Admiral Byng

Brownlow Medallist
May 3, 2009
Perth
AFL Club
Fremantle
Other Teams
Perth Scorchers
I have never eaten goat. Seems common in other parts of the world.

Anyone tried it? What's it like - similar to lamb or mutton - or very different?

Whack some chili sauce on it and you can eat just about anything.

Crocodile and Kangaroo the most out of the ordinary stuff I've eaten, both were good. I wouldn't mind trying insects, supposed to be nutrient dense.

Anyone tried it? What's it like - similar to lamb or mutton - or very different?
Came to love goat during my time in west Africa. Absolutely amazing meat when cooked right. Very hard to describe but maybe would say it tastes like a more gamey type of lamb.

Have never eaten oxtail but here a lot of chefs say it's amazing.

When I lived in Moscow I had a Russian woman cook for me a few times a week. I would buy the products for her to use at a local market, including the meat.

One day she said to me, "You like horse don't you?". It turns out that the meat I had been buying thinking it was beef was actually horse.

If you like Indian do yourself a favour and order a goat curry next time - delicious. Word of warning though it's served on the bone.

Haggis, Kidney, Liver, Ox Tongue, Goat, Emu, Crocodile.
Eaten all of those.
I wouldn't mind trying insects, supposed to be nutrient dense.
Tried crickets and worms for the first time recently on a trip to Mexico. Not terrible, but I wouldn't be exactly rushing back.
Oxtail's great. Gelatinous and meaty.
One day she said to me, "You like horse don't you?". It turns out that the meat I had been buying thinking it was beef was actually horse.
Now horse I've never done - what was it like??

Also never done dog, cat, bison, elk, wild boar, pheasant, alpaca, donkey, guinea pig, camel, llama or wichety grub. Have done snake and frogs legs though.

Not too bad. Similar to beef, which is why I never noticed. A little tougher but I just thought that was the
quality of the meat.

I used to drink in an after hours place in South London called the Green Leaf Cafe. It was run by Yardies and had old dudes playing Jamaican dancehall music in the backroom in a cloud of smoke and it did the best goat curry I've ever eaten.
When I lived in Moscow I had a Russian woman cook for me a few times a week. I would buy the products for her to use at a local market, including the meat.

Friend of mine has a French wife and I've eaten horse with them.

Goat curry needs to be a well made one, generally Indians et al will buy a whole one because even out here it's just cheaper. But you need to get rid of the bones. If it's a run of the mill one full of big circular bones it just ruins the experience and you barely get any of the soft meat.

Never eaten cat or dog. Pretty sure I've tried everything else named in this thread.

Worst food: fried tarantula. Dirty, horrible flavour.
Worst drink: banana beer. Terribly sour, has the consistency of runny porridge with sand in it (it actually has millet in it).

Never knowingly eaten dog or cat, but I'm not confident all the meat I've eaten from some of those roadside food stalls throughout Asia was beef.

I'm still pretty inexperienced when it comes to seafood, even though I like most of what I've tried so far. Still don't think I've eaten crab, lobster or octopus.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ll
Eaten all of those.

Tried crickets and worms for the first time recently on a trip to Mexico. Not terrible, but I wouldn't be exactly rushing back.

Oxtail's great. Gelatinous and meaty.

Also never done dog, cat, bison, elk, wild boar, pheasant, alpaca, donkey, guinea pig, camel, llama or wichety grub. Have done snake and frogs legs though.
The llama, alpaca, guinea pig thing is no big deal. Llama & alpaca is just nice tender red meat. As good as any other meat really.
Guinea pig however is nice, but you tend the get the whole animal served up on your plate as they are so small. So you sure know who you’ve got - it could put you off.

Have had many goat in Greece, it's practically a traditional for events and celebrations to get 1 on a spit. If cooked right it's bloody beautiful. I've even had the privilege ( if you could call it that) of helping kill some goats as well for eating. Love all that cultural stuff and try to get involved as much as I can.

Came to love goat during my time in west Africa. Absolutely amazing meat when cooked right. Very hard to describe but maybe would say it tastes like a more gamey type of lamb.

Winters coming up so get down to the market and get some oxtail, although it is a bit overpriced these days. My go to recipe is from Rick Stein, this site seems to replicate it well.

https://jonoandjules.com/category/food/oxtail/

I used to drink in an after hours place in South London called the Green Leaf Cafe. It was run by Yardies and had old dudes playing Jamaican dancehall music in the backroom in a cloud of smoke and it did the best goat curry I've ever eaten.

Friend of mine has a French wife and I've eaten horse with them.

Did you have french fries cooked in horse fat by any chance? Amazing stuff

d82aaa3a-b691-46a4-a721-4465d2beab92._SR300,300_.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back