Insightful Media Coverage

Remove this Banner Ad

The good from Dermie's article in today's HS.

Dermott Brereton: Eagle Jeremy McGovern is more valuable than Danger, Fyfe, Dusty and Buddy
Others are better regarded as pure footballers, but if we take into account the way the game is tracking, McGovern is the most valuable player in the AFL. He’s the new No.1.

He intercept marks like few before him.

In general play, he stalks the line of the players further upfield and normally takes an intercept mark that should go down in the stats’ as a contested mark, but the others don’t read the flight well enough, so McGovern marks the ball without contact.

To watch him in isolation is extraordinary.

He pays zero regard for his direct opponent. They end up trailing him into the marking contest that their teammate has kicked the ball to.

He reads the opposition player’s eye-line further up the field as well as their body front, knowing where those kicks are going to land.

And the bad.

At the other end, the Eagles have the best key forward combination in the comp — Jack Darling and Josh Kennedy. But it is their hybrid forward Liam Ryan who has me spellbound and confused.

I cannot decide whether I love watching him play or despise it.

On one hand, he can take a screamer. Against Collingwood this season he launched on the goal line, tapped the ball back into Darling from a certain rushed behind situation and the play results in a goal.

In the Grand Final he took a fantastic contested mark and delivered the ball to Dom Sheed for the winning goal.

Kennedy and Jack Darling form the most dynamic one-two forward line punch in the AFL. Picture: Getty Images
On other occasion’s when the ball is on the ground and in dispute, he will deliberately run himself off the line of the footy for fear of contact.

He can cower away from laying a heavy tackle.

These are issues that the Eagles must rankle with. They obviously believe his football exploits as a craft outweigh his lack of physical effort when the chips are stacked against him.

In last year’s Grand Final, Magpie Brayden Maynard stood under the drop of the ball in the middle of the MCG.

Ryan put the crosshairs on him and poleaxed him while Maynard was wide open and completely vulnerable.

But in the third quarter, Ryan was tested with a ball that was over his head but reachable. Running back Ryan was almost as vulnerable as Maynard had been earlier.

Except this time when it was Ryan’s time to go, he didn’t. He opted for self preservation over a sacrifice.

If you consistently evade physical contact and you are non-competitive when the contest is in dispute and you are vulnerable, you eventually will lose your place in the team.

Still only 22 years of age, he has a lot to learn.

His footballing wizardry is wonderful, especially while the team is winning.

But the coaching box and selection committee will be tested if the team loses as many as they win.

The good from Dermie's article in today's HS.

Dermott Brereton: Eagle Jeremy McGovern is more valuable than Danger, Fyfe, Dusty and Buddy
Others are better regarded as pure footballers, but if we take into account the way the game is tracking, McGovern is the most valuable player in the AFL. He’s the new No.1.

He intercept marks like few before him.

In general play, he stalks the line of the players further upfield and normally takes an intercept mark that should go down in the stats’ as a contested mark, but the others don’t read the flight well enough, so McGovern marks the ball without contact.

To watch him in isolation is extraordinary.

He pays zero regard for his direct opponent. They end up trailing him into the marking contest that their teammate has kicked the ball to.

He reads the opposition player’s eye-line further up the field as well as their body front, knowing where those kicks are going to land.

And the bad.

At the other end, the Eagles have the best key forward combination in the comp — Jack Darling and Josh Kennedy. But it is their hybrid forward Liam Ryan who has me spellbound and confused.

I cannot decide whether I love watching him play or despise it.

On one hand, he can take a screamer. Against Collingwood this season he launched on the goal line, tapped the ball back into Darling from a certain rushed behind situation and the play results in a goal.

In the Grand Final he took a fantastic contested mark and delivered the ball to Dom Sheed for the winning goal.

Kennedy and Jack Darling form the most dynamic one-two forward line punch in the AFL. Picture: Getty Images
On other occasion’s when the ball is on the ground and in dispute, he will deliberately run himself off the line of the footy for fear of contact.

He can cower away from laying a heavy tackle.

These are issues that the Eagles must rankle with. They obviously believe his football exploits as a craft outweigh his lack of physical effort when the chips are stacked against him.

In last year’s Grand Final, Magpie Brayden Maynard stood under the drop of the ball in the middle of the MCG.

Ryan put the crosshairs on him and poleaxed him while Maynard was wide open and completely vulnerable.

But in the third quarter, Ryan was tested with a ball that was over his head but reachable. Running back Ryan was almost as vulnerable as Maynard had been earlier.

Except this time when it was Ryan’s time to go, he didn’t. He opted for self preservation over a sacrifice.

If you consistently evade physical contact and you are non-competitive when the contest is in dispute and you are vulnerable, you eventually will lose your place in the team.

Still only 22 years of age, he has a lot to learn.

His footballing wizardry is wonderful, especially while the team is winning.

But the coaching box and selection committee will be tested if the team loses as many as they win.

He is not wrong, but Liam has time to build body strength and turn this around. The same is said about quite a few young players in their first year. Gaffy also avoided the tuff stuff in his first year, and look at him now. He does not shirk anything anymore.

Hard to argue with the Ryan stuff really. He’ll be right though. Doing plenty right, still applies plenty of pressure and has time to add the harder edge to his game

It's lame that he's being judged more harshly because of the 'wizardry' and the hit on Maynard though.

Some of that criticism was close to the mark for mine.

With Ryan though he's still learning to play a different role. At Subi he was the man, deep forward who kicked bags of goals, took hangers and didn't have to chase much. He's pretty much doing the exact opposite at AFL level. He's still learning his craft, but he's already come a long way from what he was.

A rare moment of insight amid all the hand-wringing about high possessions/low scores:

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...w/news-story/e7b5ff706421b373de2894ea3f3547b2

The AFL is a follow-the-leader industry and it’s no surprise West Coast are the highest kicking team in the competition.
But the Eagles are still positive with their possession game. What’s the old saying? Beware of imitations?

Interesting read but a bit disingenuous to say the 6-6-6 isn't playing a part aswell though. Teams seem worried about momentum being hard to stop with the 6-6-6 hence being scared to cough up the ball and concede a goal which could lead to 3 or 4 quick ones against.

Interesting read but a bit disingenuous to say the 6-6-6 isn't playing a part aswell though. Teams seem worried about momentum being hard to stop with the 6-6-6 hence being scared to cough up the ball and concede a goal which could lead to 3 or 4 quick ones against.

Also people need to remember WCE has been developing the list and training to this gameplan for years. You are not going to ad hoc it in 1 off season.

Its not like Richmond's "tackle and pressure lots" gameplan. You can't copy it just by trying hard.

Collingwood cheer squad member

art_mcguire-420x0.jpg

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I heard Mick Malthouse on "Sports Talk" talkback radio today. Some guy rang up asking how good Hawthorn's 3-peat was and Mick said straight out that Brisbane was much better than the Hawks, with their team mainly staying up because their competitors were declining due to the drag on recruiting from GCS and GWS. Ended the call by stating "give me my 94 premiership team vs them and we would've seen just how good Clarko would have been in 2014".

Got a lot of time for David King when it comes to footage breakdown. He’s a bad boundary rider but have always thought when he gets a chance to prepare his thoughts and make a statement he’s usually on the money. Decent breakdown that, albeit only of one passage of play.

Got a lot of time for David King when it comes to footage breakdown. He’s a bad boundary rider but have always thought when he gets a chance to prepare his thoughts and make a statement he’s usually on the money. Decent breakdown that, albeit only of one passage of play.

Means nothing IMO.

You could probably pick out 10 of these passages of play a game I reckon.

Means nothing IMO.

You could probably pick out 10 of these passages of play a game I reckon.

Probably, but it’s at least a clear bit of footage where you could say effort isn’t up to scratch.

Basically I’m a sucker for any and all behind the goal footage.

You could definitely pick 10 from that game. When we've been really bad the last few years, it's almost always been down to a lack of defensive pressure in the middle and not running hard enough. I'm thinking of the games where it seems the opposition has more players around the ball and more players spare outside the contest. When you see that, you know we're in for a painful night.

Don't know that I'd call it a hangover. We seem to have at least one of those games a year.

Fine with the breakdown. Not ok with the mixed metaphor that is "embryonic stages of a premiership hangover"

Are we witnessing the first round of Friday arvo $3.50 pints of a premiership hangover? Maybe we are.
Embryonic stages of post-premiership morning sickness? I sure hope not but it's possible.
But you can't mix the two like that.
Lift your game, Kingy.

Reckon one of the worst I've witnessed was that bloody 2016 final against the dogs. Honestly felt like the players didn't care. I know that's not true but as a supporter that night I was dirty as!! I was so annoyed that I felt like I cared more than the players did. That's all about effort, and that night, it seemed like there was absolutely none. Last week wasn't much better. We'll see what they're made of this week.

I agree with Kingy. In the games I’ve seen so far, we don’t really look like we give a s**t when the going gets tough. We switched off after 5 goals in the first quarter against Brissy and Freo, and we’re lucky GWS didn’t kick straight or we’d have lost that one too. The only decent game we’ve played this year in my opinion was against the pies.

I agree with Kingy. In the games I’ve seen so far, we don’t really look like we give a s**t when the going gets tough. We switched off after 5 goals in the first quarter against Brissy and Freo, and we’re lucky GWS didn’t kick straight or we’d have lost that one too. The only decent game we’ve played this year in my opinion was against the pies.
Yeah not that we're in a terrible position but I keep thinking and really hoping that we'll gel after the bye and come home strongly.

On SM-G925I using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back