The Footy Show's 2019 format revealed (and other Nine AFL stuff)

Remove this Banner Ad

How unsuprising, 3 random unenertaining campaigner randomly slapped together for a tv show. People who already hated the footy show arent watching it and the people who still liked Ed or Sam are gone aswell. Im glad its sinking now, they could make a new show with some of the talent they have at 9 and show it on another night to the TFB

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's interesting to note that The Footy Show essentially came about more or less by accident, they had a panel type show for the '93 Grand Final which proved popular so they started a weekly version the following year which quickly built an audience because it was a fresh new format that no one else was doing, and we got to see the players being themselves, it came across as spontaneous and was, if anything, helped by the fact that Channel 7 refused to allow them to use any footy vision

Of course 7 then constantly tried to replicate it with stuff like 4 Quarters (i have vague memories of Sandy Roberts and a turnstile ... ) and Live and Kicking, none of which really worked because there was already a show doing it better. Fast forward a couple of decades and the old TFS is stale and dead (mainly because the players are media managed to within an inch of their life and the personality and knockabout likeability of the early days is long gone) and so The Front Bar with its simple three person panel that work well together and bounce jokes off each other, with the odd guest from yesteryear thrown in is now the way to go, and guess what? Channel 9 are trying to copy it but there's no point because there's already a show doing it.

Is there a big enough potential audience for both shows, or will only one (as history would suggest) rate well enough to survive?

Last edited:
People often laugh like that when they are nervous or have anxiety. I can see why someone who suffers from this sort of affliction would have it brought on by hosting the show in its current state and knowing most people either hate it or are praying on its downfall.

Last edited:
People often laugh like that when they are nervous or have anxiety. I can see why someone who suffers from this sort of affliction would have it brought on by hosting the show in its current state and knowing most people wither hate it or are praying on its downfall.

Yeah it's anxiety for sure. I think Neroli is okay as a host when not laughing. I don't think she is the problem. Watching the Front Bar again last night Andy Maher just has to keep the show moving which is all she needs to do.

It is Mick and Sam that are obviously the reason the show is a success. Both are obviously very popular commedians. Lehmo, Fev and Alcott are not even the 'B team' compared to those guys.

As mentioned above, I think there is also just not enough people interested to spread accross two AFL variety type shows. The Front Bar started small and built up over the years where as this version of the footy show was thrown straight into prime time not allowing it to grow.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back