Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
I reckon we'll see Henry being demoted before Clark, to be honest. Henry is a solid trier, but doesn't have the pure talent (and pace) of Jordan Clark.

I disagree. Clark will come out for Touhey I reckon. Henry is playing a particular role and was good this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Although I don't condone booing, people should be allowed to boo whoever they want whenever they want...

We don't need media (including cnck Gerard Whateley) deciding on behalf of all of us who and who isn't booable based on their own identity politics.

I don’t agree. It’s unsavoury. Booing crap player behaviour within a game is ok if not appropriate but booing because they don’t like a players religious beliefs or the actions of his father is both ridiculous and unwarranted.

Asked a number of these hawks muppets why they boo’d and this is what I got.

Nickoo

Norm Smith Medallist
May 13, 2015
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Melbourne Victory
Why does Henry need a rest he is a 3rd year player and yes Sav will be good in future but he is no better than Buzza at the moment

He’s better than Buzz full stop. Buzz’s mobility and will to the contest is pretty average at best.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Very early season games are meaningless because the skills aren't up to scratch, they have very little to do with finals games. For a contested side that does well against teams that bomb it forward and/or high turnovers we are at a significant advantage in lower skilled games.

So because Hawthorn were missing a whole heap of important players the game still matters cos hey the games are normally close?

You just said that our big ground problem has been addressed, so I don't know what that has got to do with me being happy or unhappy about the teams progress this season? I just said the big ground problem hasn't been addressed.

Our ball movement out of defence is still poor(extremely dependent on Clark) and our midfield defends poorly against teams with good run and carry.

Have you got examples of goal post shifting? cos otherwise it's just a bs saying by people without an argument

I don't rate April premierships, especially when they turn into first quarter prelim thrashings.
Utter piffle.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Going on another stat rant here so yeah sorry.
For those who look up the stats, what exactly do you get out of them?
Guthrie apparently had 54% efficiency.
That means he was directly turning it over half the time he had the ball. Did anyone see that? It just didn't happen.
Why bother? They're good for umpires to look up after the game to do their Brownlow votes and that's all.
However a non-effective possession is not necessarily a turn-over. Further, efficiency is somewhat subjective, a wild kick 50 metres forward down the throat of an opponent would be considered "ineffective", a one-metre handpass deep in defense would be considered "effective", a kick along the boundary 50 metres out of defense but over the line for out-of-bounds would be considered "ineffective". You're right, sometimes stats do not give an effective picture

Aug 2, 2012
AFL Club
Geelong
However a non-effective possession is not necessarily a turn-over. Further, efficiency is somewhat subjective, a wild kick 50 metres forward down the throat of an opponent would be considered "ineffective", a one-metre handpass deep in defense would be considered "effective", a kick along the boundary 50 metres out of defense but over the line for out-of-bounds would be considered "ineffective". You're right, sometimes stats do not give an effective picture
A kick from the 50m line to a marking contest in the goal square = 100% even if it comes straight back over your head and results in a goal to the opposition.
A kick from the 50m line which hits the post = 0%.

steady2

Club Legend
Jun 25, 2013
Melbourne
AFL Club
Geelong
Channel 7 reporting in the news promo "Coming up: Why Geelong fans joined in booing Gary Ablett".

Did that really happen?
Jeff Kennett says some Geelong fans told him that other Geelong fans were booing. So the news will say "Jeff says Geelong fans say other Geelong fans booed Gaz." Must have been every Geelong fan there since it was loud and coming from all over the ground, and I guess most of the "Geelong fans" were wearing Hawthorn colours as a disguise.

CatFan79

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 25, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
booing because they don’t like a players religious beliefs or the actions of his father is both ridiculous and unwarranted.

So who decides on the reason each person is booing and what do you do about it?

What's your solution?

Jeff Kennett says some Geelong fans told him that other Geelong fans were booing. So the news will say "Jeff says Geelong fans say other Geelong fans booed Gaz." Must have been every Geelong fan there since it was loud and coming from all over the ground, and I guess most of the "Geelong fans" were wearing Hawthorn colours as a disguise.
I like that view Steady. But I reckon it might be that Kennett stole the idea from Ayres, who made slack Geelong players wear Hawks’ guernseys at training. Except Ayres meant it as a punishment, but doing Kennett’s bidding is a reward for Poos+Wees’ flogs 😜

So who decides on the reason each person is booing and what do you do about it?

What's your solution?
Nothing can be done + who cares if oppo fans boo? Gaz just played better + better, the more they booed!
The issue for me is Kennett attempting to be sanctimonious by saying booing should stop, but then he glossed over his Hawks’ fans booing by justifying their boos by saying some Geelong supporters booed.
Why would Geelong supporters boo when we applauded Gaz after kicking that goal for GCS in the Ablett pocket? Why would we boo when he was welcomed home so warmly? It’s Kennett attempting to defect Hawks’ fans booing + their loss, which is pathetic!
Still, we live in a country where we’re free to express what we think. Like it or not, Folau is allowed to express his opinion, which also included other minorities. Booing Gaz is a type of religious vilification. But there is more outrage paid to Folau + Gaz liking his post, than the media looking at their own hypocrisy.

Some sort of mandatory mouthpiece that stops people from saying the letter B.
Ryan Abbott fans will need to adjust slightly.
🤣🤣🤣
Oh boy! Going to be tough cheering for Bews, Blitz, Brownless, Buzza + even Gaz!
The solution is to just gag Poos+Wees’ fans 😜

May 18, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Not really sure he's turn into this week's whipping boy; comments I've been reading in this thread about him are of a similar tone to those made during the JLT series.

He is correctly being credited for his willingness to take the game on, reading of the play when the opposition are on the attack, his speed and that he's showing promise as a line breaking defender, which are all positive attributes.

As for questions over some of his defensive efforts, especially at stoppages in the Hawks forward line - I recall similar comments during the JLT series, and don't think it's about him being this week's whipping boy but rather a reflection of where he's at.

Vast majority of 5-gamers will have areas of their game to work on; for Clark that's his defensive work at stoppages, and I'm betting we'll see that improve by having Scarlett as defensive coach.

Defensive knowledge on positioning etc is something that needs to be learnt over the years. It’s not something 18 yr olds come in already knowing. Clark is no different. He has some absolute defensive geniuses to learn from though, players and coaches.

Don’t want to stifle his offensive game though, by making him worry too much about defense. Sometimes if they worry too much about the defensive side, they lose the offensive part. That’s his strength, so use it.

Ratcat

Premiership Player
Aug 28, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong
Reckon the media and Kennett wanted to make an example of Gary for his social media comment.
Gatekeeper Kennett sent a message to all of us not to over step the politically correct line.
Just to be sure we got the message he had to harp as normal.

Last edited:
Is there a stat on effective tackles or is this opinion?
CD's definition of a tackle is that it has to prevent the opponent from registering an effective disposal. So if you tackle a guy and swing him around twice but he still manages to get a handball away that goes straight to a teammate, you don't get credited with a tackle.

Kitty they go to him for Hawthorn related sound bites, but also because of his connection to Beyond Blue. Which is ironic really, given his treatment of Adam Goodes (as pointed out in an AFL article today.) He is such a one eyed pig. It's the oldest psychological trick in the book, deflecting the blame elsewhere. Mansplaining Jeff. I noticed HAWTHORN fans didn't start booing him until after his first goal, threatened as they were. On the Folau thing, Ablett was quick to withdraw it as an error of judgement and we've all seen his explanatory Easter tweet. My point is, why are they booing him for his opinion anyway? Despite the result of the recent referendum (which tells you in the first place that people were divided on that issue) he is fully entitled to his opinion and beliefs. As were Tony Abbott et al. Mistaken beliefs in my opinion, but free to express their dissent. Folau just went in too hard, and took Gaz down with him.
They use Kennett in the hope of getting something contentious + he delivers. Prior to the game he was all about the ‘Curse’.
It’s a typical tactic used to distract because they have no logical, reasonable or intelligent opinion to make. Just a polite, gracious comment about Geelong being better on the day, disappointed by Hawks’ injuries + that the game lived up to the rivalry we’ve enjoyed.
To blame Geelong supporters as part of the booing issue - which he cannot substantiate + bring in the Folau comment is reaching. I think most would think he was reaching + see the transparency of his gormless endeavour.

As much as i love all the new recruits over the last few years Chook/Atkins/Parfitt etc Miers is by far my favourite :shoutyoldman:
Seems there was a bit of doubt from some about Miers' ability, but I think he's won over all his doubters.

Then there are his admirers, like us, who knew he had something special.

Reckon the media and Kennett wanted to make an example of Gary for his social media comment.
Gatekeeper Kennett sent a message to all of us not to over step the politically correct line.
Just to be sure we got the message he had to harp as normal.
It's typical tall poppy syndrome, isn't it? Gaz had a superb day, turned the clock right back:
  • 19 Kicks
  • 23 Disposals
  • 8 Marks (equal first with Blitz)
  • including 'that' Mark!
  • 3 Goals
So the media's puppet, Kennett was in charge of pulling Gaz down to size.

No mention of Sissilly grabbing Gaz's jewels, though!

Bloody hell the composure has gone up 1000% this year, it seems.

(Just watching the game now, finally!)
Especially from the Kittens! Some look as though they have AFL experience beyond their years. Miers definitely, reckon he loves playing with Tomahawk, Rohan, Dahlhaus, Atkins + co. What a way to learn your craft! Same for the Kittens in Defence + the coaches - Scarlo + Enright! Then add the Dynasty guys. It's epic for them!

Back