Draft Review 2015 - Redo the 2015 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Can see Oliver being caught relatively quickly in the next 1-2 years. Peaked early and hasn't really added much to his game as others such as Cripps have.

No contested marking, no direct scoreboard impact, kicking average at best, run and carry minimal. Great player, but needs to expand his game to end up the best player in the draft in the coming years.
At 21 years of age Oliver has

* Won a b&f in a team that missed the finals by %
* Came runner up in a b&f of PF team
* Been AA
* Finished 6th & 7th in respective years in the AFLCA award
* AFLCA Young player of the year award

Now lets just look at this seasons stats
* 6th in league for total possessions
* 3rd for league for clearances
* 4th for contested possessions
* 6th for centre clearances
* 8th for stoppage clearances

If he stays stagnant and never improves he is still a top 10-15 player in the league

* Been AA

If he stays stagnant and never improves he is still a top 10-15 player in the league

Phenomenal inside midfielder, particularly at such a young age. I agree that he is #1 by a fair margin at the moment. But I also wouldn't be surprised should either of Hipwood or McKay or Curnow reach their ceilings as dominant forwards and outproduce Oliver over the course of their careers. I don't see anybody else being good enough to do that; those 3 have the combination of rare athleticism as well as footballing ability to do it.

Phenomenal inside midfielder, particularly at such a young age. I agree that he is #1 by a fair margin at the moment. But I also wouldn't be surprised should either of Hipwood or McKay or Curnow reach their ceilings as dominant forwards and outproduce Oliver over the course of their careers. I don't see anybody else being good enough to do that; those 3 have the combination of rare athleticism as well as footballing ability to do it.
I agree he can be caught just not easily within a year as one of your fellow supporters claimed

Last year there were a lot of people saying Curnow would pass him, now its a few supporters saying they would prefer McKays few good games over Olivers amazing body of work.

* Been AA

1556083153963.png

Don't take offence to it, they are good footballers I just stated they were pretty obvious picks and it shouldn't be seen as a masterstroke to pick them??

Not sure how Essendons drafting got brought into the conversation? I certainly am not in the camp of Dodoro being a genius, I'm well aware he has made some questionable calls. But since you brought it up....

Francis is anything but a bust and certainly not "Languishing" he would be Carltons best defender, just behind a few in the pecking order at Essendon.

Parish not justifying his position but still time to turn it around, another one that walk straight into Carltons midfield however

Redman building nicely after some injury ravaged seasons

Yes Morgan was a dud.

This is the 2015 draft thread. You have a comment to make on every other team's drafting; why would Essendon be exempt?

You made three very big statements here:

1. Francis would be Carlton's best defender.
Carlton play two tall defenders and two tallish defenders who play tall/small - Jones, Weitering, Plowman and Marchbank. These are the roles Francis plays. Are you seriously saying Francis is better than all four?

2. Parish would walk straight in to Carlton's midfield.
Carlton has a great group of young midfielders - Cripps, SPS, Walsh, Fisher, Setterfield, Dow, Murphy, Ed Curnow, with Kennedy forced in to the VFL and Stocker "building (developing) nicely" in his first season. Who would Parish be ahead of?

3. Redman is building nicely. Really? Fourth season. 7 games. Every club has an injury prone youngster that is "building nicely". Hardly great recruiting.

I don't see our three balls as elite; far from it. They have a long long way to go. But credit where credit is due. Even though they looked good prospects, no other recruiter has ever picked three key position players in the top 12 have they? The safe and popular way is to pick two talls and a mid. SOS didn't go the safe route. He may be rewarded heavily.

You seem like a pretty good judge of everyone else's drafting apart from your own teams. Might have to set those red & black glasses down before you post.

This is the 2015 draft thread. You have a comment to make on every other team's drafting; why would Essendon be exempt?

You made three very big statements here:

1. Francis would be Carlton's best defender.
Carlton play two tall defenders and two tallish defenders who play tall/small - Jones, Weitering, Plowman and Marchbank. These are the roles Francis plays. Are you seriously saying Francis is better than all four?

2. Parish would walk straight in to Carlton's midfield.
Carlton has a great group of young midfielders - Cripps, SPS, Walsh, Fisher, Setterfield, Dow, Murphy, Ed Curnow, with Kennedy forced in to the VFL and Stocker "building (developing) nicely" in his first season. Who would Parish be ahead of?

3. Redman is building nicely. Really? Fourth season. 7 games. Every club has an injury prone youngster that is "building nicely". Hardly great recruiting.

I don't see our three balls as elite; far from it. They have a long long way to go. But credit where credit is due. Even though they looked good prospects, no other recruiter has ever picked three key position players in the top 12 have they? The safe and popular way is to pick two talls and a mid. SOS didn't go the safe route. He may be rewarded heavily.

You seem like a pretty good judge of everyone else's drafting apart from your own teams. Might have to set those red & black glasses down before you post.

1. Who of Weitering, Jones, Plowman and Marchbank is better than Francis? Weitering possibly on par but the rest are dime-a-dozen defenders.

2. Of the players you listed I’d sit Parish after Fisher and on par with Setterfield who has shown glimpses but that’s it at this stage.

3. Redman is a nice looking player who I haven’t overrated just said he is starting to show some good signs, your earlier post made it sound like he was a bust because he’s only played 7 games.

I made the point about bringing up the Essendon players because that’s just a lazy rebuttal when you had no idea what my thoughts were on those players. If you scroll back a few pages you’ll see Francis was the only Essendon player I had sitting in the top 20 and that was about 13 from memory. I hardly think I’m looking at this through red & black glasses

A lot of chest beating here re who is the best in this draft. Has any Carlton fan said McKay or Curnow are no.1?

1. Oliver (standout so far)
2. Gresham (quickly closing the gap on 1st)
3. Daylight
4. Mills/Hopper/McKay/Mileara/Curnow/Hipwood/Doedee/Rioli/Burton/Fiorini

I'd suggest if Charlie or Harry were available, all teams would chase them hard. Yup. Even Essendon (although no doubt they would have to wait in the VFL with Francis until Mitch Brown or Redman got an injury).

A lot of chest beating here re who is the best in this draft. Has any Carlton fan said McKay or Curnow are no.1?

1. Oliver (standout so far)
2. Gresham (quickly closing the gap on 1st)
3. Daylight
4. Mills/Hopper/McKay/Mileara/Curnow/Hipwood/Doedee/Rioli/Burton/Fiorini

I'd suggest if Charlie or Harry were available, all teams would chase them hard. Yup. Even Essendon (although no doubt they would have to wait in the VFL with Francis until Mitch Brown or Redman got an injury).

Did you miss the 15 or so posts earlier today from one of yours stating McKay was the clear number 1?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It depends what your basing the selection on, if it's potential that they've shown or runs on the board will determine where the likes of Mckay Curnow etc would be taken. But no matter what the criteria is, any list that doesn't have Oliver at number 1 is fundamentally wrong.

1. Who of Weitering, Jones, Plowman and Marchbank is better than Francis? Weitering possibly on par but the rest are dime-a-dozen defenders.

2. Of the players you listed I’d sit Parish after Fisher and on par with Setterfield who has shown glimpses but that’s it at this stage.

3. Redman is a nice looking player who I haven’t overrated just said he is starting to show some good signs, your earlier post made it sound like he was a bust because he’s only played 7 games.

I made the point about bringing up the Essendon players because that’s just a lazy rebuttal when you had no idea what my thoughts were on those players. If you scroll back a few pages you’ll see Francis was the only Essendon player I had sitting in the top 20 and that was about 13 from memory. I hardly think I’m looking at this through red & black glasses

Francis is a dime a dozen defender. I would not take him ahead of any of our defenders - who have all shown truckloads more than Francis.

Parish is a dime a dozen midfielder. I would not take him ahead of any of our midfielders.

Agreed - Redman is a young developing player. I did not say he was a bust. I said he is in his 4th year and has played 7 games. Interesting that so many Essendon fans rate him so highly. Smacks a bit of desperation due to the poor selections before him.

Francis is a dime a dozen defender. I would not take him ahead of any of our defenders - who have all shown truckloads more than Francis.

Parish is a dime a dozen midfielder. I would not take him ahead of any of our midfielders.

Agreed - Redman is a young developing player. I did not say he was a bust. I said he is in his 4th year and has played 7 games. Interesting that so many Essendon fans rate him so highly. Smacks a bit of desperation due to the poor selections before him.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/s/cou...3/news-story/d1ae71a8b8ca64ea9391b31d71536506

“Dime-a-Dozen”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes. I did miss that. In fact I think you are bullshitting. 15 said he’s clear no.1?

I didn’t miss you saying Francis was on a par with weitering though..

1 of yours 15 times. Scroll up it’s not hard.

McKay @ 1, Curnow @ 3 and Weitering @ 4 I believe it was.... And I’m the delusional one?!?

Delusional is saying Francis is on par with weitering. Laughable even..
Clearly Essendon will win the flag and have all six of their defenders as A.A. all six are better than Francis who is playing twos. But he is better than Jones (Who has played 5 games at full back and has had three goals kicked on him including two from buddy) and weitering who is playing some great footy and really blossoming at CHB.
You really think that a third defender not able to crack it for a game deserves to be rated there??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back