Mega Thread MLB 2019 season thread

Remove this Banner Ad

So, the Rays got a wake up call by the Red Sox over the weekend, that's for sure.

Of course, slumps are part of baseball, and keeping a .700 average across a season is unsustainable. It was an interesting four game slump, though: Against Baltimore, the Rays were behind but scored a tying run in the 9th, losing by one in the 11th; in the second game against Boston, the Rays were behind but scored the tying run in the 8th, losing by one in the 9th; in the third game against Boston, the Rays were behind AGAIN but scored the tying run AGAIN in the 9th, losing AGAIN in the 11th. So they have been able to get back from behind, but not bump ahead.

Also, I'm reminded of something MadTigerFan noted with Seattle - that eventually batters would figure out the Mariners' pitchers. I think his point also counts for Tampa Bay's closers: Castillo and Alverado had been suffocating for the first month, but it seemed like they lost some of their mystery against Boston.
Alvarado is a beast from the left side, there's no worries there if he stays healthy, although teams usually like closers to be from the right side. Castillo can just get a bit wild.

Just like the Athletics with Trivino and Treinen the Devil Rays are using their 2 main relievers too much though, other guys need to step up or they'll be out of gas by June/July.

You really don't want relievers pitching more than 3 days a week, gives other teams to much film to their tendencies and tires them out.
I would have liked TB to keep Roma as part of their closer rotation: experienced, relatively cheap, solid, and already understood the Rays' distinctive approach to the bullpen. He's doing okay for the Marlins, given the defence he has to work with.

I would have liked TB to keep Roma as part of their closer rotation: experienced, relatively cheap, solid, and already understood the Rays' distinctive approach to the bullpen. He's doing okay for the Marlins, given the defence he has to work with.
Old lol, Devil Rays have plenty of young arms in the Minors

Old lol, Devil Rays have plenty of young arms in the Minors
True, but there's plenty of cheap 35yo still doing the rounds for a few innings here and there. But yep, Durhum has some great kids.

True, but there's plenty of cheap 35yo still doing the rounds for a few innings here and there. But yep, Durhum has some great kids.
Ryne Stanek could quite comfortably pitch the 7th inning ahead of Castillo and Alaverdo and close out the odd game, wasted a bit as the opener

Ryne Stanek could quite comfortably pitch the 7th inning ahead of Castillo and Alaverdo and close out the odd game, wasted a bit as the opener
Tell you who I'd love as a closer, if he wasn't so pricey: Craig Kimbrel. Aside from being available and pretty darn good, he's also my son's favourite player. He loves copying that weird action of his when we're playing baseball in the park. Kimbrel darn near turned my son into a Boston fan! (thank heaven he's left them before it was too late)

Tell you who I'd love as a closer, if he wasn't so pricey: Craig Kimbrel. Aside from being available and pretty darn good, he's also my son's favourite player. He loves copying that weird action of his when we're playing baseball in the park. Kimbrel darn near turned my son into a Boston fan! (thank heaven he's left them before it was too late)
Kimbrel and Keuchel are both going downhill, one of the reasons they won't get the momey they want.

Kimbrel and Keuchel are both going downhill, one of the reasons they won't get the momey they want.
Still so ridiculous those 2 are unsigned and not playing. Says so much where players are at, would rather sit out than actually play all because of the almighty dollar.

Something is seriously wrong when some of the best players aren't playing because they want more money. $1m, $5m, $10m, $15m a year not enough to play the game?

Even if you want the big bucks, why wouldn't you sign a 1 year deal and back yourself to have a stella season and get the $$$ next year.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Still so ridiculous those 2 are unsigned and not playing. Says so much where players are at, would rather sit out than actually play all because of the almighty dollar.

Something is seriously wrong when some of the best players aren't playing because they want more money. $1m, $5m, $10m, $15m a year not enough to play the game?

Even if you want the big bucks, why wouldn't you sign a 1 year deal and back yourself to have a stella season and get the $$$ next year.

teams will probably look at them at them around the all star break then sign them, that way they dont give up a draft pick

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Keuchel wants 17 mill for a one year deal when he's just a junk tossing lefty lol and Kimbrel i don't really know but he's not getting any younger, his end to the season obviously isn't helping.

Keuchel wants 17 mill for a one year deal when he's just a junk tossing lefty lol and Kimbrel i don't really know but he's not getting any younger, his end to the season obviously isn't helping.
This is my point, wouldn't you rather play and earn $7m than $17m? How much money do you need?

I realise they are now waiting for trade deadline when competing clubs will come knocking but shows what players are really playing for, and won't be long till AFL gets to this point.

This is my point, wouldn't you rather play and earn $7m than $17m? How much money do you need?

I realise they are now waiting for trade deadline when competing clubs will come knocking but shows what players are really playing for, and won't be long till AFL gets to this point.

Keuchel is a dickhead, living off the 15 cy young. Used to love him but the way he called out the organisation regarding lack of trades before the Verlander trade and his overall arrogance more than prove that.

And more I think about kimbrel, I reckon He has doubts on his ability to match his best years so wants the years and money now rather than risk signing a short contract and not being as successful.

Still shits me players sit out rather than play. Hope AFL never gets like that but won't hold my breath.

And more I think about kimbrel, I reckon He has doubts on his ability to match his best years so wants the years and money now rather than risk signing a short contract and not being as successful.

Still shits me players sit out rather than play. Hope AFL never gets like that but won't hold my breath.

Keuchel would be the same, he knows his skills are declining, too arrogant to admit it though.

The money will never be big enough in AFL. AFL have to worry about kids playing the sport more than anything as soccer and basketball are taking over.

Maybe not the best actual game Kyle Hendricks has ever pitched as he got hit pretty hard today against the Cardinals but he had a complete game shutout against them on only 81 pitches. He pitched a Maddux, I guess. Yesterday we had an off day and today the bullpen didn’t pitch again so they will be fully rested for Darvish’s start tomorrow.

Also on Thursday, Noah Syndergaard pitched a 10 strikeout complete game shutout against the Reds, the Mets won 1-0 and Syndergaard hit the only run of the game, a home run. Now that is pretty badass.

Maybe not the best actual game Kyle Hendricks has ever pitched as he got hit pretty hard today against the Cardinals but he had a complete game shutout against them on only 81 pitches. He pitched a Maddux, I guess. Yesterday we had an off day and today the bullpen didn’t pitch again so they will be fully rested for Darvish’s start tomorrow.

Also on Thursday, Noah Syndergaard pitched a 10 strikeout complete game shutout against the Reds, the Mets won 1-0 and Syndergaard hit the only run of the game, a home run. Now that is pretty badass.
In other news from that Thursday Mets Reds game, Winker swapped the i for an a in his name.

Braves bullpen may suck but at least our two young starters are pitching great in Soroka and Fried. Until his last start Fried had been lights out, reminds me of cole hamels.

Interesting stat: Soroka is the first pitcher ever in MLB history to give up one or zero runs in at least 8 of his first 10 starts.

Quiet on here this year - anyway:

Harper having a pretty ordinary year and continuing his decline the last few years (2016 & 2018) - .222 ave, 7 HR, 54 strikeouts (most in MLB) and .805 OPS. This following a .249 ave with 30 HR (that's ok) and 169 strikeouts and an .889 OPS in 2018.

Phillies would have to be worried he may continue to decline and only be a HR hitter? He used to be a pretty rounded player but average has taken a big dip 3 of the last 4 years (inc 2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back