Booing of Gary Ablett

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
If the AFL state that there is a relation between booing at abletts thoughts on falou case, it will be a very very very complex situation. The afl are seen or want to be seen as a socially progressive organisation, and if state the booing must stop it then thus is against free speech against homophobic (?) thoughts and deeds.

I went to the Round 1 Pies Vs Cats game and was bemused when Pies fans were booing Ablett. I thought to myself he hasn’t done us wrong, so there’s no need to boo him.

However, the next time Pies vs Cats, I’ll be booing him louder than I’ve ever booed any player.

He deserves it. Once you take the almighty position of “you’re going to hell if you do .......”, I’ll boo you. Flog.

As a community, we need to stamp out people using Religion to justify their crazy views.

If he thinks he has the right to judge people, I have the right to boo people.

FWIW, I still give Dusty s**t for wanting to attack a woman with chopsticks.

Don’t act like a flog or put people down in a public forum, and I won’t boo you. Simple.

I went to the Round 1 Pies Vs Cats game and was bemused when Pies fans were booing Ablett. I thought to myself he hasn’t done us wrong, so there’s no need to boo him.

However, the next time Pies vs Cats, I’ll be booing him louder than I’ve ever booed any player.

He deserves it. Once you take the almighty position of “you’re going to hell if you do .......”, I’ll boo you. Flog.

As a community, we need to stamp out people using Religion to justify their crazy views.

Don’t act like a flog or put people down in a public forum, and I won’t boo you. Simple.
And maybe this would be a reasonable position to take if Ablett had stuck with his like and left it up there.
He took it down however.

And maybe this would be a reasonable position to take if Ablett had stuck with his like and left it up there.
He took it down however.

Too little, too late.

I don’t think people understand the ramifications of his “like”.

FWIW, everyone who liked that post even for a second are in the same boat.

I’ll be booing Matthew Kennedy too, but doubt he’d get a game.

So why were your people booing him in round 1?

The Brisbane crowd gave West Coast a run for their money on Thursday Night. Boosbane?

Anyway all the best players get boo'd. It's jealousy. Ronaldo, LeBron James, it's pathetic. It's the mindset of most the human species - Sheer jealousy.

Dom Sheed getting boo'd at the GF rematch a 2.5 weeks ago. Pathetic. As for Ablett he's been getting boo'd for a while and the like just made it worse. In all honesty, what is he doing liking such bullshit.

Good luck to them all. They sure need it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Isn’t it one in the same? How do you separate it when His religion has an issue with homosexuality

His religious views are that homosexuality is wrong based on some very ancient texts - not something his has magicked up for convenience

I don’t agree - all religions seem hypocritical to me

but it provides quite the vexing conundrum that fundamental rights to religion and a fundamental right to sexual freedom clash

However it’s not the masses that decide what is right - but a very vocal subsection that decides what is and isn’t offensive and imposes that on everyone else
There's a problem with simply saying that the ancient texts condemn homosexuality. They say an awful lot of peculiar things. Quite apart from the infamous injunctions in Leviticus, there's the injunction for a jubilee in Deuteronomy which demands the freeing of all slaves and the forgiveness of all debts every 50 years. Imagine everyone's mortgage would be cancelled every 50 years! I don't recall any evangelist demanding that, for all that they're into a literal interpretation of the bible. But of course the likes of Scomo or the rich US tele-evangelists are never going to argue for something like that. They pick and choose which bits of the bible they want to emphasise. Similarly, homophobia within the Islamic world is a classic case of "invented tradition". Historically, the Islamic world was far more tolerant of male homosexuality than was the west. As recently as the 1970s it was common for western gay intellectuals to hang out in North Africa for that very reason, because they were tolerated there. So to say a religion has an issue with homosexuality is problematic because it treats a religion as homogeneous, whereas no religion is.

I’m sure Gaz is shaking in his boots at the thought of you booing him.

Do you celebrate Easter or Christmas? Got married in a church or with a religious ceremony? These are all religious events or holidays. Just curious. No judgement either way but would be ironic if you celebrate Christian holidays but not holidays from other religions without any religious faith.

Pagan celebrations that were "Christianised" as part of its spread through Europe. Notwithstanding, it is a silly point to try and argue - I can't stand horse racing though of course I take Melbourne Cup day off. Anyone who wants to work when a day off is on offer needs their brain checked.

Deserved every boo & more. If the AFL were serious about inclusion and vilification then they should've come down a lot harder on Ablett. But it's Ablett so play on.

:rolleyes:
When and where did Ablett not include or vilify anyone? It seems that you are the one doing the vilifying here.

I want to make it clear that I love ALL people regardless of race, religion, gender or sexuality.
I have always admired how strong Izzy is in his faith, it is not easy to share faith in the public sphere, and this is why I initially 'liked' his post.
I understand that liking this post appeared offensive and this is why I chose to remove my 'like' from the post.
- G.Ablett
Try to look at the entire situation next time before jumping on the outrage bandwagon with the rest of the sheep. Why some people refuse to utilise their brains in situations like these has me completely baffled.

Try to look at the entire situation next time before jumping on the outrage bandwagon with the rest of the sheep. Why some people refuse to utilise their brains in situations like these has me completely baffled.

You've realised you've got no argument left and now you're just spouting some generalist argument about outrage and being sheep. I was never on the outrage wagon... I said Gary deserved to be called out for supporting a homophobic post and he was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back