew up. I often wonder how people can be so content living such a mundane and predictable life, never really exploring the world or taking a risk or wanting something... more. Be hey, if it makes them happy. I'd hate to look back on my life in 20 years' time only to realise that I've lived in the same area and hung out with the same people that entire time.

I am happy. What's more is that you never hear those people judging the lives of those who want to do more and see things.

'So and so has gone backpacking around Asia again! Can you believe it?'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know people who have worked hard at their dreams, left town, left the country, made a real fist of it, actors and musicians etc, and never cracked it. Were never able to live off their work.

They have no regrets and some amazing life experience but most of them have ended up missing the boat on family. That doesn't matter to a lot of people but it's kinda nice to be loved and have children, even if it's from a selfish POV. It was certainly something I thought about in my late teens but ten years later I've never been to Hollywood I have a daughter and I wouldn't give her up for anything. Just a name in the credits on some Channel 10 or ABC iView stuff or tropfest.

I also have a HQ that I wouldn't give up for anything, except maybe another HQ variant. That's not really relevant as you can acquire materialist goods that please you whenever you want but if I was in a different place at a different time I might've missed the opportunity or not been able to jump on it.

I know people who have worked hard at their dreams, left town, left the country, made a real fist of it, actors and musicians etc, and never cracked it. Were never able to live off their work.

They have no regrets and some amazing life experience but most of them have ended up missing the boat on family. That doesn't matter to a lot of people but it's kinda nice to be loved and have children, even if it's from a selfish POV. It was certainly something I thought about in my late teens but ten years later I've never been to Hollywood I have a daughter and I wouldn't give her up for anything. Just a name in the credits on some Channel 10 or ABC iView stuff or tropfest.

I also have a HQ that I wouldn't give up for anything, except maybe another HQ variant. That's not really relevant as you can acquire materialist goods that please you whenever you want but if I was in a different place at a different time I might've missed the opportunity or not been able to jump on it.

University exchange student I knew left New Jersey for Los Angeles. Easier for him since he's American and doesn't have to worry about work visas. But while he hasn't "made it" (wouldbe screenwriter) that hasn't stopped him getting married and having a kid in the meantime. He didn't put the rest of his life on pause.

Last edited:
It's a shame they're obnoxious, product placing, social media attention whores but those 'van life' 'salty hair sandy toes' kents are onto a good thing.

Buy an old van or 4wd, set it up with some basics and **** off for a bit. If you can afford fuel and food it's not an expensive life.

The worst thing for me is the ukulele music!

Agree, would be fun to do for a bit though.

I listen to a fair bit of talk back radio and frequently older guys ring in saying they have these jobs on offer but young people don't want to to work and don't have a work ethic.

I sometimes wonder if that's the problem or if these guys just aren't good people to work for and that's why people they hire are always quitting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I listen to a fair bit of talk back radio and frequently older guys ring in saying they have these jobs on offer but young people don't want to to work and don't have a work ethic.

I sometimes wonder if that's the problem or if these guys just aren't good people to work for and that's why people they hire are always quitting.
In my experience these are the type of jobs in factories that pay you as an apprentice/trainee and end up with you being berated, bullied and paid next to nothing whilst learning zero.

When I was younger I walked from two jobs within a week due to similar and I'm someone who is quite use to having pressure put on me.

The older generation were berated and bullied themselves. Of course fair work and the like did not exist for them back then so they dealt with it and labelled it as being a man.

Those are the types of guys who run warehouses and expect workers to go above and beyond despite offering s**t pay and poor conditions

The talkback radio crowd are the living embodiment of Monty Python's Yorkshiremen sketch.

Retail and hospitality executives pretending to not understand why the creme de la creme aren't applying to work part time at 10 o'clock at night then saying the government needs to help them without a hint of irony.

Trades it's worthwhile and pretty much how most people get an apprenticeship.
Or end up doing a weeks worth of laboring for free. If you're not willing to flick a kid at least $50 cash for half a days work (as a "trial"), providing they're not totally stupid, as a grown adult you're taking advantage of them. No ifs or buts.

I work in hospitality and have since I was 17. It gives me the shits that people turn their noses up at the industry because there's a lot of opportunities for people who aren't academically minded but want to work in supervisory, management or support department roles. I worked for one company from the age of 17 and started as a part time waitress. When I left 7 years later I was a restaurant manager who wanted to get into HR, so I moved to a luxury hotel group as an HR Coordinator. They used to laugh at the business I'd come from, but once I had 4 years of HR experience under my belt, I went back to that original company. I more than doubled my salary and now I'm an executive manager.
I have no tertiary education. Just experience.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back