• Charlie Dixon

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Jack Watts

Votes: 38 11.4%
  • No, not them. This guy

Votes: 22 6.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think that the reason most have their Prison Bar knickers in a twist over this is because the morons-down-the-road did it first.

I think that you shouldn't project what I can only assume from this post is your obsession with the mob down the road onto the rest of us.

Whateley said the co-captaincy clearly meant a lot to Wines and the impact he is starting to have after a delayed start to the season is very positive for the Power.
“Ollie Wines - we know he had the interrupted pre-season - this is what he’s dreamed of, of captaining his club,” he said.
“He shares that honour. And he takes that seriously.
“To watch him on Friday night - yes he takes this leadership thing really seriously.”

https://www.portadelaidefc.com.au/news/2019-04-23/wines-named-whateleys-monday-hero

I know it's not a popular opinion here, but I don't care about a sole captain wearing the #1 guernsey. I'm also largely in favour of most decisions made by the club in the off-season.

The biggest success of the club to date was the 2004 Premiership and on September 25th 2004 there was no one on the field wearing #1, our captain wore #16 that day and that was our on-field captain for most of that season. I'm not taking away anything from the prior 135 years of club history, but when the decision was made to enter the AFL the new goal was to win valuable Victorian silverware.

I'm also sure that in the near future, we will again have a #1 wearing solitary captain. I think that the reason most have their Prison Bar knickers in a twist over this is because the morons-down-the-road did it first.

15 years on, and 2004 is still the measuring stick of success. Walk into the Port Club and the first thing you see is that very AFL Premiership cup. In the lead up to this season we've seen acknowledgement of that year with appointment of Schofield, Montgomery and Brogan to the coaching staff.

Victoria, or anyone else outside of our fanbase will not acknowledge our prior successes. We had to know this when going into the AFL. This is why I also don't care about wearing the Prison Bar guernsey. We agreed to give it up, and the Magpies name to enter the next level. We achieved the absolute pinnacle of success wearing the "SBS" guernsey.

Having a largely national list, I'm not sure Boak, Gray, Ryder, Wines, Dixon, Rockliff would feel the same pride wearing the Prison Bars, actually I bet it's something they'd like to avoid since if they find themselves in that Guernsey nowadays it means they've been dropped.

Bring back the Magenta for all I care, just win games.

I also support the club letting Wingard go. It was a divorce that needed to happen for both parties to flourish. Hopefully Chad gets the arsekicking he needs under Clarko. Hopefully we learn from mistakes and take better care of the new-blood, because I see a big future with these boys.

The consistent factor that made Port Adelaide the greatest club when I was a child in the late 80s was the fact that they ALWAYS WON games, and were hugely dominant. This is the only tradition we need to reinstate and live by. Sure, the co-captains hasn't worked well yet... give it a few more games.

If we remove all traditions except for “winning games”, why am I supporting Port Adelaide? I may as well support Gold Coast, I’m sure they want to win games too.

Every club wants to win games. Not every club has a 150 year history of it. We can’t pick and choose traditions, they get passed down to us, and if we discard them we lose part of our identity.

#BringBackTheBoak
bf84d5bc46c0bf927089bbe81806cf86

Wines needs to beg mark Williams for skills coaching in the off season or Roger James or anyone good because it's just pathetic his skill level.

Needs to spend the off season at least running 5km straight sprints then having a mate throw ground balls at him while he weaves through poles and then hits target's set up 10/10 and repeating until he gets its right then re set and go again or anything that requires great energy and keeping good kicking technique

Wines skills should've been enough to rule him out of captaincy contention in my opinion. I don't care that he views himself as a leader and plays like a bull. What matters is whether the mature adults of the club assessed his suitability for the honour and unfortunately they've shown to be inept.

I'm not on the inside to know if the guy is totally committed to upskilling his football but he bloody should be if he isn't.

From my view he had a bung shoulder and he went extreme sporting in a preseason where the captaincy was up for grabs knowing that his skills cost us games and so from the outside looking in it doesn't give me confidence that he can prioritise Port Adelaide above all.

Maybe he felt embarrassed last night and one can only hope that this makes him alert to what he must do to get his football right for the long term and not just a game or two.

The way his skills are we need three Pendlebury types playing around him to counter his clangers. Quite frankly I not only wonder if he's captain material I wonder if he's the type of player that belongs at a historically successful club.

I guess we will see.
This could be the turning point for the young fella, one way or the other.
He will be hurting massively.
I hope he grows from this and I hope his head hasn’t been messed with too much.

I remember the call for Ollie as future captain came from the supporter base and media years ago.
He was always known as. ‘ our future captain’ I am not sure why.

He is a nice and respectful young fella but at this stage, or maybe never, he does not appear to have the killer instinct I would like to see in a captain. I know it is new to him, and of course can only judge from what we see in media interviews or on field, but I have concerns.
He also seems to make poor on field decisions, rather than grabbing the game by the neck and helping us over the line.

I always felt uncomfortable the way he put off his decisions to re sign with the club each time.
I think his parents might have a massive influence on him.
He comments how his mum has told him not to hook up with an Adelaide girl and I wonder how much, or if, his dad had been pushing for him to be captain?

He is a high quality person but I hope the captaincy doesn’t emotionally destroy him.

I have said it before, but I wanted him to focus on his own game before taking on the onerous role of Port captain. And onerous it is.

I reckon if Ken leaves, Ollie would follow him. They seem very close.

Wines needs to go for surgery. This year could completely break him. He isn't ready to be a captain. He seems immature and his football is embarrassing. The club should have never put him in this position. I don't completely hate the notion of dual captains but ken has used it out of weakness not strength.

If the comment attributed to Wines that his parents can influence a 24 yo as to the geographical location of any potential gf is correct, then in my opinion he is still wet behind the ears, and therefore absolutely `immature!'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We
This is a cluster atm. Every ****** is injured. Our co-captains and our vice. Ollie is completely shagged.. I feel pretty bad for him atm.

If Charlie was fit I'd possibly make him vice and put the number 1 on the back of Jonas. Jonas has what it takes to be a sole captain.
We need Hammer and Charlie back and Jonas back

These captains are an embarrassment. Even allowing for injury, neither of them would be top 10 in the B&F on current average output. They are ordinary footballers and poor leaders. I would make Dan Houston captain before either of them.

These captains are an embarrassment. Even allowing for injury, neither of them would be top 10 in the B&F on current average output. They are ordinary footballers and poor leaders. I would make Dan Houston captain before either of them.

Sad thing is, all the great leaders are young players who aren't ready. These two got the job because clearly there was no-one else.

Boak should have kept it.

At least Dan puts in, and can bloody hit a player on the chest with his kicks.

If the comment attributed to Wines that his parents can influence a 24 yo as to the geographical location of any potential gf is correct, then in my opinion he is still wet behind the ears, and therefore absolutely `immature!'

I didn't understand his comment anyway. What's wrong with having an Adelaide girlfriend if you're on a long term deal and the captain of the club? Bizarre.

I didn't understand his comment anyway. What's wrong with having an Adelaide girlfriend if you're on a long term deal and the captain of the club? Bizarre.

Less likely to come back home after your Career probably more than likely you wont. Find a GF from home and chances of coming back post Career are far far higher, more likely than not you will.

Less likely to come back home after your Career probably more than likely you wont. Find a GF from home and chances of coming back post Career are far far higher, more likely than not you will.

What's he on, a 5 year deal? It's not like he has to get married or anything.

I still can't believe we pissed away 150 years of tradition for a guy who's more interested in water skiing than playing football and who can't hit simple handball targets.

I still can't believe we pissed away 150 years of tradition for a guy who's more interested in water skiing than playing football and who can't hit simple handball targets.

While the other one has a red n blue mouth guard maybe you can take the boy out of Norwood but not Norwood out of the boy. As for Ollie’s game last night cast your mind back to TJ’s game v Richmond.

We need so much more from these 2 than what we’re getting.
My fear is that what we’re getting is what we’re going to get with some belligerence thrown in for good measure

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Back