Preview Changes R6 v Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Our possession type football worked beautifully last year because we kept the ball moving constantly. Last year we were marking the ball and moving it straight away, this year we’re holding onto it too long and giving other teams too long to set up.

Ryan Allen Kennedy and darling all going for a mark let us down last week. We. Need. Crumbers.

Rioli :(
We need Rioli back urgently.

But not before round 11 please.

The worry for Sunday is that Kardinya is now the narrowest ground in the league. Our game plan won us a flag and I think it still works in the right conditions, but it has been shown up for a lack of adaptability.

The worry for Sunday is that Kardinya is now the narrowest ground in the league. Our game plan won us a flag and I think it still works in the right conditions, but it has been shown up for a lack of adaptability.

The Grand Final isn't played at Kardinia Park.

As last year demonstrated, getting thumped at a suburban ground (North in Tassie) means nothing in the grand scheme of things except for the 4 points.

Still, I would be quite unhappy with an uncompetitive effort.

The Grand Final isn't played at Kardinia Park.

As last year demonstrated, getting thumped at a suburban ground (North in Tassie) means nothing in the grand scheme of things except for the 4 points.

Still, I would be quite unhappy with an uncompetitive effort.

Pretty much exactly my point, which is why I said "the worry for Sunday"....not confident at all.

People trying to frame it as Simmo making an excuse for the loss are just trolling. Both teams play on the same deck so on game day it's irrelevant, and anyone with a brain understands that.

Correct. For context, Simmo didn’t mention it until 5 minutes into his 7-minute press conference, and only then in response to a question about Barrass.

And then after several more questions on the topic he said “let’s not take away from what happened tonight, we got touched up and outhunted, it had nothing to do with how hard the ground is”

The first time a side tries scrubbing in the "dirty football" plan when it's fine conditions...we will beat them by 10 plus goals.

Being too tall in the wet and our mids taking the night off is a different issue to the game plan being obselete.
This is not a new strategy against us, as usual the lazy media types have only just noticed this strategy. It's much easier said than done.

In the back half of last year opposition teams continually talked about trying to keep the ball low going in 50 to avoid McGovern etc. Our pressure up the field made this a lot harder to implement than say. Port is one of the first teams who managed to get it right (so did essendon), however both times our pressure up the field was poor.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given the ground and conditions i wouldnt mind just the 1 change based on the extended squads.

In: Venables
Out: Vardy

Play an extra mid (masten) over a second ruck, and let allen pinch hit

I am determined. They won't let me down this time.
Ginger Rohan to kick 12. :D

This is probably your best chance to claw one back, our ins are... uninspiring.

If I had to guess it'd be

In - Venables
Out - Vardy

Only other decisions to make are which of the following will play-1 of Rotham/Cole and 1 of Allen/Brander
If you’re dropping Vardy I don’t think you can drop Allen as well. Brander’s got no ruck experience.

I think Vardy and Allen are competing for a spot, my bet is Allen stays in. Petch and cole are probably safe, so it's a question of whether they play another pressure half forward (Venables) or a taller defender (Brander). I'd like to see venables in to do a defensive forward role on their rebounding halfbacks - I am not happy to hear that tuohy is back (he's a gun).

So assuming Cole, Pet and Allen are safe it looks like one from Rotham, Brander, Venables or Vardy. Really hope we take this opportunity to try something new in the ruck. We’re up against the ladder leaders at their fortress with Stanley in the ruck. Hickey rucked majority of games at the Saints so give him the full time gig with Allen and Schoey as chop outs. Vardy isn’t doing enough up forward to warrant picking the extra tall

Remove this Banner Ad

Back