Can Hawthorn succeed while ignoring the elite end of the draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
In all honesty, Hawthorn have played with fire and been lucky so far not to get burnt.

They have backed in their medical staff with a bunch of reclamation projects which have mostly worked out. Backed in their recruiting staff to find role players with late picks and lucked into a couple of deep drafts. Backed Clarko to turn around guys who are struggling and to cover for deficiencies.

Right now I think Clarko and their winning culture are hiding some pretty big deficiencies. They’re a team who can beat anyone and get beaten by anyone. Could get 6 goals ahead and then blow it.

So far it is ok, although right now Hawthorn are 13th despite an easy draw to start the year. They really, really need to beat Carlton and Melbourne because it gets a bit tougher after that: GWS, Richmond, Port, Brisbane, Ess, Syd, WC, Coll, Freo, Geelong. Lucky to play WC, Port and Freo in Melbourne, otherwise that would be a nightmare run (and still could be)

Moving forward they are dependent on free agency and further trades. That’s not a huge issue cos they have shown they can land players. Just risky, I guess. But as long as they have Clarko I think theyll stay relevant.

Cool, I guess you didn't need any of them.
He he. Of course they were handy. But your post was a teeny bit misleading - it suggested

a) they were the spine for those flags (they weren’t) and
b) they were a significant part of our success (three players who only played together in one of the four flags suggests that the three players as a spine were not a significant part of the success).

Lake almost was the most important of the three in terms of the missing piece.

He he. Of course they were handy. But your post was a teeny bit misleading - it suggested

a) they were the spine for those flags (they weren’t) and
b) they were a significant part of our success (three players who only played together in one of the four flags suggests that the three players as a spine were not a significant part of the success).

Lake almost was the most important of the three in terms of the missing piece.

You didn't need all of them all of the time but compare what you had to what you have.

May or Lynch would've been great gets.

They can afford to ignore the elite end of the draft when superstars like Wingard, Impey and Vickery want to play for them.
And we got Scully. Remember him? He was part of the great Melbourne exodus... or perhaps the FIRST mass exodus

We are probably going to have another mass exodus soon after this shitty season from the Dees

1556084393492.gif

I think they are tracking along fairly well. The youngsters like Hardwick, Cousins, Worpel, Lewis, Nash, Morrison, Howe, Brand, Scrimshaw and O'Brien have all shown enough at one time or another that they can seriously play, and then you got the proven higher ceiling crop in the right age bracket with the likes of Impey, Sicily, O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard, and you could even include Gunston, Scully, Shiels and Breust who have plenty of years left in the tank.

That's a good list base to be competitive for the now and the future, injuries not withstanding.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think they are tracking along fairly well. The youngsters like Hardwick, Cousins, Worpel, Lewis, Nash, Morrison, Howe, Brand, Scrimshaw and O'Brien have all shown enough at one time or another that they can seriously play, .

Morrison massive drop in form not best 22 atm
Cousins great at getting it but bad with ball in hand.
Howe honest b grade type.
Obrein Not afl standard.
Lewis played well but long term wise I can't see him making it.maybe as a ruck.
Brand yuck..
Nash not afl standard..

Worpel great. Hardwick great leader at the back.
Scimshaw pea heart. .
Moore plodded

Harsh but it's a honest reflection..

I know this might be hard for the Hawthorn haters out there to digest but James Worpel is the steal of the 2017 draft. He is essentially like having a first round pick.

Once this is all said and done he will be a top 5 player in his draft class. This is one that Hawthorn absolutely nailed. I can’t believe he slipped so far in the draft.

Worpel this season is averaging 26 disposals - 5 marks - 7 clearances - 5 inside 50s - 0.6 goals per game.

In just his second year he is doing it all without the help of Mitchell or Shiels by his side.

Contested Possessions: Equal 18th
Clearances: Equal 6th
Centre clearances: Equal 3rd
Inside 50s: Equal 15th

Last edited:
I know this might be hard for the Hawthorn haters out there to digest but James Worpel is the steal of the 2017 draft. He is essentially like having a first round pick.

Once this is all said and done he will be a top 5 player in his draft class. This is one that Hawthorn absolutely nailed. I can’t believe he slipped so far in the draft.

Worpel this season is averaging 26 disposals - 5 marks - 7 clearances - 5 inside 50s - 0.6 goals per game.

In just his second year he is doing it all without the help of Mitchell or Shiels by his side.

Contested Possessions: Equal 18th
Clearances: Equal 6th
Inside 50s: Equal 15th
Similar stats to Constable from Geelong who is doing it after only 4 games. Worpel goes alright though, he was capt of the Falcons so I was aware of him pre-draft and honestly surprised he went so late. I'm no draft buff but would have thought easily top 30.

Similar stats to Constable from Geelong who is doing it after only 4 games. Worpel goes alright though, he was capt of the Falcons so I was aware of him pre-draft and honestly surprised he went so late. I'm no draft buff but would have thought easily top 30.

There has been some quality players drafted that came via the Geelong Falcons. :)

Obrein Not afl standard.
Brand yuck..
Nash not afl standard..

Scimshaw pea heart. .
Moore plodded

Parts of this post are fairly accurate but majority of it is pure trash.

Morrison yes a massive drop in form and as a hawk I admit in my opinion not best 22 when we have our full list available.

Cousins can find the ball and has decent enough disposal, problem right now is a clear lack of tank which will come with more pre seasons you’d expect.

Dan Howe is B grade but every side needs B graders. Not elite but a very good, big bodied footballer.

O Brien I agree with your view.

Mitch Lewis after 3 games I don’t see how you come to the conclusion that he won’t make it, big target, strong mark, good kick and mobile for a big man.

Nash is a developing player, not yet a footballer at the moment should not be playing AFL at the moment but time will tell.

Kaiden Brand is a good defender who can create, great disposal, intercept marking and showed in his 1 game this season that he has hopefully learnt how to defend one on one without giving frees away constantly.

Worpel and Hardwick both excellent mainstays in our 22 for a long time to come.

Scrimshaw is a young, inexperienced footballer so far but I tell you what is an absolute Birchall clone. Will be ELITE!

Dylan Moore has played 2 games and absolutely way too early to tell!

Harsh and ill advised if anything.

Obrein Not afl standard.
Brand yuck..
Nash not afl standard..

Scimshaw pea heart. .
Moore plodded

If Scrimshaw is a pea heart then how come he is first in the AFL in contested possessions and contested marks per game among the half back flankers? :eek:

If Scrimshaw is a pea heart then how come he is first in the AFL in contested possessions and contested marks per game among the half back flankers? :eek:

Like saying roughhead leads the afl in goal kicking for redheads

Direct quote from a suns players that he is a pea heart so I don't take all the hate for that comment 👍

I think they are tracking along fairly well. The youngsters like Hardwick, Cousins, Worpel, Lewis, Nash, Morrison, Howe, Brand, Scrimshaw and O'Brien have all shown enough at one time or another that they can seriously play, and then you got the proven higher ceiling crop in the right age bracket with the likes of Impey, Sicily, O'Meara, Mitchell and Wingard, and you could even include Gunston, Scully, Shiels and Breust who have plenty of years left in the tank.

That's a good list base to be competitive for the now and the future, injuries not withstanding.

I think that the Hawks are about 3-4 pieces away from seriously competing again.

The problem is those 3-4 pieces need to be seriously good players.

And if players like Gunston/Bruest/Mitchell/Sicily etc are going to be part of a premiership then those 3-4 pieces need to be ready now - not 4-5 years.

Therefore ignoring the elite end of the draft is the correct path.

I can’t believe we keep getting advise from opposition fans on how the Hawks should go about a rebuild. How many Premierships have Essendon, Carlton, Melbourne and St Kilda have won between them since 2001? Zero!!!

:D

So the rebuild is going great yeh? 😂

Let's break down the spine of the hawks

Full back is 30, full forward is 30. Ruck is near 30 (great form) best swing man in the team has no hamstrings an 35..
Sold the farm for Chad farker

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back