2019 Trade thread

Remove this Banner Ad

No love for Wallis on the Bulldog's board.
We may have dodged a bullet there.
I recall at the time when Wallis was mentioned as a possible recruit our CEO came out in the press saying something along the lines of "we only want to recruit really good players"........made me laugh.

I recall at the time when Wallis was mentioned as a possible recruit our CEO came out in the press saying something along the lines of "we only want to recruit really good players"........made me laugh.
Wrong way around. :)

There was a comment to that effect prior to the trade period, which we all parsed to see if player X, Y or Z (including Wallis) would fit it... I have to admit, McCarthy wouldn't have met my definition before the start of this year for example.

Wallis would have been great for us in his natural position.
Dunno about that, most of their supporters seem to think he's playing in the midfield too much. He's getting more mid time than Dunkley and McLean, both of whom had really good patches there last season. He's been completely ineffective from what I've seen, which isn't great after he was supposedly flying in pre-season and ready to go to another level etc. The Doggies might've done us a favour here.

Dunno about that, most of their supporters seem to think he's playing in the midfield too much. He's getting more mid time than Dunkley and McLean, both of whom had really good patches there last season. He's been completely ineffective from what I've seen, which isn't great after he was supposedly flying in pre-season and ready to go to another level etc. The Doggies might've done us a favour here.

tbh I haven't actually watched any doggies games, assumed he was being played forward.

If not then yeah we dodged a bullet. Yay!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So many bullets dodged. Wallis Dixon Tippett. Lions are the Neo of the AFL

So Dixon has been a failure at Port?

Let's just wait on Adams & Lyons before we trumpet that our trades are invincible & mock others trades. Perhaps we still have some rounds left in our own gun.

So Dixon has been a failure at Port?

Let's just wait on Adams & Lyons before we trumpet that our trades are invincible & mock others trades. Perhaps we still have some rounds left in our own gun.

I don't think it's pumping us up. It was just luck. We were keen on those players who ended up being bad trades.

I don't think it's pumping us up. It was just luck. We were keen on those players who ended up being bad trades.

Not really directed at BB from our perspective, have been reading on other threads for a few weeks now that our 2018 trading has been such a success, I guess I am yet to be convinced on the small sample size (aside from the obvious) to this point.

Not really directed at BB from our perspective, have been reading on other threads for a few weeks now that our 2018 trading has been such a success, I guess I am yet to be convinced on the small sample size (aside from the obvious) to this point.

That's fair but I think we're at a point where we can afford a few losses. Now that the core of our team is looking pretty good we're less reliant on second and third round picks coming on fast.

Although; you can't complain about the Neale trade, Lyons and McCarthy were practically free and the pick we gave for Adams wasn't that high.

I liked the look of Mason Redman from the bombers half back wing type.Was good with run and his disposals.Only young 21 I think ooc end of the year.Could develop

That's fair but I think we're at a point where we can afford a few losses. Now that the core of our team is looking pretty good we're less reliant on second and third round picks coming on fast.

Although; you can't complain about the Neale trade, Lyons and McCarthy were practically free and the pick we gave for Adams wasn't that high.
I disagree that we have a core of a team in place. I believe we're still very thin down back and up forward. In fact I'd go as far to say that we have only one defender (Andrews) and two forwards (Cameron & Rayner) I'd count as a core, with a possible three more players with potential (Gardiner, Witherden & Hipwood).

I believe we have a core 6 in the midfield, but largely untested potential beyond that.

I disagree that we have a core of a team in place. I believe we're still very thin down back and up forward. In fact I'd go as far to say that we have only one defender (Andrews) and two forwards (Cameron & Rayner) I'd count as a core, with a possible three more players with potential (Gardiner, Witherden & Hipwood).

I believe we have a core 6 in the midfield, but largely untested potential beyond that.

We're never going to agree on list management. I'm assuming you haven't been a Lions fan for the whole period post the premierships because you don't seem beaten down by youngsters promising so much but delivering so little and losing complete faith in the draft.

We're never going to agree on list management. I'm assuming you haven't been a Lions fan for the whole period post the premierships because you don't seem beaten down by youngsters promising so much but delivering so little and losing complete faith in the draft.
I started following AFL and the Lions at the 2013 draft.

I am lucky in that respect, because I appear to have come in when drafting and scouting seem to have become popular among amateur draft watchers, and analytics have come in to the sport.

I started following AFL and the Lions at the 2013 draft.

I am lucky in that respect, because I appear to have come in when drafting and scouting seem to have become popular among amateur draft watchers, and analytics have come in to the sport.

You weren't 'promised the world' by the likes of Cupido, Brennan, Collier, Moody, etc.

You weren't 'promised the world' by the likes of Cupido, Brennan, Collier, Moody, etc.

Don't forget us using early picks on players such as Spaanderman or Cameron Wood.

Our drafting from like 2000 until 2008 was just awful, even considering we had a few years of picking very late. Then we vacated the 2009 draft and lost every good player we drafted in 2010-11.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back